Relocate the spare? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
Charlie, Check out your local boat shop for ideas. They usually have several options for carrying a spare tire on boat trailers. Just a thought. We're not getting the front tool box, so we could easily relocate the spare to the tongue and clear up the rear bumper for whatever. Also, my wife's bike has folding peddles that give about 4" more clearance on each side when folded. Doesn't sound like much, but it can make a big difference in some stowing situations. Also, our current EggCamper came from the factory with the spare located in an inside closet, as others had noted. A previous owner moved the spare to the rear bumper to allow more storage space in the closet, and we're keeping that arrangement.

War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #7
Has anyone installed the Arvika Rack that mounts above the propane tanks?
I saw this installed don a trailer this past July and it look very solid.

demo video:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/92ktLPqStvU

or something along this:
https://youtu.be/DiCK2ydiSHc

7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #23

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
Saw an Arvika Rack at the Green Eggs & Ham Rally last year. The owner really liked it. Only complaint was all the smashed bugs he had to clean off the bikes after road trips.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am considering mounting a receiver for the bike rack on the pin box of my 5.0. I think this would be a great, out of the way place to carry bikes, and leave the receiver on the rear of the trailer free for a storage box for other things. Of course this is all speculative, as I first want tot get possession of the trailer, build all the interior storage, and see what additional storage I need.

My biggest concern was the amount of bugs I would get on the bikes, and how I would either keep them clean, or get them clean. I would never wash a bike in a car wash, and only rinse with a hose. A bucket with warm soapy water and a brush work great on mud, but not so much on bugs. A friend on Labour Day, brought out this Reliable EnviroMate Pronto P7 steam cleaner that shot out a concentrated jet of steam for cleaning. There was not a huge amount of pressure, it was meant to just loosen grunge. Anyway, he played a lot, and used it to clean bugs off his plastic mirrors, and it worked great. Of course, one would need a source of 120V AC to use it, and it adds work to vacation time.

The other consideration would be using a bike cover, but I have to wonder what kind of stresses a cover would cause hitting the highway speed (plus wind speed at times) wind flow broadside like that. On the rear wind is much less of an issue. I know folks with rooftop bike carriers use a bra that just covers the exposed frontage. Maybe a roof mount for the bikes might be a better option.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...The other consideration would be using a bike cover, but I have to wonder what kind of stresses a cover would cause hitting the highway speed (plus wind speed at times) wind flow broadside like that. On the rear wind is much less of an issue. I know folks with rooftop bike carriers use a bra that just covers the exposed frontage. Maybe a roof mount for the bikes might be a better option.
Mine works reasonably well to keep most bugs off of my bikes. Don't even notice a difference in gas mileage when towing with three bikes (two bras) on the roof or towing with no bikes on the roof.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Mine works reasonably well to keep most bugs off of my bikes. Don't even notice a difference in gas mileage when towing with three bikes (two bras) on the roof or towing with no bikes on the roof.
I imagine towing you would not see a difference. My brother uses a roof rack on his Subaru lots, and says he does notice a wee bit of a decline in mileage, more the faster he goes.

BTW, I saw the photo fine on my phone, but can't see it here for some reason.

And, is there a particular reason you highlighted my text in pink? Just askin'.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Hope this question isn't too far off topic but wondering if any bike owners bring along a bike that's an electric-assist type. You know, with a lithium battery-powered mini-motor. Curious about brackets, convenience, etc.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
BTW, I saw the photo fine on my phone, but can't see it here for some reason.

And, is there a particular reason you highlighted my text in pink? Just askin'.
Maybe is due to Google pics link. Will upload directly onto this site.

I thought pink was a fine color to highlight the text that I was talking about. I could edit it to red if any others object to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike-Bra.jpg (245.7 KB, 28 views)

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Hope this question isn't too far off topic but wondering if any bike owners bring along a bike that's an electric-assist type. You know, with a lithium battery-powered mini-motor. Curious about brackets, convenience, etc.
With the motor and battery, my e-bike weighs about 20 lb more than without, which makes it difficult to lift onto the roof of my FJ. As a minimum, I take the battery off when travelling (which reduces the bike weight by about 10 lb). Still a bit awkward though to get it onto the roof by myself. If I was travelling much with my e-bike, I would probably start carrying it on the rear bumper of the Escape in a good quality rack.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Maybe is due to Google pics link. Will upload directly onto this site.

I thought pink was a fine color to highlight the text that I was talking about. I could edit it to red if any others object to it.
Photo shows now.

And, just as long as you weren't insinuating anything, I am good.
Actually, I was good either way. Heck, I have dressed as a woman quite a few times, but Halloween only.....really! LOL