Escape in Lightning - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 17b
Escape in Lightning

The monsoons have hit and it's popping outside. I'm currently in a house, but I've set through these big lightning storms before in a trailer and wondered if I were safe or not.

Any thoughts? Is a fiberglass trailer safer than a stick built trailer in lightning? And how about the Aliner types where you have basically just a metal shell around you? I've researched this some and never can get a definitive answer.

Any electrical engineer types out there?

Anyone have any good lightning stories to think about while I'm hunkered down here?

Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I figure that lightning can do pretty much whatever it feels like. If you happen to be somewhere in the path of least resistance at the wrong time you're toast - but the odds are pretty long against ever being hit. One time we were canoeing when a huge lightning storm hit. We all debated if we were better off under the trees or out in the (shallow) river. We couldn't decide so just drank beer and waited it out.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Hey,

I only have anecdotal information as a Air Craft Structural Repair mechanic for the USAF for 23 years . Aircraft get struck all the time most of the time it is the metal parts and it is dissipated through the skin and static dischargers. However, occasionally it will leave a small hole or scorched area of fasteners etc. When it has it the fiberglass parts if it is a part designed with electrical discharge / bonding straps attached to the air frame. The fiberglass parts not bonded or having woven in dischargers did not fair well. If you check the news as of late lightening hitting vehicles seems to be happening more though there has been no injuries or deaths that I have heard.

See: Lightning strikes through new SUV's windshield at Brevard County dealership | News - Home

Perhaps if you are hooked up to electrical and no one has un done the way the outlets are wired from the factory the strike MIGHT be discharged to the power pole, if you have an EMS system you might want to query them on how it would handle a strike. If you are boon docking or connected to a generator that is not grounded I would guess damage would occur to the electrical system and generator etc.
Cypher
Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 17b
Wow, crazy video.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Found this about lightning this morning:Lightning myths debunked: How to survive a thunderstorm if you’re stuck outside (VIDEO).

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
In 2009, we were on our "big trip" to the east coast. We were stopped at a KOA in Embreeville, PA. That night there was a huge thunder/lightning storm. Being originally from the mid-west, we both love big thunder storms. We were sitting at the front window of our 17B with the 2009 Tacoma parked in front watching the show. All of a sudden there was a huge flash right in front of the Tacoma accompanied simultaneously by the loudest bang I've ever heard. It made our ears ring it was so loud.

When we recovered, Kathy said she thought she had left the sliding window in the Tacoma open and it was raining very hard. So, I left the 17, in my underwear, to go close the window. the plan was that when I got to the truck, Kathy would hit the keyless entry thingy to open the door. Here I am, standing in the pouring rain in my shorts, and the damn door won't open. I ran back to the 17, got the key and used it to open the door. When I got in, I could hear a buzzing sound, like a motor running. (By the way, the sliding window was indeed open and the interior was soaked). I tried the horn, it worked, the headlights, they worked, tried to start the truck, no joy. I traced the noise down to coming from under the hood. It turned out to be the windshield wiper motor. Since I couldn't shut it off, I got a wrench and disconnected the battery. Just as I was closing the hood, a fellow came running over from the other side of the campground as asked if we were alright. He thought we had been hit by the lightning bolt. Apparently, the lightning had hit about twenty feet in front of our truck.

Next morning, we re-evaluated our situation and wound up calling the local Toyota dealer to come get the truck. Following their analysis, it was determined that the lightning had taken out all eight computers. The Tacoma was DOA. We also found out that the lightning had fried all of the LED lights in the front half of the 17 and taken out the circuit boards in the furnace and the electrical monitor panel.

The Toyota dealer said they needed to have confirmation from ICBC, the provincial insurance company, that they would cover the cost of the repairs, which were substantial. We wound up dealing with ICBC for just about three weeks and in the end, they said they were writing off the truck. So, there we were, in Pennsylvania with no way to get home. Kinda scary.

End the end, we had to leave our truck in Pennsylvania. We rented a U-Haul truck that would pull the 17, loaded all of the stuff from our Tacoma into it and drove to my brother's place in Michigan. We were able to obtain a replacement vehicle, thanks to some very rigorous leg-work on the part of our local Toyota dealer. I had to go to Ontario to pick it up, drive back to Michigan to get the 17 and we then headed home to BC. Our three week trip to the east coast took us almost two months.

You know, you always want to go on a trip that you will remember. Well, this is one we will NEVER FORGET .

Doug
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

Wow - I hope Tacoma's don't attract lightning! Glad you and Kathy were unhurt anyway.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Wow - I hope Tacoma's don't attract lightning! Glad you and Kathy were unhurt anyway.
I second that Hope Tacoma's don't attract lightning !!

Cypher
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I remember as a kid riding in the back of our buick station wagon ( yes prior to wearing seat belts ) looking out the back window over the starcraft tent trailer we had during a bad storm in Cape Breton N.S. and hearing the loudest noise of my life and the biggest flash of lighting I have ever seen hit a tree right behind us. I just remember My Grand Mother who was driving just started praying.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Wow Doug, that is scary. The thought of you running around in your underwear, that is.
Sure glad you and Kathy were okay.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote