Traveling with Cats - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2015, 11:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
Traveling with Cats

I know many of you travel with cats. But my question is HOW?
We just turned in our build sheet for a 21'. Next summer we (my husband and me) are hoping to be full timers! But what about my cat? Do your cats like to travel? Do you let them out? Where do you put a litter box? Any advice will be appreciated!

Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:50 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
I know many of you travel with cats. But my question is HOW?
We just turned in our build sheet for a 21'. Next summer we (my husband and me) are hoping to be full timers! But what about my cat? Do your cats like to travel? Do you let them out? Where do you put a litter box? Any advice will be appreciated!
A friend keeps the litter box in the bath during the day when the cat is inside and under the dinette at night. All animals need to be leashed/controlled when camping as there are carnivores looking for lunch in many places.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 AM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I did a month long rental trip earlier this year and my cat went with me. Granted, it was in a motorhome, which would be a bit different from a trailer. I made frequent stops so she could get off the bed to use the cat box, eat some food and get some snuggles. She stayed on the bed once she realized it was not a good thing to move around while I was driving.

I always had her harness on which had her rabies tag and contact information on it. She's not the escaping type of cat (crippled in the back end so she doesn't move too quickly), but I still wanted that info on her, just in case. Stuff happens.

I took her outside a few times, but she was always on her leash, which was attached to her harness. I tested her out on it at home before I left.

If Lucy's still around when we get the trailer (she's 14+, so kind of doubtful with her other health problems), I plan to put the litter box at the foot of the bed. For traveling, she would travel in a pet carrier in the truck as she'd be safer that way. I'd be stopping every few hours for breaks for myself and for her, so I'd let her loose in the trailer. We both would need those food and pee breaks!

The other kitty we just acquired - not sure if I'd take him with me as I don't trust him to stay in the trailer when the door is opened. Will your cat want to escape from inside?

I also traveled with copies of her current medical exams and shots, in case I had to take her to a vet while on the road.

And a small shirt that we got for her when she had surgery on her belly area and wasn't supposed to go near the stitches. It also helped keep her warmer and the motorhome got a bit nippy at night as I like to sleep in a cooler environment. The shirt doesn't bother her at all.

I really enjoyed having her with me on that trip. She was a great traveler and didn't complain once.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Do you let them out?
I would never let a cat out free at a campsite - way too risky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
All animals need to be leashed/controlled when camping as there are carnivores looking for lunch in many places.
I agree... and there are other dangers, especially in unfamiliar places.

Some cats do well on leashes with harnesses, but some don't. A wire crate playpen/kennel is another alternative for outside time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Where do you put a litter box?
I arranged compartments for litter boxes in two RVs, in each case with a cat flap door from the interior and an access door for box cleaning from the exterior. I noticed in a build photo collection that an Escape owner had a cat flap installed to allow the litter box to be kept in the compartment under a dinette seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
A friend keeps the litter box in the bath during the day when the cat is inside and under the dinette at night.
We've done that in our Boler (roughly Escape 17 equivalent).
Old 11-19-2015, 02:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I always had her harness on which had her rabies tag and contact information on it. She's not the escaping type of cat (crippled in the back end so she doesn't move too quickly), but I still wanted that info on her, just in case. Stuff happens.

I took her outside a few times, but she was always on her leash, which was attached to her harness. I tested her out on it at home before I left.

For traveling, she would travel in a pet carrier in the truck as she'd be safer that way. I'd be stopping every few hours for breaks for myself and for her, so I'd let her loose in the trailer.
All seem like great ideas to me. When stuff does happen, that harness can make catching the escaping cat a lot easier; our cats wear harnesses when travelling.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Gotta say -- you cat owners are fearless! It's probably easier to leave a cat in the trailer than it would be a dog -- the cat has its bathroom. And a cat who doesn't ever go outside might not even try to escape. Our cats were always indoor/outdoor and would have driven us crazy if they were kept in the trailer. On this last trip one of our biggest expenses was paying the cat sitters who came by twice a day to feed and talk to the (now deceased) cat.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Not in my trailer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bobcat.jpg (78.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 11-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Not all cats are created equal. We've had several over the years and our current little darling is the first that we could travel with. We left the underbed cabinet doors off on our 19' and put the litter box, water bubler, food and her bed down there. Cleaning litter got to be a pain so I made a slide-in/out shelf that makes cleaning easier.

I'll post a picture if I can find it.

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Didn't take long. She's snug as a bug:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment-1.jpg (15.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (14.5 KB, 191 views)

Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cats, traveling with cats