Escape Trailer DMV Registration Fee - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Escape Trailer DMV Registration Fee

All,

I live in California and have a 2018 Escape 19 trailer. California DMV classifies it as trailer coach and the vehicle registration fee and license fee was $359 in total. I found out DMV labelled it as gasoline powered trailer but DMV local office agent said it does not make any difference in terms of the fees.

Wonder how much were escape owners in California charged by DMV. I just suspect DMV does not get the record or fee done correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Oliver
oliverxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverxia View Post
All,

I live in California and have a 2018 Escape 19 trailer. California DMV classifies it as trailer coach and the vehicle registration fee and license fee was $359 in total. I found out DMV labelled it as gasoline powered trailer but DMV local office agent said it does not make any difference in terms of the fees.

Wonder how much were escape owners in California charged by DMV. I just suspect DMV does not get the record or fee done correctly.

Thanks for your help!

Oliver
Just paid ours and it was 213 on a 2013 19 ft . They raised their fees a couple years ago . Same for vehicles . Before the raise in fees ,it was back in 2017 ,194 . Should of been 160-170 by now .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
we have 2017 19' and was $293 total (2020 sticker) ours is classified as CCH (Coach)

Edit: was $359 last year
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Registered our 2019 5.0 TA in May on our way home from picking up our trailer. Our registration fees were $482.00 what really hurts is the State sales Tax. That one was $3523.00
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
Registered our 2019 5.0 TA in May on our way home from picking up our trailer. Our registration fees were $482.00 what really hurts is the State sales Tax. That one was $3523.00
Yes same for us . Ours was a little over 2500 not including DMV fees in 2013. Pat
Old 11-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
California DMV Calculator

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculator...VehicleForm.do
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
The title of this post should include California. The DMV fees are outrageous, just like the gas taxes and all the other "temporary" taxes. No wonder almost 700k people left last year. What a mess!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yes same for us . Ours was a little over 2500 not including DMV fees in 2013. Pat
One item to make sure was they are using the trailer’s USA funds not Canadian . And believe me they are not bright when it comes to figuring your Canadian trailer ‘s worth .Pat
Old 11-02-2019, 11:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The title of this post should include California. The DMV fees are outrageous, just like the gas taxes and all the other "temporary" taxes. No wonder almost 700k people left last year. What a mess!
So right Ross . It is making it very hard to live here . Especially all the rest . Just survived again . Pat
Old 11-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Pat- hope you can breathe out there with all the smoke. You can always camp out here; plenty of room.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We are in general taxed more than in the US, but fortunately our trailer registration is not affected like for many of you. That just seems extreme, especially if you have to do it once a year.

Here trailer plates are continuous, which means that you only pay to register that trailer and plate once. You do not renew them like your motor vehicles. Heck, you don't even have to provide proof of insurance coverage like you do for motor vehicles. $109.45 CAD one time cost for as long as you own the trailer.

Who knows what time will bring, we are being hit with more taxes all the time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Pat- hope you can breathe out there with all the smoke. You can always camp out here; plenty of room.
Hi Ross ! The smoke has died down what you can see now , it’s what you can’t see that’s a bother . Been cleaning and vacuuming etc. we are ok . Just a lot of sleepless nights , but now can relax . Thankyou for the invitation though . This is your second invite , the first when I was working on fridge in the heat years ago who knows may have to take you up on the invites . Thanks Ross ! Pat
Old 11-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 19'
In CA you can get permanent trailer tag if the trailer overall length is less than 16ft... our previous trailer was on that, we just need to pay the $5 maintenance fee every some years (I think 4? 5?)... now here's a justification to get a 15A...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
$109.45 CAD one time cost for as long as you own the trailer.

Who knows what time will bring, we are being hit with more taxes all the time.
That is rising from $109.45 to $163.65, as announced in the Alberta budget last month. Still cheap, given that is only once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Heck, you don't even have to provide proof of insurance coverage like you do for motor vehicles.
No, both because it would be impractical for continuous registration (because insurance only goes for a year at a time), and because in Alberta the tow vehicle's liability insurance covers the trailer (and government requirements for insurance are only for liability coverage).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That is rising from $109.45 to $163.65, as announced in the Alberta budget last month. Still cheap, given that is only once.

No, both because it would be impractical for continuous registration (because insurance only goes for a year at a time), and because in Alberta the tow vehicle's liability insurance covers the trailer (and government requirements for insurance are only for liability coverage).
Unfortunately for us DMV fees every year , separate insurance on tow vehicle and trailer . If you have a camper then insurance on truck covered camper also . The trailer is more costly to own Pat
Old 11-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My 2014 E21 was $246 this year, says 'body type CCH' which the DMV website says means "Coach", and I note an unlabeled number "4400" which I assume is the weight?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
My 2014 E21 was $246 this year, says 'body type CCH' which the DMV website says means "Coach", and I note an unlabeled number "4400" which I assume is the weight?
Just took a look at ours and it says CCH and trailer . Couldn’t find any weight . But then they had a very hard time registering trailer in the first place and papers went to Sacramento for 6 mo until I asked for some intervention . However after we paid they gave me license plate but said don’t install it until Sacramento was done . I paid them so I installed our plate . They just were very confused and never saw another Escape . In fact said we were the first in California . That was a laugh because we looked at Greg ‘s and almost saw Hot Fish Taco ‘s so......... Very frustrating experience but it is a fading memory and lots of laughs now . Pat
Old 11-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
We got great advice on this forum. Stopped in Eureka Ca. at the DMV on the way home from picking up the trailer in Canada. Got an appointment and all went fairly smooth. Took about 1 1/2 hours. They inspected the trailer, looked at each piece of documentation at least 5 times. Then it was off to the copy machine. In the end we walked out with a plate. The Title took about 3 months to arrive from Sacramento. The forums also say Lake Shasta DMV is good if you are on the 5.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
In CA you can get permanent trailer tag if the trailer overall length is less than 16ft... our previous trailer was on that, we just need to pay the $5 maintenance fee every some years (I think 4? 5?)... now here's a justification to get a 15A...
Thanks for posting. After reading previous posts, I started to worry I've been negligent on paying fees. Phew! I'll add this to the benefits list of owning a 15b. My 5 year anniversary is this month and I haven't been hit with a maintenance fee yet.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #20

Trailer: E-19 2018
Hi, Oliver,

Your California license and registration fees for your 2018 E-19 are the same as mine for my 2018 E-19, so DMV is at least consistent for the two of us.
I made an appointment at the Truckee office, and they were quite efficient, sending two inspectors outside to measure the trailer and confirm the I.D. plate info, while a clerk inside was processing the paperwork. My only concern was the limited parking in the tiny strip mall parking lot where the DMV was located, which made parking before my appointment a challenge. But once they wave you in you park right at their door.
Also, if you want vanity plates, ask while you are there. They keyed in the request while I was there so I did not have to pay for and exchange regular plates later. All in all, a good experience.
IMPORTANT CAUTION FOR NEW OWNERS: But I learned not to dawdle too long before registering once you are back in CA. They penalize you hundreds of dollars if you do not register it within a very short window like 10-15 days after bringing your Escape into CA.