Bike Rack Recommendation - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We have a Swagman ( no criticism of other brands) and carry bikes that have been our daily commuters 30 lbs per bike plus 20 for the rack) . We do nothing special when loading the bikes except a bungee here for peace of mind, a cable and lock there, because... We see no ill effects on the bikes. This thread has been disappointingly so high school. The real concern, unmentioned before, is the torque the bike rack (and bikes) put ont the bumper. Watch it and have it reinforced at the first sign of strain. This is what is important.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:21 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
"This thread has been disappointingly so high school."
I don't know what you mean by this statement. I don't have any bikes and I don't have a bike rack, so I have nothing in this game.
What I have read so far is simply people expressing their preferences and the reasons for their choice.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:55 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Interesting point about weight. Doubt if I would move mine during a trip but nonetheless a good point to consider when purchasing. Thanks!
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupfish View Post
... The real concern, unmentioned before, is the torque the bike rack (and bikes) put ont the bumper. Watch it and have it reinforced at the first sign of strain. This is what is important.
Bumper? I guess I think of most, if not all, 2" hitch receivers as welded frame mounted receivers, and ETI "warrants" their welded frame mounted receiver for 150 lb. If you stay under that, shouldn't have a "torque" problem.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Bumper? I guess I think of most, if not all, 2" hitch receivers as welded frame mounted receivers, and ETI "warrants" their welded frame mounted receiver for 150 lb. If you stay under that, shouldn't have a "torque" problem.
I agree. The receiver is welded to the bumper and to a smaller cross member just ahead of it. While Escape does put a safe limit of 150 lbs for a limit on it, under normal towing conditions I bet it could easily handle more. But, why push it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
1up with a fendered bike

I carry my touring bike, which has fenders, on a 1up carrier. For the rear tire, I use a short piece of a 4 inch pool noodle around the bar that normally rests on the tire, to hold it against the fender. The front bar still rests on the tire. The pool noodle does a good job of holding the bike in place, although I get more movement than when the bar is directly against the tire.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:11 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
a side note about the Escapee 2 that I got for my E'21... instead of a conventional 'pin', it uses a bolt, whihc when torqued down eliminates all bounce and wobble in the hitch.

after installing the rack, I went and got a nice big combo wrench in the correct side, and stowed it in my trailer's tool box.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #28

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
a side note about the Escapee 2 that I got for my E'21... instead of a conventional 'pin', it uses a bolt, whihc when torqued down eliminates all bounce and wobble in the hitch.

after installing the rack, I went and got a nice big combo wrench in the correct side, and stowed it in my trailer's tool box.
I think all the Swagman racks come with the bolt to eliminate wiggle.
Just make sure it is nice and tight. If it is loose it can wallow out the threads in the rack . I drilled out and rethreaded one for a friend who had been running it in by hand.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I think all the Swagman racks come with the bolt to eliminate wiggle.
Just make sure it is nice and tight. If it is loose it can wallow out the threads in the rack . I drilled out and rethreaded one for a friend who had been running it in by hand.
yup, hence my packing a big open/box combo wrench in the right size... its like 1" wrench or something.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
If one does not want or need a platform type carrier, Hollywood makes a good carrier that clears the spare tire. It has many of the features of more expensive carriers, like a tightening device to lock it into the receiver. While it is not rv rated I’ve carried 3 bikes on my 4 bike carrier for many a mile and not had any problem. They even include a lock for the receiver and a thick cable with lock to help secure ur bikes.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Thanks to the OP for this thread. I respect all opinions.

For me, the pièce de résistance was a demo of the 1UP at the Bluebonnet Rally we are currently attending. I’m sold!

I have started saving for the 1UP.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Hey Red Dog, Hope all is well on the road. I'm still looking for a bike rack. Been going back and forth between the 1Up and the Swagman. The more I research, the more it just seems people fall into one category or the other in terms of their preference. If you get the chance maybe you could let us know what was it about the 1 Up demo that solidified your opinion. Thanks a million.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:16 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
If you get the chance maybe you could let us know what was it about the 1 Up demo that solidified your opinion. Thanks a million.
Not Red, but in my case it was a) being RV rated and b) Bennett giving it a thumbs up.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Not Red, but in my case it was a) being RV rated and b) Bennett giving it a thumbs up.
Kinda sounds like you are looking for a scapegoat should you need one.

You were probably one of the first I showed it to, as I got it about a month before that rally a few years back.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #35

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i think most people with the Swagman would prefer the 1Up its only $$$ that holds them back. If you can afford it and have nice bikes it seems a no brainier to go with the 1up. If not the Swagman works.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

I have started saving for the 1UP.

Fred M.
To paraphrase Groucho Marx, "I wouldn't have any bike rack that I had to save up for."

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
To paraphrase Groucho Marx, "I wouldn't have any bike rack that I had to save up for."

Ron

I am but a common man with meager financial resources. [emoji851]

...never had an Escape"
Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Hey Red Dog, Hope all is well on the road. I'm still looking for a bike rack. Been going back and forth between the 1Up and the Swagman. The more I research, the more it just seems people fall into one category or the other in terms of their preference. If you get the chance maybe you could let us know what was it about the 1 Up demo that solidified your opinion. Thanks a million.

I liked how easily a bike could be mounted and dismounted from the rack upon arrival at the campsite. At night, one could quickly put the bikes on the rack for secure storage.

My old Saris bike rack requires that I remove the front tire and lock it onto the rack, while securing the rear tires with a large wide strap. Then, I have to find a place to store the front wheel while traveling. Since I carry two bikes, I have learned to sandwich the two front tires in between the bikes and secure with with bungees. This has caused the nice paint job to be scraped off both bikes. Not happy. Ready for a major change.

Regards,

Fred M.

...never had an Escape"
Old 04-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #39
Site Team

I bought a Swagman Escapee2 but if I'd known about 1Up, I probably would have bought one of those instead
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #40

Trailer: 2011 13A
I have a Yakima holdup 2inch. Maybe not rv rated but have two 30 lb mountain bikes 20,000 km on escape trailer. no problems as of yet. also has built in cable lock, and platform has high rise so no problem on ferry ramps etc.
koko_pellii is offline   Reply With Quote