Custom Flooring - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 17 ft Escape
Custom Flooring

We are in the process of purchasing a new 17ft plan A & are hoping to choose custom fabric, Formica & flooring. We are looking at Sunbrella for the fabric & Marmoleum for the flooring. Our goal is to pick bright, solid colors. Any input on these or other custom fabric or flooring.
lkulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
There's a bunch of threads on this forum regarding picking out those particular custom items for your trailer. You can search for them using the search feature and a few key words. Or just start looking at the various sections of this forum and start reading the individual threads. That's what I did when I first joined this forum. Let's say I spent hours and hours each day reading and learning, bookmarking useful information and filling out spreadsheets with tons of useful information on various options and stuff to buy for the trailer.

Yeah, you're also gonna want to read past threads to find out about various options you can get on the trailer, some of which aren't listed in their options list.

Have fun!

In the meanwhile, here's some tips for ya. ETI (Escape Trailer Industries) will only install the Formica brand, so don't bother wasting your time looking at other brands. I was so bummed when I decided on one from another company. I thought they were just using "formica" like everyone uses the word "kleenex".

You can go to the formica website and request samples. Get the largest size possible for what you're thinking of. And get lots as what you see on your monitor will look different in person. Trust me on that! I can't remember if they have a limit as to how many free samples you can get, but if there's one, just start a new order. Once you start narrowing it down, you can get multiples of the same color so you can see how it looks on a larger scale than one sample piece.

Plus, you can also compare it to any flooring you may want, as well as your fabric. We went to Great Floors (I think that's who it was - a local chain but I don't know if they go as far south as you) where we looked at a bazillion different samples. Found what I loved and we made sure that Pioneer Building and Supply in Chilliwack carried it.

Just about everyone orders their custom flooring through them. ETI will pick it up and either company will hold it for you for however long is necessary. You will have to pay for your flooring, over and above what you're paying ETI for that option. For the formica you just pay ETI's options charge, but you don't have to pay for the formica itself.

If by any chance you head up to ETI for a personal visit, be sure to visit Pioneer. You can view their flooring samples and order right then and there. For the formica, you just tell ETI when you decide.

For fabric - lots of places you can get the fabric. Some will purchase from a company in Canada so they don't have to pay high shipping charges to get it to ETI from the USA. (Yes, you're paying for your own fabric above the options charge to ETI.) I hauled ours up as we're only 3 hours away and I was delivering other stuff as well. Many will get the Sunbrella brand but there are other upholstery brands that you can choose from. If you have a store near you, such as Calico Corners, go in there and look through their sample books. We were pleasantly surprised at how soft the fabric was. We thought indoor/outdoor type would be harsh feeling.

Some places you can get free fabric samples from and others you have to pay for them. Once I narrowed it down, I purchased a yard of the purple fabric I fell in love with (basically I tossed all the other samples once I found that color) off ebay to see how it looked, draped it over our couch and compared the flooring and formica samples to it. (Yeah, I was able to snag a sample of the flooring from a local rep - cool!)

I purchased the fabric before we even ordered the trailer (at that time ETI had closed their books to orders) as I didn't know if it would be available closer to the build date. It sat up in my attic for a very long time. I got mine mail order from a place in Florida.

Fabrics can get discontinued, as well as flooring and formica. It would be wise to order the first two as soon as you can. However, I'm not sure how early on ETI orders your formica - that's something you can ask them. I had several others I liked a tad bit less than what we went with, so I would have been okay if our first choice had been discontinued. Not so much with the flooring and fabric. Our flooring was ordered many, many months in advance.

Like I said - have fun! That part was the most fun and the most frustrating part of ordering our trailer.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Here is a past thread that states they will not install Marmoleum type flooring so you may want to confirm that is still the case
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ring-6810.html

We put it in an old Boler we had and it was a lot trickier than vinyl but looked great.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 17 ft Escape
Thank you so very much for your detailed reply, it was very helpful.
lkulus is offline   Reply With Quote