After Hatch Air Conditioner Install - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 10' Taylor Coach (sold)
After Hatch Air Conditioner Install

I know anything is possible, but are Escape 17B prewired to facilitate A/C
installation after factory build? And any idea what ETI might charge for this work
Thanks everyone.

Duer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duer View Post
I know anything is possible, but are Escape 17B prewired to facilitate A/C installation after factory build? And any idea what ETI might charge for this work
Thanks everyone.
Iím pretty sure all Escapes are A/C ready as a standard feature now. Should ask ETI to be sure. The 120V wiring installed up to the hatch is huge as that would be quite challenging to add later. Not sure how they handle the thermostat though. I think youíll miss out on the integration to the new digital unit that runs both the furnace and A/C unless you figure out a way to wire it all up yourself. With the older A/Cís it wasnít an issue because the controls were on the unit and the furnace has a separate thermostat.

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Iím pretty sure all Escapes are A/C ready as a standard feature now. Should ask ETI to be sure. The 120V wiring installed up to the hatch is huge as that would be quite challenging to add later. Not sure how they handle the thermostat though. I think youíll miss out on the integration to the new digital unit that runs both the furnace and A/C unless you figure out a way to wire it all up yourself. With the older A/Cís it wasnít an issue because the controls were on the unit and the furnace has a separate thermostat.
Thanks rubicon327,

I've heard or at least think I recall hearing that now ETI prewires their trailers for future A/C installs. But, to your point about the thermostat- that's an interesting challenge-a surface run wire could/might be disguised somewhere that's not an eyesore.
However, I was not aware of the new digital unit that runs both the furnace and A/C , but that's what this great forum is all about.
The groups experience and knowledge, I hope one day to be of some value to other owners as well. For now I'm just asking questions and trying not to be a 'Boat Anchor'

Cheers
Old 03-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
that's an interesting challenge-a surface run wire could/might be disguised somewhere that's not an eyesore.
It is possible to run a wire under the vinyl covered ceiling. Some of us have done a similar thing running wires from the fan forward to over the dinette area to install a light. Worse case; a small visible bump in the vinyl.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I can only think that this much yellow 120 volt wire and the loop of control wire beside it is for the AC. These two pictures came together and you can see the roof is covered. There must be a channel in the foam cut that they use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 942FB220-17B4-466C-9E06-17508FC68E99.jpeg (159.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpeg 172B941D-AC34-4E42-A8F4-7B98371496F1.jpeg (111.8 KB, 29 views)

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Our 19 does not have A/C. A while back I removed the screen from the manual vent where the A/C would go and saw both 120 vac and thermostat wiring ends under the vent trim.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Canít get any better than that...and very easy to check for.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Our 19 does not have A/C. A while back I removed the screen from the manual vent where the A/C would go and saw both 120 vac and thermostat wiring ends under the vent trim.
For clarification do you know if your 19 came with the a/c prep option?
I spoke with another escape owner that mentioned the above option includes roof reinforcing to carry the addition weight of the a/c unit as well as being pre-wired?
Sounds like a beefed up roof panel would be required to take load flex while underway??
Old 03-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
For clarification do you know if your 19 came with the a/c prep option?
I spoke with another escape owner that mentioned the above option includes roof reinforcing to carry the addition weight of the a/c unit as well as being pre-wired?
Sounds like a beefed up roof panel would be required to take load flex while underway??
Ours is a 2017 (gen 2). We did not order an A/C ready option (I don’t recall it even being an option on the build sheet). Like rubicon327 mentioned, my understanding is also that ETI has been building all their trailers A/C ready for a number of years which includes a roof capable of bearing the weight. If you’re looking at buying an older unit, I’d try to find out the trailer build number and then confirm build specs with ETI.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
This is great if ETI is also running thermostat wire. I wonder where the other end is left? I assume not pre-terminated on a digital thermostat because I thought units ordered without A/C still have the old mechanical type furnace thermostat?

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote