Coleman polar cub ac - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Coleman polar cub ac

Greetings,

Am in the planning stages of a 19 and I'm considering this unit. For those of you who have it what were your reasons for choosing it, are you happy with it and what was the cost? I've done some research and it seems like a good choice.

Thanks

Dave

dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It is one I am considering adding to mine when it is time to get A/C. One of the advantages of it, is that it can be run with a 2000W gen set with no problem.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 17B 2017
I think you can get one with a heat strip too. Then it can pull double duty.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I have the standard issue ac unit that Escape uses and with the soft start feature they now have I can easily run our ac with our honda 2000 watt inverter, I also have the heat strip which doesn't really work as well as I had hoped. the fan is very noisy and heat output is marginal. a electric space heater is much less noisy and has better heat output..
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
While in the past there was an advantage to using a smaller Polar Cub AC for operating on a 2K generator, the newer version that Escape is currently installing uses less current. I believe I have the correct part #, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - I'm not digging out the trailer to check!

One other difference may be the sound level - I have the new Dometic & it is louder than I'd like, even on low...

From the Manufacturer's websites:

Polar Cub 9200:
Locked rotor (starting amps) 58.4
Running amps cooling - 11.5
Running Heating amps - 13.75

Dometic Penguin 11000 Model 600312.321:
Locked Rotor (Starting amps) 53
Running amps cooling 9.5
Running Heating amps - 12.7
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

I never realized that they went to a new A/C unit. Good to know. I am also much smarter now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #7

My understanding is it the the same ac unit just updated with the smart start/ soft start feature that has ben used in marine applications to reduce the power surge on initial start up. Jim is your roof re-inforced for the ac unit? I would agree with Jon that the noise level from the dometic unit is a bit harsh but the reality is we don't often use it. When its too darn hot to sleep with out it I guess I will deal with the noise.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #8

Dave, I would need to get the support shroud added in order to mount A/C. It is not put on otherwise.

I have been camping where daytime highs got well above 30°C, and with the decent insulation values our trailer has, it has not heated up too bad inside, and we just run the fan a lot when it cools in the evening, including keeping it on a lower speed, with a window over our head cracked. We have been comfortable enough. I know when it comes time to retire, and we will hit the road for extended lengths of time, I will most likely be adding A/C then.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #9

Other than places like Radium a few summers ago and last summer we were in Montana when it was in the high 30's, we probably only use it a couple of times a year at the most, but it is nice when you need it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
When my Escape 19 arrived last summer, another Escape with the Dometic also was shipped. Mine was ordered with the Polar Cub and heat strip. I have had this unit in 2 other trailers and I'm quite please with it's performance. The problem with a too big a unit in a small trailer is temperature swings. It will run for 15 minutes and freeze you, shut off for 15 minutes, gets hot, runs again and freezes you, off and on. A digital thermostat will help but it is better to properly size the unit. Any HVAC person will tell you for "air conditioning" it is better to allow the unit operate long enough to remove humidity and to cool down the interior, off and on cold/heat cycles do not achieve such levels. A smaller, properly sized unit will operate longer to achieve the proper comfort level.
When both units were parked next to one another, you could not hear the Polar Cub in operation, the Dometic was louder and could be heard next door.