Small Safe - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #41

Hey,

It appears there are different camps again. Same as when an RV security system was discussed. It also appears the thread has taken a little bit of a side road but not to worry. I thought of installing a small safe as a way to store some things I do not want to tote around in my pickup truck which has no trunk, locking glove box or under seat storage boxes nor does the console box lock (Yes there is a safe for a Tacoma console just not interested in it takes all the space). I thought it might end up going down the same road as the security system but oh well. If I was to be on the road a long time I have to carry certain things with me that do not do well in high heat or extreme cold so storage in a vehicle is not an option. I also wish not worry about having some extra cash around for those places that do not take debit cards. Before anyone says all places do, no they don’t case in point my primary care civilian physician does not and will not any time soon. Perhaps keep the book passport medical DVD / Thumb Stick there as I have the passport card too so I lose one I have the other. Maybe even store my tablet, Laptop, Ipod etc in it. All of which also do not do well in extreme heat or cold. If it is hidden well enough a casual break in and theft of anything vehicle or RV is all about speed pretty sure it would be an in and out with anything left in the open or drawers. And yes I have that information on very good authority do to my current occupation for the last 18 years. I gather no one has one currently and has not had one go across the border with them either. Oh well it is certainly entertaining reading some of the stuff written here. :}

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Left the Ford Explorer unlocked one night. Next morning I could tell I'd been burgled because CDs were spread all over the driver seat and foot wells.
But, nothing was missing. My music was not to their taste.
Not everyone likes ABBA I guess!
Go figure.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 AM   #43

Trailer: none
Concealment is usually the best option as anything locked, including safes, can be broken into and the cost/trouble to repair can exceed the value of the items inside ...

So, where is the best place to hide someting in our trailers? Under the mattress? Most thieves will not want to struggle with an RV mattress...

Seriously, in my 19, I have the smaller fridge with a cabinet underneath. I was looking for a small brush I had put in there. I could not find the darn thing until I got on hands & knees and looked. There is a small shelf at the top back of the cabinet. A small lockbox could be hidden on the shelf, perhaps secured in some way, perhaps with a small piece of wood used as a false wall to conceal the shelf and box? Just thinking ....
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not hidden anymore now, the www now knows about!! It is a nice place to keep things like griddles and other flat items, I had one in my 19' also.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #45

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not hidden anymore now, the www now knows about!! It is a nice place to keep things like griddles and other flat items, I had one in my 19' also.
Not too concerned ...
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
I will add my 2 cents here. In my truck I have a small lockbox. It uses a fingerprint reader and a keylock for back up to open. It comes with a steel cable that you can wrap around a seatpost that secures inside the box so it cannot be removed when the box is closed. It is big enough for a wallet, passport etc, and/or pistol if you are so inclined.

After I saw how easily the thieves in Mesa AZ cut a much bigger cable lock to steal my bicycle, I can report that this cable would stop a casual thief, but not one with bolt cutters or a really strong pair of wire cutters.

The fingerprint reader on this thing is pathetic. If you were storing a gun in this for safety and needed it in a hurry, I assure you it would be too late more than half the time by the time you got it out. The work around is to read your finger(s) into the memory numerous times so that HOPEFULLY whatever angle you slide your finger over the reader, it might open.

There are a number of different small gun safes on Amazon that might work for our trailers, I cannot tell you which ones work, but I am dubious of the ones that read fingerprints that you have to slide the finger over to actuate.

Your experience may vary.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
I will add my 2 cents here. In my truck I have a small lockbox. It uses a fingerprint reader and a keylock for back up to open. It comes with a steel cable that you can wrap around a seatpost that secures inside the box so it cannot be removed when the box is closed. It is big enough for a wallet, passport etc, and/or pistol if you are so inclined.

After I saw how easily the thieves in Mesa AZ cut a much bigger cable lock to steal my bicycle, I can report that this cable would stop a casual thief, but not one with bolt cutters or a really strong pair of wire cutters.

The fingerprint reader on this thing is pathetic. If you were storing a gun in this for safety and needed it in a hurry, I assure you it would be too late more than half the time by the time you got it out. The work around is to read your finger(s) into the memory numerous times so that HOPEFULLY whatever angle you slide your finger over the reader, it might open.

There are a number of different small gun safes on Amazon that might work for our trailers, I cannot tell you which ones work, but I am dubious of the ones that read fingerprints that you have to slide the finger over to actuate.

Your experience may vary.
Right on two counts. I would not trust a cable to keep a lock box/safe secure. It needs to be bolted down. Also, if quick access to contents is important to you, the pattern/button locks are way better than the electronic fingerprint readers.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
There's just no perfect answer -- Not having everything of value in one place is something I try to do as well as all the common sense things that have been mentioned. The first day of our first cross country trip I had my daypack either beside me or on my back and someone reached in and stole my wallet, meaning I didn't have my drivers' license for most of a three and a half month trip. When we returned, there was a package waiting for me -- my wallet with some of the money, all of the credit cards (which had been cancelled by us of course) and a letter -- a man returned it saying a young boy had taken it. I have always wondered if it was his son. Anyway, I'm a lot more cautious now.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
There's just no perfect answer -- Not having everything of value in one place is something I try to do as well as all the common sense things that have been mentioned. The first day of our first cross country trip I had my daypack either beside me or on my back and someone reached in and stole my wallet, meaning I didn't have my drivers' license for most of a three and a half month trip. When we returned, there was a package waiting for me -- my wallet with some of the money, all of the credit cards (which had been cancelled by us of course) and a letter -- a man returned it saying a young boy had taken it. I have always wondered if it was his son. Anyway, I'm a lot more cautious now.
You were very lucky to get it back.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I was lucky and it was only money and inconvenience. Far worse was the time our truck was unlocked in the driveway -- five feet from our house and five feet from the neighbor's house -- and the neighborhood firebug opened the door and set it on fire. The airstream with the propane tanks was only a few feet away from the truck. The truck was totaled of course but no one was harmed and the houses didn't burn down. We now lock our vehicles.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #51

Trailer: None yet
I use one of these in my Tundra truck. It won't hold large electronics, but it hold things I want secured when I leave them in the truck when I cannot or don't want to take them leaving the truck. It's concealed and has built a good reputation defeating car burglars. No one has tested mine yet (knock on wood). We lock our doors and secure vehicles in Nor Cal. Auto burglary is common and the consequences can be costly.

Toyota Tundra Floor Console: 2007 - 2013
Danilushka is offline   Reply With Quote