Wardrobe /drawer adaptation on 17B - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Rich, I was looking for something with a bit nicer quality so I went to a wood supply store with a larger and nicer selection. I ended up using 5/8 inch baltic birch plywood, which was more expensive than say "good one side", but not as expensive as say marine plywood. However, I do not regret the extra $ one iota as its a really nice finish. I also wanted someone that was reasonably stiff on the sides.

Ultimate Guide to Baltic Birch Plywood: Why Itís Better, When to Use It Ė Woodworkers Source Blog

I made the cuts using a dado blade on my radial arm saw with about a 1/4 in. kerf and the cuts are about 1/4 in. depth. I allowed for the depth of each drawer plus about 3/8 inch between cuts, although you could get away with slightly less. I experimented with the width a little bit and ended up assembling the two sides outside the wardrobe just to make sure it all worked before fixing it all inside the wardrobe. This was really worth while as I almost had a snafu.
Thank you!

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hey Zardoz , Please post photos of your version! I think this might just be what we will do with put 5.0ta! Bill

CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Hey Zardoz , Please post photos of your version! I think this might just be what we will do with put 5.0ta! Bill
Will do, but it may quite a while. We just bought a home in AZ and have to get ready to sell this one and get relocate. Sadly, doing mods on the trailer are a second-tier priority .
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17B January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Maybe with (Rich) Zardoz tied up, Bill you take take a go at an adaptation for your 5.0TA for others to copy?
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Nice job Chris, glad I could help.
After using my closet with 4 deep drawers, your 3 shallow 3 deep drawer set up is preferred. I can really pack a lot of clothing in my 7 inch deep drawers which makes for some digging, although you can slide it out and set on the bed to help.

After recent airline travel with only carry-on for a 3 week stay, I became a fan of rolling shirts, pants, etc. The shallow drawers are great for that.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Nice job Chris, glad I could help.
After using my closet with 4 deep drawers, your 3 shallow 3 deep drawer set up is preferred. I can really pack a lot of clothing in my 7 inch deep drawers which makes for some digging, although you can slide it out and set on the bed to help.

After recent airline travel with only carry-on for a 3 week stay, I became a fan of rolling shirts, pants, etc. The shallow drawers are great for that.
Craig, we know all about only taking a carry-on, we were in Europe this time late year for a month with carry-on only. We are looking forward to travelling with our new drawer set up, it will be so much better. We always carry too much and will cut back going forward, but the drawers will make it way easier.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A
craig, i've been researching shelves for my about to be ordered 17A wardrobe and came across those elfa--they look great. are they heavy?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
No, very light weight and strong. I was going to build the lightest wood drawer I could, until I stumbled across elfa baskets.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
craig, i've been researching shelves for my about to be ordered 17A wardrobe and came across those elfa--they look great. are they heavy?
Craig already summed up that these are very light. The one advantage that sliding drawers have over shelves is that its way easier to get to the stuff at the back.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A
fyi, there are frames for the elfa drawers that aren't much wider than the drawers themselves. I think the narrower drawers (14 inch frame)/10 crossbar will fit in the wardrobe of my 17A...just not sure if the 21 inch depth will fit. if not, the 17 inch will. I can fit 3 medium and 4 shallow, or 4 medium and 2 shallow.

I went to the container store and weighed the setup I want, and then weighed some stacking plastic drawers they have as well. The elfa weighs minimally more, and the stacking drawers have more wasted space between them. As soon as I an determine the intrusion of the conduit at the back corner of the wardrobe, I will get them.