Quality of Escape 21 (Ordering soon) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quality of Escape 21 (Ordering soon)

I am a bit nervous after finding a few posts online stating the quality of their Escape trailer was not very good. (crooked window and other things like that) How have you owners been satisfied with yours? Should I expect a lot of small repairs starting out, or is this a finished product? Thank you!
Kodakajika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There were one or two recent posts that generated a lot of conversation and debate.
I suggest you search "Escape 21" and read other discussions, rather than base your decision on a small sample.
Use the Search function, Google Site Search at the bottom of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 10.05.20 PM.png  
Old 07-30-2019, 05:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakajika View Post
I am a bit nervous after finding a few posts online stating the quality of their Escape trailer was not very good. (crooked window and other things like that) How have you owners been satisfied with yours? Should I expect a lot of small repairs starting out, or is this a finished product? Thank you!
We have a 2017 5.0 TA that we had delivered to CT. So there was no way to do an inspection before payment or even an orientation. Couldn't be happier with our purchase. The only problem we had was with a window which was a manufacturer defect, not anything to do with the installation. My little problem was easily repaired by myself with information and parts supplied by ETI. The person at ETI that assisted me was non other than owner of the company. I sent an email, got a reply I believe the same day in a phone call from Reace. The necessary parts showed up in 2 days.
From what I have seen on this forum most problems are not related to design or construction of the trailer but to issues with appliances or purchased components and these are the same components you would find in almost any other brand of RV. From what I've seen here most people get quick and satisfactory resolution to their problem.
IMHO the quality and design of the Escape in general is far better than than the RV industry standard. 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:21 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think the quality of Escape Trailers is on par with any new automobile you can purchase today, perfect or almost perfect and anything needing fixed easily accomplished.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:10 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Depends on your expectations. If you expect a perfect product, I'd pass on getting a camper, of any brand. I did not expect a perfect product when I bought mine in 2014, I've not been disappointed.

I am very dissatisfied with Dometics, the maker of most RV appliances used in most RV's, including my Escape.

If you've not owned a trailer before you need to expect to do, or pay to have done, small repairs and maintenance. The need to have larger repairs done does happen, hopefully not on a new trailer, but they are fairly rare. In general, I believe Escapes are better quality then most other manufacturers, although not everyone agrees.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Problems (usually minor) that one person may be having can be discussed on the forum at length. These threads take on a life of their own. We have to remember that there is a pretty small sample size here on the forum but overall I can tell most are more than satisfied with their Escape. I doubt that ~360 people and 175 trailers would come from all over North America to attend the 2019 customer appreciation rally if these owners had any issues with the company that were unresolved. Keep it all in perspective.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I would echo what others have said - a few small problems and tweaks are inevitable with any RV brand, but the overall quality of Escapes is very high. I also have found a couple of big advantages with an Escape - first, when anything does go wrong you can talk directly to the factory that built your trailer and get excellent advice and, when needed, parts for service, they are very responsive and helpful. Second, this forum is an excellent source of information and help for problem solving, if you have any kind of issue or problem and post it here you'll get help, often from others who have experienced and resolved the same problem.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quality is an individual thing , some want perfection to the smallest detaill , others are of the close enough is good enough school . ( Close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades theory )
You know yourself best and need to define YOUR expectations before the purchase .
My expectations were that the trailer and its equipment / options would function properly for their intended purpose . IE: I wasn’t concerned if the cushions matched the flooring or the pin striping was the right shade of blue but I did expect the refrigerator to cool , the roof not to leak , the furnace to heat , the windows to open & close , Etc , Etc
Set your own standard and stick by them using someone else’s just. doesn’t work IMHO !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

We have had our 19 more than a year now and have had no failures or found nothing that was not installed straight.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #10

To Tbaglo: I've read everything that I can find, which is not much. Thats why I am asking here.
To Padlin: I am not expecting a perfect product. I asked if owners experienced "a lot of problems." I do expect to do maintenance. Otherwise, great feed back. Thank you.
To Everyone Else: Thank you! That is the feedback I needed. Very much appreciated.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Kodak, you list your trailer (ownership?) as an Escape 21 and yet your first post says "ordering soon." I read everything you've posted, which is not much.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

Yes, I am buying one in coming days. Thats why I am asking my question.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If I know which post concerns you, I suggest re-reading it and the responses. I think you will find that the OP has little RV experience and that several of the issues raised were actually operator error, a failure to read the manual or to understand systems.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:31 AM   #14

I am sorry. I am confused with your response. Maybe it was supposed t ooo to another thread? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Kodakajika,
I posted these comments previously in another thread but will repost FYI as you consider your purchase decision.

"We picked up our E21 on January 14, 2019. We are near the end of our 2nd extended trip since pickup and have spent 136 nights in our trailer since pickup. We have towed our E21 over 7500 miles so far this year. On the day we picked-up, we immdediately headed south figuring that we would sort out any problems during a 2 1/2 month trip. We did not stay close to Chilliwack for a few nights "just in case" as others have done.

Here are the problems we discovered in our 136 nights in our trailer: furnace sail switch got clogged with fibers (easy fix-watch video); EMS not properly adjusted (easy fix- Dave emailed photos of adjustment screw); bolts holding propane tank base plate sheared off likely during construction (more difficult fix- repaired at home in about an hour); TV swing arm installed so as to hold TV slightly off level (update-now resolved- screws holding mount to wall were loose)."

We we just lucky? I don't know but that is our experience. I will add that in the six months we were awaiting completion of our E21, I accumulated a list of problems others reported shortly after delivery of their trailers. I sent that list to Escape and asked that those items be checked on our trailer before delivery. Were they checked by someone? I don't know but we have had a virtually trouble-free 7 months of Escape ownership. Knock on wood. Maybe we were just lucky? I don't know. I feel badly for those who have not had a similar experience.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #16

Thank you, I assume that on any production line there be "holiday" work done. If it's not consistent, then I will be ordering an Escape 21 soon. Feedback from owners is really helpful. Thank you.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
I feel our Escape 19’er purchased in Dec 2018 is of excellent quality. And ETI truly stands by their products. That said, I feel travel trailers kind of fit into the same “maintenance category” as airplanes and boats. In other words, they need more maintenance & minor repairs than homes or automobiles. This is just inherent in the need to keep things kind of light. And designed to fit into small spaces.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
If you want to compare Escape quality to what else is out there look at the FB page RV Horror Stories. No unit is perfect but when you hear stories from many, many owners of other various brands I think you'll see that Escape is far, far better than most of what is out there. Three years in we are very happy.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
DH and I purchased our first Escape (a 19’) two years ago. We had a Casita (purchased new prior to that).
We liked the Casita for short jaunts, but when we took it on a 3 week trip, we found it was just too small (bad case of “cabin fever” on rainy days.

Looking at the Escape, there was no comparison in the quality dept. We’ve been really happy with our 19’.
Issues: we had an issue with the stove/oven. The manufacturer sent us the parts, we took it to a local RV repair place and they replaced the part under warranty.
The insulated bathroom window delaminated. We took it to Escape who replaced the window (with a non insulated one - it’s now standard).

We’ve had no other issues and are happy enough with Escape that we’re in the process of buying a 5.0 TA (we think the floorplan will work even better for us)
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #20
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakajika View Post
Hello Kodakajika, Welcome! We just picked up our new 21 in April and we are extremely satisfied with our new Escape. We feel the quality is far superior to all the RVs we had before - and this is our 5th RV in 30 years. Our ETI sales rep and everyone else we encountered at the company were also very professional, courteous and helpful during the whole process.

Should you expect 'a lot' of small repairs starting out? IMO, very unlikely. A few minor repairs?... maybe, but if so, likely due to the components/appliances added to the trailer and not the actual trailer itself - which is why they hold their value so well. If you do encounter something, they have great customer service. We needed 2 little things tweaked (fridge and faucet) the day after we picked it up and they took us right in and within a couple hours - it was all systems go!

Is is a finished product? 100% yes. The craftsmanship is amazing. However, with a company like this that 'builds to order', 'finished products' seldom look exactly alike. Thus, if you have the time, like someone else suggested, hunt for threads on this forum that talk about specific things ordered (we found most to be very positive and informative)...or ask your sales rep for any other common or unique requests on build sheets. ETI agrees to many things...but not all, understandably so. Good luck on your journey! - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote