Exterior access hatch locks - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Exterior access hatch locks

For our upcoming 21, we are interested in replacing the camlocks on our exterior
access hatches since we have read that many RVs share the same lock and have a key that could open yours.

Is that true of the camlocks that Escape installs?

In order to order replacements, you need. three measurements:
1. Is the lock's length 5/8" 7/8 " 1 1/8 ". Or 1 1/2 " ?
2. What is it's cam locking arm measurement? ( varies from 5/8" to 2 1/8" )
3. Does the cam locking arm have a bend to it and if it does, what's it's bend?
( varies from 1/16" to 1/2" )

Did anyone here ever replace their latch locks and happen to have these measurements?

Here's the link for how to measure:
http://ch751.com/pdfs/measuring_guide.pdf

Thanks so much if anyone has any information to share.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #2

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
For our upcoming 21, we are interested in replacing the camlocks on our exterior
access hatches since we have read that many RVs share the same lock and have a key that could open yours.

Is that true of the camlocks that Escape installs?

In order to order replacements, you need. three measurements:
1. Is the lock's length 5/8" 7/8 " 1 1/8 ". Or 1 1/2 " ?
2. What is it's cam locking arm measurement? ( varies from 5/8" to 2 1/8" )
3. Does the cam locking arm have a bend to it and if it does, what's it's bend?
( varies from 1/16" to 1/2" )

Did anyone here ever replace their latch locks and happen to have these measurements?

Here's the link for how to measure:
http://ch751.com/pdfs/measuring_guide.pdf

Thanks so much if anyone has any information to share.
Here is what I sent another member awhile back when I changed ours

Have you considered changing the cargo door lock to match the main door key? A side benefit is the extremely common as in everyone has a CH751 key will no longer allow anyone to unlock the cargo door or doors if you have more than one. And while you are at it changing the G300 series key to the much rarer G900 series?
If you look at your door lock there is a URL on it RVLocksAndMore | RV Locks | RV Keys | Fastec FIC Locks and Keys
You can go there and select keys or locks. To convert to the G900 series with the cargo doors and maybe a couple spare keys go to security upgrade and pick out a cam lock keycode like G901. Then order the spare keys and leave a note in the cam lock and spare key that you are ordering the security upgrade door lock with the same keycode of G901. Then order the new door lock and leave a note with it that you ordered cam lock or locks and keys and they were ordered as G901 or whatever # you picked.
A side advantage is anyone who wanted to grab all of the G900 series will run into a roadblock of needing the serial number from the order for a cam lock or door.
Here is the note from them explaining the method I described. As they said the G300 series is not as common but I decided to make it even more likely no one will have a key to our trailer and ordered the 900 series.
>>>>>>>>>
The G318 is not nearly as common as a CH751. We have 50 standard series codes that are rotated randomly in the field. Our 900 Series locks are definitely more secure in that you will be issued a serial number with your locks and will only be able to get keys after this order by supplying this matching serial number with your contact information. This series is only available to an end user and is not used in the manufacturing process as are our standard codes.

You can do this in one order. You will need to order keys and cam locks first. Choose any of the 900 series codes at the bottom of the key code list, you will do this for the Keys as well as the cam locks (choosing the same code for both). Then you will order the entrance lock and leave a note in the comments box to have it keyed to the same code as your other items. If you have any further questions please let us know.
<<<<<<<<<<

The new 900 series door lock with 1 cam lock and 3 keys came to $68.19 but we do not pay tax, I'm not sure if you do or not.

Also the Cam lock length is 7/8 inch and you use the arm from the old lock on the new one.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

And for those who say why bother as they can just break in with a pry bar. Locks keep honest men honest. If an honest man tries his key in our lock and it does not work he wanders off still an honest man.
Or something like that

Found where that came from.
“A lock does no more than keep an honest man, honest.”
– Robin Hobb

Why I had that tidbit stored in my brain I do not know.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
... If an honest man tries his key in our lock and it does not work he wanders off still an honest man.
LOL I get your point, but I'd have trouble calling anyone "honest" who went around trying his keys in other people's trailers.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
And for those who say why bother as they can just break in with a pry bar. Locks keep honest men honest. If an honest man tries his key in our lock and it does not work he wanders off still an honest man.
Or something like that

Found where that came from.
“A lock does no more than keep an honest man, honest.”
– Robin Hobb

