Lower Bunk Vent Fan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Lower Bunk Vent Fan

I like sleeping on the lower bunk bed but it gets stuffy and is very dark. I looked for a small window, vent or porthole I could install with no luck. Escape does not install any vent in that area. I tried a normal 12v fan that plugs into a power plug but is was awkward and noisy. I decided to make a vent fan assembly and it works quite well, it's just not very elegant...

I installed a 12 volt, 120mm, 3-speed, computer case fan such as that shown on the first picture to a dryer connect fitting and hose as shown on the second picture. I added a on-off power switch, spliced on a 12v power plug and added a 12v female power plug to the lower bunk area. I padded the edges of the mounting base with some flex hose I just happened to have but it is probably not necessary. I added some metal screen over the fan to keep fingers and hair out.

The 3rd picture shows the assembly before installation. The 4th picture shows it zip tied to the bottom of the upper bunk.

It works really well and pulls cabin air to the head area of the lower bunk. The fan is very quiet on the lowest setting and provides a nice white noise at higher settings. I put a glow stick into the open end of the white vent line and it glowed very nicely, making the lower bunk area a lot more pleasant; it was nice to sleep with cool air and a soft glow.

I put the glow stick in the freezer during the day and think it would last three nights. The power draw by the fan is very low, 0.2 amps or less. There is no significant reduction in room and it made no noticeable difference in getting in or out.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan.jpg   Dryer Connect.jpg   Bunk Vent 1.jpg   Bunk Vent 2.JPG  
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote