Whether to get the inverter and transfer switch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Whether to get the inverter and transfer switch

Hey folks,

I need to get my build sheet to completion very soon and I can't decide whether or not to get the Inverter or the Inverter and transfer switch, or neither and add them later. I do understand that if I get the package with the transfer switch, all outlets will be available from the inverter, though stark limitations on what you can run. If no transfer switch, I get only one outlet available off the inverter. Is either of these options a "should have"? I will most likely use the trailer with and without hookups.

I'm counting on the water pump and interior camper lights being DC. Is that correct?

At present, I'm getting the single solar panel and the dual 6's.
Trailer is a 19'.

If there's already a good thread on the inverter vs no inverter subject, please let me know.

Thanks,

John
Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
John, ask yourself some basic questions, and that will help. Do you plan on needing AC power when boondocking? That's really the purpose of the inverter. If you can do without that and just use 12 volt appliances, or if you plan to camp mostly where there are hookups, the inverter isn't necessary. We do have a few things that use 120V AC power, and we do boondock on occasion, so the inverter is nice to have. But even with that, we could probably live without it. The transfer switch just means that all the AC outlets would be provided power by the inverter, and not just one.

There are advantages to going all 12 volt power when you boondock. Not the least of which is that there's no inversion needed. Inverters are less efficient than direct DC power, and A.C. devices running on an inverter can drain batteries in a hurry. Of course, solar does help mitigate that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ask Jennykatz- no way you can do it cheaper later hiring someone else. We use ours all the time for things you might not think of. Yeah, you can do it alternatively, however I like the term "once & done". Trust your instincts.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 PM   #4

Good input, so thanks. I guess I'll add it and the transfer switch. Even if I decide on a different inverter later on, I guess it would be easy to swap out, and all the wiring would already be done.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
Good input, so thanks. I guess I'll add it and the transfer switch. Even if I decide on a different inverter later on, I guess it would be easy to swap out, and all the wiring would already be done.
I doubt you'll want to get a different one later. 1500 watts is enough to power most any device that's appropriate for an RV, and the Samlex is a pure sine wave and good quality.

As for using the existing wiring if you want a different inverter later, that depends on the size. If I were going to go with a higher wattage model, I would also upgrade the wiring to it.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorsenva View Post
I'm counting on the water pump and interior camper lights being DC. Is that correct?
Yes. 12 V DC power runs
  • interior lights
  • exterior (porch and work) light(s)
  • water pump
  • fans in main roof vents
  • fan and controls of furnace
  • controls of refrigerator
  • cooling of refrigerator, in 12V DC mode
  • controls (only) of water heater
  • propane detector
  • {optional} power tongue jack

... which is almost everything built into the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I chose not to get one, but have since decided to add one. All the parts cost over 2/3s of the Escape cost, plus now I have a bunch more work to do.

Wishing I had of had Escape install it now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I believe that Escape is currently installing a GoPower GP-ISW1500 inverter that is switched off & on by a button on the solar controller. At least that is what I was on a 2017 21...
Old 05-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #9

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
inverters

Yes go with the Inverter from Escape and have Escape put in an extra plug by the microwave .Thats about the only plugs you will need one by the kitchen and one by the microwave That's what we did .You are not saving that much money doing it yourself .Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I believe that Escape is currently installing a GoPower GP-ISW1500 inverter that is switched off & on by a button on the solar controller. At least that is what I was on a 2017 21...
In our 2017 21' the all plug inverter is turned on and off by a button right on the solar controller.

I dont remember the brand, but i think Jon is correct (as usual)

we LOVE where the button is located, as it is so easy (with a cute little plug icon that appears on the LED display when all plug inverter is on) - as the button is away from kids naughty fingers!

We are glad we did the all plug + inverter.... being in the middle of nowhere and firing up the big blender to make healthy and refreshing all fruit and vegetable smoothies is awesome. Plus it makes running a laptop all day soooo easy.

It was a cost, but for us, who sometimes do work while traveling... it is great.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #11

I emailed the Escape team today to add the inverter and transfer switch. I appreciate the responses and to know why it's a good reason to get this option.

Thanks,

John
Old 06-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA being ordered, currently 2001 16' Scamp
The on-board inverter will not run AC, and will run Microwave, but not for long even with 2 6v batteries and solar. The advantage of heating leftovers is appealing, but I don't work on the road much & have a 450w small portable inverter that works when necessary for small appliances. I know that the inverter being installed by Escape is a good one, but I'm leaning toward keeping it off the build sheet. Can someone chime in as to confirm my understanding of the Microwave ? All opinions welcome as to add this or not
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgutteter View Post
The on-board inverter will not run AC, and will run Microwave, but not for long even with 2 6v batteries and solar. The advantage of heating leftovers is appealing, but I don't work on the road much & have a 450w small portable inverter that works when necessary for small appliances. I know that the inverter being installed by Escape is a good one, but I'm leaning toward keeping it off the build sheet. Can someone chime in as to confirm my understanding of the Microwave ? All opinions welcome as to add this or not
For short uses such as reheating left overs, quick cook items such as frozen burritos, or rewarming coffee or tea, etc, the microwave can be used without too much battery loss. It will use a couple of amp hours per minute. Depending on what else you use, and, of course, the solar conditions, making up 5 - 10 minutes of microwaving is usually not a problem.

I have a 600 watt (1000 watt input) microwave in my Escape 17B that draws 95 amps on high (or about 1 1/2 amp hours per minute), combined with 195 watts of solar & a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter. I've had no problems using the combination for under 10 minute runs during the summer when the sun is high overhead & I'm not running the furnace overnight. During the winter, I add a 160 watt portable panel that I can aim at the sun, and am still able to make a pot of coffee most mornings, sometimes toast, and occasional microwaving.

For those doing lots of dry camping & using large amounts of 12V power, I suggest adding a battery monitor system that tracks amp hours in & out of the batteries. This lets you adjust your usage to keep up with the charge status of the batteries.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I installed an inverter and transfer switch after we took delivery. It would have been a lot easier to have ordered it. The microwave, brewed coffee, a unique 110 only device (there are not many), and an older model CPAP machine seems to be mentioned most as uses for an inverter. If these are not in your life, it is nice, but certainly not necessary.

We have liked the microwave, lots of frozen vegetables or those new fresh mini potatoes, the packaged potatoes from Bob Evans, soup in a disposable bowl, not much reheating on our part. We use it to run a portable vacuum that does an excellent job of cleaning the tons of sand we accumulate.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
And hairdryer to use with inverter maybe for women or children or old folks, or wet dogs and cats!! when it rains dogs and cats!! especially in cold weather, to keep from getting colds and/or pneumonia (yes, I know what they say, couldn't care less).

Others cite their absolutely necessary coffee pots or whatever.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I wish we had opted for an inverter.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have dual 6V batteries, the 1500W inverter, and 355W of solar panels on my trailer. I bought a 700W microwave to use in the trailer. When boondocking I can use the microwave about once a day for 6-8 minutes; my battery monitor shows it lowering the battery level up to ten percent. If the batteries are over 90% when I start it works fine, if they are charged less than that when I start the inverter complains "beeeeeeeep" but finishes the job. I don't attempt to use the microwave if the batteries are at 80% or below.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I think that why many folks do not realize until later that they might like to take advantage of an inverter, lies in the fact they are not used to having good solar charge capacity. I know with myself that in the past I had just enough to keep enough juice in my battery to run the furnace and keep the lights on. This had me in the past not relying on anything 120V (and I know I can really get by without now). But now that I have more charge capacity, I recognize an excess of 12V potential, and can see some advantages of converting it to 120V for some usage.

My wife is really keen on it, for a bit of hair drying (telling her to stick her wet head in front of the furnace is not going over too well anymore), a wee electric mixer, and maybe a two slice toaster. I like the idea for using a Sonos WiFi speaker once I get my WiFi repeater set up and have a network. That way I can play any of the 6,000 (or so) songs on my phone on it, or play any of the few million songs on Spotify if I have conductivity.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #19

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Simply: the flexibility seemed worth it.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I think that why many folks do not realize until later that they might like to take advantage of an inverter, lies in the fact they are not used to having good solar charge capacity. I know with myself that in the past I had just enough to keep enough juice in my battery to run the furnace and keep the lights on. This had me in the past not relying on anything 120V (and I know I can really get by without now). But now that I have more charge capacity, I recognize an excess of 12V potential, and can see some advantages of converting it to 120V for some usage. .
Yo Jim- you bring up a great point that people frame their opinions on the lens they are currently using and want to confirm their own choices. I remember well the thread from a few years ago that greatly defended 12V only being necessary. Times they are a changin'

During out current three week tour up to Crescent City then over to Ashland then up and over to Coos Bay and down again we haven't heard one generator runningH Hopefully more people are realizing what solar and inverters can do.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote