City commuting - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2015, 04:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
City commuting

I'm looking for cost effective and safe ways to unhitch and make day trips to downtown areas without first paying to hook up at a campground or RV park. Obviously, we can't just unhitch the trailer in a Walmart parking lot. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
I'm looking for cost effective and safe ways to unhitch and make day trips to downtown areas without first paying to hook up at a campground or RV park. Obviously, we can't just unhitch the trailer in a Walmart parking lot. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Places I've heard of, but never tried. Churches, if you can find someone to ask. Public building parking lots on weekends. Visitor/Information centers.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Before I'd leave the trailer unattended: I'd being using a combination of locks. In the case of my 5.0 TA, I have a chain lock on both the tow pin, and another thru 2 wheel rims.

Can you unhitch in a City or State park for a few hours (day-use area)? Or does everyone want $$$?
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
You may want to check with a Camping World. I know that the Good Sam's Membership includes free dumping of tanks. They may consider allowing you to leave your rig there if they feel you might spend money in the store.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 15A 2015, Scheduled for July 8th
Transit park and ride lots? Take the bus downtown. But I wouldn't leave the trailer over night.
St3v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by St3v3 View Post
Transit park and ride lots? Take the bus downtown. But I wouldn't leave the trailer over night.
This makes sense, because you would actually be using the lot as intended, to park (both the tug and trailer) and ride. It also takes care of parking for the tug downtown which would otherwise be needed. On the other hand, they might not like the use of two spaces. And, of course, this only works for parking if public transit works for getting where you're going.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Churches, if you can find someone to ask.
I'm not sure why churches are so often mentioned. Do people think anything on church property is less likely to be a target of theft or vandalism? Personally, I would not ask a private organization that I have no affiliation with to store my trailer. Now if you are a member...

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Public building parking lots on weekends.
I assume this means public buildings that are not open on the weekend so the lot isn't needed. I'm not sure what that would be, other than a school (and I'm sure the trailer would not be welcome at most schools), or maybe some small town city halls. Interesting idea if you can find just the right facility.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #8

I actually left a trailer (rented tent trailer, but the principle is the same) parked in a police department lot in a small town (population 2500) while taking the tug on a drive through a national park. We had stopped there to ask the police where they would suggest, and they offered their lot. I wouldn't count on this working anywhere else, or ever again, and of course I wouldn't have done it without their invitation.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
First thing that came to my mind was a large gas station with enough room to accommodate your trailer without disrupting their business Go in, ask more the manager, slip them $10 or $20 bucks and all will be good. Might want to ask what time their shift ends and who to speak to after they've left just to ensure some continuity.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Truck stop?

But as others have mentioned I'd worry about theft no matter where it was left unattended.

T&R is offline   Reply With Quote