Factory Tour on 9/3/15 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Very interesting, thanks for posting. Made me say to myself, hey, there's really quite a bit to building those things. And answering myself. Ya think? Great pictures.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #32

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winelover View Post
Thank you, Laura and Dirk for the Escape factory tour and pictures! Excellent job!

Thanks for making my dream of an Escape trailer a little more "real". Pictures on their website and brochures have nothing on the seeing them in person! Thanks for sharing!

Denise
You're welcome Denise. Some of the technical wording was provided by Dirk as I was clueless about what I was seeing. He loves stuff like that; I'm like "whatever, just give me the damn trailer".

And you're right, seeing the few photos on their web site is nothing compared to more detailed photos. Heck, I didn't even know there was storage under the stairs of the 5.0TA until we viewed one and the owners showed up. I think that should be touted about as it's great.

If you can tour some in person, your dream will become even more vivid. and if you fly into Seattle and drive up like that couple from CA did, be sure to stop at this gas station/convenience store on the way up there (in Everson or Deming - can't remember) that has a sign up for "real milk shakes". Dirk got one and just loved it. You can pick from a variety of flavors already frozen and filled in a cup. You slap in it this stirring machine and set for how thick you want it. And then you get your own milkshake. From a company called F'Real. I think we'll have to stop there coming and going next time we cross the border. Dirk's still raving about it!

f'real: milkshakes, smoothies, frozen cappuccino

Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 PM   #33

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting. Made me say to myself, hey, there's really quite a bit to building those things. And answering myself. Ya think? Great pictures.
Dave
Thanks Dave. Yeah, there's a lot to building them. And lots I didn't notice or see because the tours are during their lunch break. I was telling Dirk this evening that it would be great if you could do something like a time lapse video of just one trailer, from start to finish. Even if it wasn't your size trailer it would be cool to see all the steps involved. How the cabinetry is attached, how the trailer comes out the mold, holding tanks attached, graphics applied and even the couch cushions flung into place.

I'd watch that video multiple times!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:16 AM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Dirk was pretty impressed that the trailer is actually molded as one piece instead of the two halves curing separately and then glued together.
Actually, the two parts are moulded separately (like most other moulded fiberglass travel trailers), and then bonded together with fiberglass cloth and resin across the joint (like most other moulded fiberglass travel trailers), but the big difference is that the bonding together is done while the two parts are still in their moulds, so they line up precisely and no hardware is needed to hold them together during bonding. That's why the top part looks like it's mounted on a rotisserie spit - essentially it is, so they can mould it, the flip it other to place it on top of the lower part. They have to cut out the door to get in to bond the parts together.

The bathroom/shower parts are placed in the lower half before the upper half in put over it, because once the two are bonded together there's no way to get those big parts in.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Here's how it's done by Brian's description. I scooped these pictures for Ten Forward's Baby Book.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Together.jpg (242.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom.jpg (214.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Out.jpg (202.5 KB, 27 views)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
If they put the bath inside the 21' before joining, what happens to these inside pieces when the unit is flipped?
Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
There's a klunk sound and all is well
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, May 2014
Terrific pictures and commentary! Thanks for posting!

Fletch & Pam
PnFSJCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If they put the bath inside the 21' before joining, what happens to these inside pieces when the unit is flipped?
And how do the bath pieces not stick to the fiberglass trailer that's curing?
Old 09-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The halves can be flipped, but they don't flip the joined unit. As Brian mentioned, the top half is flipped "right side up" so the upper mold can be attached to the lower mold. The bath inserts are placed in the bottom mold before the joining.