Why I had that tidbit stored in my brain I do not know.
Hi: wetzk... Honesty is like pregnancy... You either are or your not!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I misplaced mine and asked a neighbor for their key, opened my hatch, thanked him, and later found mine. Something to think about, the more you make your trailer impenetrable the easier it is to be locked out.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I misplaced mine and asked a neighbor for their key, opened my hatch, thanked him, and later found mine. Something to think about, the more you make your trailer impenetrable the easier it is to be locked out.
Hi: cpaharley2008... "Of all the things I've lost in life...I miss my mind the most". Lost my truck keys once. Found them exactly where I put them. Up on the Alf shelf above the trailer door!!! Alf
Attached Thumbnails
P1030830.jpg  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
For those who might be interested in pursuing this, the tube length on the hatch locks (we have two hatches keyed alike) on our 2017 21' is 7/8". As noted above, you can use your current cam arm.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09531.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Here is what I sent another member awhile back when I changed ours
Well, I, for one, certainly appreciated this information when Ken sent it to me. (Yeah, I'm the "another member") It's been saved and will be referred to later on when we get to that point.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That's what the spares are for. If I'm locked out, and Karen doesn't have hers odds are we will somehow remember where we hid the spare.
And if all else fail's there is always the dishonest mans pry bar method
Old 07-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... "Of all the things I've lost in life...I miss my mind the most". Lost my truck keys once. Found them exactly where I put them. Up on the Alf shelf above the trailer door!!! Alf
I had to look hard but I now see why you called it the Alf shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
alf shelf.jpg  
Old 07-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #12

Quote:
I had to look hard but I now see why you called it the Alf shelf.
Hi: wetzk... Lends a new meaning to the term "Mirror image". Alf
Old 07-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #13

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
This is an interesting discussion.

Some are essentially saying, "We should never rekey anything because a real crook will defeat the lock anyway." Carried to an extreme this becomes, "Why bother with locks because crooks have crowbars."
I use a different logic: crooks are opportunists. If it's convenient and easy, they'll go for it. If I make my trailer harder to hit than yours, they'll probably go for yours.
IMO the biggest reason to rekey is so the door and the hatch(es) use the same key. That's a day-to-day benefit. I hate carrying a bunch of keys for locks I constantly use. It's harder to justify rekeying locks I only use occasionally. That's a nice-to-have. So rekeying is a twofer - better security and greater convenience.
I'm going to get a hitch lock and wheel chains to make my trailer harder to steal than the next one. Both locks will be keyed alike for convenience. I'd pay good money for them to use the same key as the trailer, but that's not an option.
I don't care about the locks that protect the Anderson hitch and the ball post on that hitch. I seldom unlock either of those.
YMMV

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #14

Rich,
check out this site https://www.boltlock.com/
It's not cheap but you can have a lot of locks that are keyed to your vehicle.
We have been thinking about it, that way we would have one key that fits the trailer and hatch and the truck key fits almost everything else.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #15

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Rich,
check out this site https://www.boltlock.com/
It's not cheap but you can have a lot of locks that are keyed to your vehicle.
We have been thinking about it, that way we would have one key that fits the trailer and hatch and the truck key fits almost everything else.

Hey Ken,
You caught me out!
I'd like everything keyed alike except the truck! Why is that? I often have the truck key in the ignition while I do things on the trailer.
My key chain was selected to make it easy to separate the truck key from all the others. It would be a royal pain to have the trailer and the truck on the same key.
Or I'd have to carry two truck keys. [emoji33]
Other than that exception, I like the idea.
Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
For anyone who has changed to a less-common key pattern of the same brand, and locks themselves out, it might be helpful to know that a well-equipped RV tech may have a full set of the keys; convince them that it's your trailer and they can open it with no tools, no parts, no damage, and nearly zero effort.

For instance, for the Fastec door locks, a ring of all keys for a given series (there are two FIC series) is US$56.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #17

Yes but the 900 series is only sold individually and requires the serial number to order another. So the RV tech will have to buy a few hundred dollars worth of locks if he wants them. And they also do not work with the master key that some dealers leave with trailers and RV's. We had one for a Coachman class C that opened most other coachman side doors.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We changed out the lock awhile back . Also bought the cover . You get 4 keys with whatever color you want . The key is round . A little better then the key everyone has going way back Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0199.jpg   IMG_0200.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #19

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We changed out the lock awhile back . Also bought the cover . You get 4 keys with whatever color you want . The key is round . A little better then the key everyone has going way back Pat
Like that it has a cover. Great choice on blue!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Like that it has a cover. Great choice on blue!
Thankyou . Much better lock . You know you got me to start using colors ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote