Repairs and insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Hoping to adopt
Repairs and insurance

Hi all,

A couple of questions for you seasoned owners. Have any of you been involved in an accident whereby the trailer body had been significantly damaged? If so, where did you take the trailer to be repaired? Did you go to regular auto body shop or to a shop specializing in fiber glass? If there was damage to the inside, how well were the cabinetry and interior finishings repaired? Is this something that would be refered back to ETI for their input?

As well, for you Canadian owners, and more specifically those residing in BC, how is the insurance dealt with? Does ICBC cover everything or do you have to co-insure with a private carrier?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne M.

ps

I talked to Kim at ETI this morning. I've made arrangements to drop by Friday afternoon this week. She mentioned that they have demonstrator units we can look at, but I told her I wanted to see Donna's 5er- she chuckled.

wdm

wayne_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I have my trailer licence and ICBC Basic plus $2,000,000 third party liability. All together costs $90.
In addition I am insured with Aviva Elite ( through broker Hub International Barton ).
Have Guaranteed Replacement Cost, Detached Private Structures ( $5,000), Personal Property ($5,000), Emergency Vacation Expense ($2,000)
All together costs $207.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I know our insurance is much different here in alberta however I had to provide our insurance company with a copy of the bill of sale for our 19 as they wouldn't believe it was actually worth that much. I believe their listing for a 19 ft trailer was somewhere around 17,000. My response to her was thats not going to work! It took a few phone calls and emailing the bill of sale but we are now insured for the proper amount
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Our 17b is ready in a few weeks!!!! so we are getting ready to register and insure it.

Since we are BC residents I got a replacement cost quote from BCAA (350/annual including 2500 personal items on a current cost of 33,000 ouch trailer). This looks higher then Glen's insurance cost so we will keep shopping. I asked the call centre person if there was a fiberglass trailer insurance category since it seems to me that FB trailers could be cheaper to insure since they don't leak although they cost more. Call centre person said they just had one category.

I'm also curious if other Escape owners get the RV roadside service (towing, tire changing) through their auto club. In our case it's BCAA and we have to bump up our membership package. Might be overkill.... but I don't relish the thought of doing roadside tire changes.
LarryandLiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #5

I have BCAA RV Plus which covers the tow and trailer for roadside assistance.
I figure it's worth it if something happens on the road into the Skagit. Mind you, there is no cell service there.

My insurance is through Hub International Barton,
#62, 45905 Yale Road,
Chilliwack, B.C.
604 792 4116

The insurance company is Aviva Elite.

Covers the trailer at Guaranteed Replacement Cost. I called to ask, since on forums people have talked about making sure they don't use a blue book price. They said if my trailer was totaled or stolen, they would buy me a new one. IE. my 2008 would be replaced with a 2015. ( $250 deductible ).
Also covers $5,000 Private Structures and $5,000 Personal Property. $2,000 Emergency Vacation Expense.

Total Risk Premium on my 17B is $207.

Liability insurance is under my ICBC coverage. I think $100 or so for three million dollars.

- Bertolt Brecht
Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post

I'm also curious if other Escape owners get the RV roadside service (towing, tire changing) through their auto club. In our case it's BCAA and we have to bump up our membership package. Might be overkill.... but I don't relish the thought of doing roadside tire changes.
For me, I couldn't imagine doing this, as quite often I would not even have phone service, plus I could have it changed out long before they could get there.

This decision has proven to be very worthwhile, as I have never had a single flat in over 5 years now. Hoping to need to buy new tires before that ever happens.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #7

The RV coverage is an extra $19.05. I hope I never have to use it, but a small price to pay should I get stuck half way between Merritt and Hope.
That's the price of a case of Labatts Blue, and since I don't drink that stuff...

- Bertolt Brecht
Old 07-29-2014, 04:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I probably wouldn't buy RV roadside coverage just to avoid changing a tire on a lightweight travel trailer, but I do carry it in case of more significant events (and because we also have a motorhome on which even Jim Bennett couldn't change a tire ). It also covers my wife if she is travelling alone; I'm the tire-changing member of our family.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The RV coverage is an extra $19.05. I hope I never have to use it, but a small price to pay should I get stuck half way between Merritt and Hope.
That's the price of a case of Labatts Blue, and since I don't drink that stuff...
That's not bad (the coverage, not the beer), but seeing we don't have that coverage on vehicles, to buy it stand alone might be pricier.

I have always looked at roadside assistance kinda like extended warranties on products, a fair bit of money for something optional you might not use, but it sure could be handy on the instance you would need it.

I am a risk taker.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I know our insurance is much different here in alberta however I had to provide our insurance company with a copy of the bill of sale for our 19 as they wouldn't believe it was actually worth that much. I believe their listing for a 19 ft trailer was somewhere around 17,000. My response to her was thats not going to work! It took a few phone calls and emailing the bill of sale but we are now insured for the proper amount
My home and trailer insurance is through Meloche-Monnex and includes full replacement value of the trailer. They never even questioned the $35k value I quoted when setting up the policy and didn't ask for any proof of value. Just got our renewal last week, it looks to be about $240/yr for the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote