2017 21' windows options, panicking - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
The ability to leave windows open in the rain would be a big plus for me, as would being able to open the rear window. And although our old curved doors look cool, the new flat door probably seals better and it would be easier to replace if necessary.
We are probably the only Classic 21' owners with an awning window at the kitchen instead of the big slider. We keep it open as well as bath window at night, not having to worry much about rain. That was the reason for getting it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #42

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
We are probably the only Classic 21' owners with an awning window at the kitchen instead of the big slider. We keep it open as well as bath window at night, not having to worry much about rain. That was the reason for getting it.
Our 19 Classic also has the awning style window at the kitchen. Works like a charm for ventilation, combined with the maxx fan. It is not a frameless one.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Having had both slider and awning style dual glazed windows, I very much prefer the newer awning style.

Both provide great ventilation. Even in really hot weather would we ever have all the windows fully open, finding instead that opening select windows a bit, and creating the ventilation with the Maxx Fan, would give us the best results.

The awning style windows are way easier to operate. The sliders are often a bit stiff, and some physical disabilities would make them quite tough to use.

They also seem to seal much better. I do understand in heavy winds both could leak a bit, but that is a rare situation for us.

The new awning windows look cool too, nice and sleek. Not a must have, but for anyone that likes bling.......

The new door has been mentioned too, and having used both styles, and putting preferences in look aside (I too liked the look of the old style), there is just no comparison in performance. Everything about how the new door works is much better. It swings easier, latches better, seals WAY better, and the screen door is much more robust. This is likely the single biggest improvement I see between the old and new models.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:43 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
plus the new door has the ability to become a storm door in the winter via plexiglass inserts. I have already purchased them and will be installing in the fall. I did this mod on my other non-Escape trailer.
Are you msking your own plexiglass inserts or has someone starting manufacturing those? We had them on our old trailer and plan to add to the new one. what was it you ordered? How do you hold yours on? we've seen Velcro, magnets and just in the track.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #45

With a good fitting, well sealing door, like the new Escape ones, a storm door is not necessary. Even on homes for the last 20 years the use of storm doors has declined rapidly with the advent of better seals.

Besides, how well do these insert panels seal in the door itself?

As well, the seal on the screen door in our trailers is not that great. It is designed to keep insects out while giving ventilation, and the edges do not seal.

There is no harm in doing it, but I believe you would only be kidding yourself if you thought it would improve thermal performance. Many more weaker components that are poorly insulated than the door, like vents, hatches, and appliances (fridge, furnace, etc).

Just one fella's opinion.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Having had both slider and awning style dual glazed windows, I very much prefer the newer awning style.

Both provide great ventilation. Even in really hot weather would we ever have all the windows fully open, finding instead that opening select windows a bit, and creating the ventilation with the Maxx Fan, would give us the best results.

The awning style windows are way easier to operate. The sliders are often a bit stiff, and some physical disabilities would make them quite tough to use.

They also seem to seal much better. I do understand in heavy winds both could leak a bit, but that is a rare situation for us.

The new awning windows look cool too, nice and sleek. Not a must have, but for anyone that likes bling.......

The new door has been mentioned too, and having used both styles, and putting preferences in look aside (I too liked the look of the old style), there is just no comparison in performance. Everything about how the new door works is much better. It swings easier, latches better, seals WAY better, and the screen door is much more robust. This is likely the single biggest improvement I see between the old and new models.
Like Jim, we have now owned both type window and doors and I am in total agreement with this.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
With a good fitting, well sealing door, like the new Escape ones, a storm door is not necessary. Even on homes for the last 20 years the use of storm doors has declined rapidly with the advent of better seals.

Besides, how well do these insert panels seal in the door itself?

As well, the seal on the screen door in our trailers is not that great. It is designed to keep insects out while giving ventilation, and the edges do not seal.

There is no harm in doing it, but I believe you would only be kidding yourself if you thought it would improve thermal performance. Many more weaker components that are poorly insulated than the door, like vents, hatches, and appliances (fridge, furnace, etc).

Just one fella's opinion.
We put the plexiglass over the screen so we can have the air condition on and the door open. It's not perfect, but helps keep ac in a little. It's just a little less confining with the door open and a little bit better keeping cool in. Loved it in Casira.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
We put the plexiglass over the screen so we can have the air condition on and the door open. It's not perfect, but helps keep ac in a little. It's just a little less confining with the door open and a little bit better keeping cool in. Loved it in Casira.
That makes some sense, Ginger. It would allow more light in. I was only thinking of it as a storm door, used in homes for weather sealing. After near 30 years of owning an RV, I used A/C for the first time in Osoyoos this year.

I did find I did not want to be in the trailer very long with the A/C running, as it seemed quite loud. We just put it on during the day to cool it down was all, especially with Jasper inside.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not creating a storm door for better insulation, I'm creating one so I can leave the door open in fall and winter and spring and not lose all my heat from inside. Sort of like making a picture window.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ginger,
I'm making my own, will post pictures once completed. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #51

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Can from the front!
It's easy to tell them apart.
Just look for the love handles on the older 1st gen's
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #52

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
We didn't get the shelf, but the headboard we added (to keep us off the window) might also be a mod y'all would be interested in.

It's not obvious in the pic, but there's no padding at the bottom of the headboard, so the mattress shoves up underneath the padded part. The board itself is about 1.5 inches off the wall (we didn't want to be pushing it against the wall when we lean on it) so the mattress is about 2 inches from the wall - which doesn't seem to be a problem on the foot end. YMMV, because ours is the curved wall/classic, but it's as if the mattress was sized to be away from the front wall to begin with.
That's really quite genius!!! Love the light! How is the headboard fixed? Is it plywood?
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:38 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Regarding the old and new styles: from any distance at all you can't tell them apart.
I can.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #54

Trailer: 21' 2018
It's great to hear that owners enjoy the awning style windows. I guess when I picture my wide open window days with massive air-flow, those days are also picture perfect Good to think about the iffy days and getting clean air-flow.

Resale value is a true issue for us. One of the reasons we feel comfortable buying an Escape in our early 30s. If something happens and we've got to move on from it, I don't have doubts about moving it on with only small loss of value.

Thanks for the input!
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post

Resale value is a true issue for us. One of the reasons we feel comfortable buying an Escape in our early 30s. If something happens and we've got to move on from it, I don't have doubts about moving it on with only small loss of value.

Thanks for the input!
I think resale value is an issue for a lot of the older, retired couples too. Plans and health issues can change overnight. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #56

Trailer: 19' - Picking up November 29, 2017
Because the 2nd generation awning style windows have such a heavy tint, do any owners of this style window think the inside of the tailer is dark because of it? Cave like maybe? I'm working on my build sheet right now. Are there any owners in Minnesota area with the new awning style window that we could take a look at? How far out do they open at the bottom? Thanks
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote