Storage box -- pros and cons - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #91

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
If you do decide to retrofit a box be sure to get welding instructions for the T1 steel used in the trailer frame. It is a tempered steel, so it has to be welded with the correct procedure. That is a high stress area of the frame and should not be compromised.
Russ

ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
A deck box is a plastic storage bin designed to sit on a stationary cement slab, or maybe gravel patio. It is not designed to sit on 2 angled 2" wide metal frame rails at 55-?? mph. At the very least you will need to fabricate and attach to the frame a solid base for it.
I can see attaching the deck box to the frame with u-bolts. Maybe mount the box on a weatherproof plywood platform and then bolt it to the frame. Here's another try at the image--Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 5F21 Deck Box with Seat: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #93

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
If you do decide to retrofit a box be sure to get welding instructions for the T1 steel used in the trailer frame. It is a tempered steel, so it has to be welded with the correct procedure. That is a high stress area of the frame and should not be compromised.
Russ
Thanks for that information. I would probably make a trip to Chilliwack for any major mods.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #94

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
I can see attaching the deck box to the frame with u-bolts. Maybe mount the box on a weatherproof plywood platform and then bolt it to the frame. Here's another try at the image--Amazon.com: Rubbermaid 5F21 Deck Box with Seat: Patio, Lawn & Garden
U-bolts are a good solution. No welding, no drilling on the tongue. The Rubbermaid stuff does require good support or it will sag over time when in the sun. I have a couple of their sheds on my property, and learned they need full level support.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #95

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Appearance aside, I don't think it is built for the stresses it would undergo while traveling. It says it's crack resistant ( sitting on a patio? ).
I'd also want to ensure that the hinges and locking hasps would stand up to travel.
Just think back to all the garden furniture you've had to toss out after a couple seasons.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #96

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
The guy next door to us had one in the driveway, barely lasted through one or two wind storms - blew apart.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #97

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
I wonder if ETI would put a front box on the trailer bringing trailers for delivery perhaps if one wanted to order one the shipping costs would be less coming that way.

Cypher
Old 02-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #98

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
For what it's worth, I grumble about the storage box (all the angles and curves and brackets and battery placement make it awkward to use) but if I ordered another trailer I'd add another box. It's awkward, but I think it's still worth the cost. YMMV, of course.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #99

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I understand that use on a vehicle and use on a deck are different, but with a suitable platform I don't see a big issue with the stresses. I've had a couple of moulded plastic storage boxes (from Canadian Tire, probably Suncast brand, one is dual-purpose bench/box) outside for several years, and neither is falling apart. Of course, that's in a place where it only hot and sunny for small part of the year, but cold is hard on plastic, too.

My experience with our trailer (a 17' moulded fiberglass model, the width of an Escape 19') is similar to Jim Bennett's: I have not found a need for any kind of external storage box, although I do carry some stuff in the van. Like Jim, we have not been on very long trips.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #100

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Does anyone know the size of the space between the front of the 19 and the propane tanks? I'd like to see if there's a box on the market that might fit and not look too ugly. Another storage box option would be fastening a store bought box to the bike rack using one of those platform thingies. Either way gets you extra storage without the $700 charge.

Harris

Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote