Cushion fabric? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16
Cushion fabric?

We are not over the moon with the standard fabric Escape offers and are looking for an alternative. Short 2 wk time frame for their customizing option.

ETI did provide a website for SailRite but most fabrics were either too formal looking or not really RV fun.

What sites have folks found useful for custom cushion fabrics?

Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are several build threads where pictures of the various upholstery is shown, start here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...yond-8031.html
Old 03-21-2018, 08:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We bought Kovi fabrics, but ordered from amazon for lesser cost per yard, shipping direct to Escape but shipping cost to Canada is high.
Doug King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2016 Spirit Bear
Hi Bat Dude
Go with the customizing option and then u have time to acquire it. Ask Upholstery shops/boat upholstery companies etc. They have lots of knowledge!
FYI many folks were not crazy about the vinyl on the underside however it is one of the places where condensation will appear. Much better to deal with if u can just wipe it down.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Fabric

Sunbrella is one of your best options. Buy from a local supplier (they are everywhere just google) and send the fabric to Escape, done it two times now with two trailers no problems. Canada Post charged me 15 or 20 bucks. Lots of selection available. And should be a shop with hundreds of samples near you. And I would go with the standard covering with vinyl on the back. Sunbrella cleans up really easily. It's a trailer. But you need to make sure fabric, floor and counters work with each other. Counters are the easiest. Just pick one Escape does the rest.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
ETI did provide a website for SailRite but most fabrics were either too formal looking or not really RV fun.
Strange, we thought Sailrite had a huge selection of Sunbrella fabric. There are plenty of patterns that work well in an RV. Ours is a bold stripe pattern but we also like the solid colors with subtle textures and small patterns. Best part about using Sailrite is they ship directly to Escape for a reasonable price.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/Out...tem_popularity
Old 03-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I purchased mine from fabric.com in December. You can get samples pretty quickly and they shipped directly to ETI. There was a customs charge of about $25.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
We also used Fabric.com. They ship to BC. Good prices and service.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
What type of fabric did you buy? Outdoor?
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
We used this:

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0379795/t...nille-chic-ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
What type of fabric did you buy? Outdoor?
Old 03-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We also found Sailrite to have a nice selection to choose from. You don't necessarily need to pick a Sunbrella fabric, but be sure whatever you choose will hold up. Sailrite, in their fabric descriptions, usually tells you the application the fabric can be used for (e.g., RV drapery, upholstery, etc.) and provides nice sized samples. Also, if you get the vinyl on the underside, remember that you can not 'turn' the cushions which means all the wear will be on one side. I would get the full cover and then buy some hypervent or other barrier and line the top of the wooden benches (might prevent snags as well).

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I like Lynn's comment about purchasing the standard upholstery fabric and having a local upholstery shop put on a new cover--especially since you only have 2 weeks to send fabric to Escape. I needed to see and feel the fabric, and IMHO I recommend you view fabric locally (along with your formica sample) before you order it from an online source. Your time is too limited to order samples. This (and the formica) was my most drawn out, and difficult decision. Sometimes I wish I chose differently. I went with bland, bland, bland but I brighten things up with colorful pillows, tea towels and weatherproof rug.

When we are camping or traveling around the country, I just love my little space of heaven. In the end, I'm pleased with how everything about our trailer turned out.

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16
Will take it as is

Thanks all for ideas,

After pouring over various fabric ideas & patterns we will take our new 19 as is and opt for a local upholstry firm to recover if we find just the right fabircs.

Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #14

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Dude View Post
Thanks all for ideas,

After pouring over various fabric ideas & patterns we will take our new 19 as is and opt for a local upholstry firm to recover if we find just the right fabircs.

Bat Dude
That's what we had planned. You did notice almost 9 months later we still have the stock fabric, It grew on us.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn L View Post
Hi Bat Dude

FYI many folks were not crazy about the vinyl on the underside however it is one of the places where condensation will appear. Much better to deal with if u can just wipe it down.
One heads up on the vinyl - condensation will happen both inside the cushion against the vinyl as well as on the outside of the cushion beneath the vinyl. The problem with the inside condensation is that it will not dry out easily because the vinyl material is impermeable, so the inside surface of the vinyl and the adjacent foam will eventually mildew. Trust me on that one, I have been there.

We will be ordering the full wrap. It allows the cushions to be turned to allow drying which will happen through the fabric, and it provides a level of insurance against visible staining or damage on one side of the cushion. For $100, it is a no brainer for us.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote