Oh No I Just Cut my Power Cord in Half - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Old 07-04-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Originally Posted by bvansnell View Post
In our four years of camping so far we have not needed an extension for our trailer's power cord, however we do carry a heavy duty extension cord which we use to supplement the 30 amp service to the trailer. Most serviced campsites seem to have both a 30 amp RV outlet and a 20 amp standard outlet. We plug the trailer into the 30 amp outlet, then run the extension cord from the 20 amp outlet to a power bar on a table outside our door where we do most of our cooking. Benefits of this are
  • Full power inside the trailer in cold weather for an electric heater
  • Adequate power outside to run a toaster oven, frying pan or electric kettle
  • Less smell and moisture inside the trailer
See, this kind of info is very valuable to a first timer. You folks are the best.

rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Yes , I do mean a extension cord for your shore power. In are area some of the private camp grounds seem to have there utility power post just a little more then twenty feet away. So you need to carry extension cord for that extra little reach you sometimes need.
Now I'm a little concerned. The Escape presumably has the usual 30-amp capacity power cord, and the extension cord shown is the common 15-amp capacity variety. If you plug into a 30-amp outlet with the extension (and an adapter on each end) you need to understand that your cord capacity is now only 15 amps, and yet there is no circuit breaker protecting you from pulling up to 30 amps through it. Just start the air conditioner (if you have one) and you have probably overloaded that extension cord.

Sometimes a 15-amp extension is used to plug into a 15-amp outlet - there's no issue doing that, and it is commonly done when the trailer is parked at home (rather than actually camping). The situation is similar if a campsite only provides a 15-amp outlet: you are limited in what electrical devices you can operate, but at least the campsite's circuit breaker should protect your extension cord from overloading.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote