Wardrobe /drawer adaptation on 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Wardrobe /drawer adaptation on 17B

With acknowledgements to Craig Marston (CraiginPetaluma) for the original idea from his Escape 21, which was shown in a thread initially started by Fred (Red Dog) Moron http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...cape-9425.html), I attach a couple of photos of my own adaption of the wardrobe on our 17B.

Initially we decided not to add any shelves to our build sheet as we felt that deep shelves were not that workable as you end up having difficulty getting at stuff buried right at the back of the wardrobe. We wanted sliding drawers of some sort and perusing the forum, as noted above, we really liked Craig's idea, which used "Elfa" wire mesh drawers purchased at the "The Container Store". However, we discovered that due to different sizing these shelves wouldn't go in our 17B. On our initial trip in February/March, we were able to visit one of "The Container Store" locations and were able to find similar drawers, but in a size that worked and Voila, they are now installed in out trailer.

If anyone is interested in the materials used, I am happy to share it. We will also be at the Osoyoos rally next month and would be happy to show anyone who wants to take a look.
Attached Images

Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
can you post a link to the ones you installed?
Old 04-25-2017, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
can you post a link to the ones you installed?
Here is a link to The Container Store:
https://www.containerstore.com/s/whi...unner%20drawer

I used 3 each of the Elfa Cabinet-Sized medium 1 and 2-Runner sizes in white. They are are 16 7/8in x 16 7/8in. The 1 runner size is 3 1/4in deep and the 2 runner size is 7 1/4 in deep. You could just about fit 4 of the 2 runner size and 1 of the 1 runner size. However seeing as the nearest container store to where we live is 150 miles and requires a border crossing, we chose a more conservative size as we didn't want amy possibility of having to go back if it didn't quite fit.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Looks good ... we were just talking about how to better use the wardrobe space in our 5.0 AT .... now I have ideas. Thank you. Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
This is a wonderful idea - simple, versatile, and easily customized. Thanks much for sharing.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
With acknowledgements to Craig Marston (CraiginPetaluma) for the original idea from his Escape 21, which was shown in a thread initially started by Fred (Red Dog) Moron http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...cape-9425.html), I attach a couple of photos of my own adaption of the wardrobe on our 17B.

Initially we decided not to add any shelves to our build sheet as we felt that deep shelves were not that workable as you end up having difficulty getting at stuff buried right at the back of the wardrobe. We wanted sliding drawers of some sort and perusing the forum, as noted above, we really liked Craig's idea, which used "Elfa" wire mesh drawers purchased at the "The Container Store". However, we discovered that due to different sizing these shelves wouldn't go in our 17B. On our initial trip in February/March, we were able to visit one of "The Container Store" locations and were able to find similar drawers, but in a size that worked and Voila, they are now installed in out trailer.

If anyone is interested in the materials used, I am happy to share it. We will also be at the Osoyoos rally next month and would be happy to show anyone who wants to take a look.
Hey, Chris,

Is that MDF you used for the side panels with simple cuts made with a table saw? Let me know, I'm going to copy your good work in my 5.0.

Rich
Old 04-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
where will you hang your ballroom gowns and tuxedos?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
We have kept our closet for just that purpose. Love it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Hey, Chris,

Is that MDF you used for the side panels with simple cuts made with a table saw? Let me know, I'm going to copy your good work in my 5.0.

Rich
Rich, I was looking for something with a bit nicer quality so I went to a wood supply store with a larger and nicer selection. I ended up using 5/8 inch baltic birch plywood, which was more expensive than say "good one side", but not as expensive as say marine plywood. However, I do not regret the extra $ one iota as its a really nice finish. I also wanted someone that was reasonably stiff on the sides.

Ultimate Guide to Baltic Birch Plywood: Why It’s Better, When to Use It – Woodworkers Source Blog

I made the cuts using a dado blade on my radial arm saw with about a 1/4 in. kerf and the cuts are about 1/4 in. depth. I allowed for the depth of each drawer plus about 3/8 inch between cuts, although you could get away with slightly less. I experimented with the width a little bit and ended up assembling the two sides outside the wardrobe just to make sure it all worked before fixing it all inside the wardrobe. This was really worth while as I almost had a snafu.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
We made the first trip in our trailer using the wardrobe and some cheap rubbermaid type drawers. The ball gown and tux and some other fancy shirts etc we bought with us stayed on the hangar unused and we concluded that we wouldn't bother with hanging space as it was a waste of valuable space. If there is any reason to take anything fancy (as there will be later this summer for a family wedding in the Kootenays), we will just take a garment bag and hang it in our vehicle.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
Rich, I was looking for something with a bit nicer quality so I went to a wood supply store with a larger and nicer selection. I ended up using 5/8 inch baltic birch plywood, which was more expensive than say "good one side", but not as expensive as say marine plywood. However, I do not regret the extra $ one iota as its a really nice finish. I also wanted someone that was reasonably stiff on the sides.

Ultimate Guide to Baltic Birch Plywood: Why It’s Better, When to Use It – Woodworkers Source Blog

I made the cuts using a dado blade on my radial arm saw with about a 1/4 in. kerf and the cuts are about 1/4 in. depth. I allowed for the depth of each drawer plus about 3/8 inch between cuts, although you could get away with slightly less. I experimented with the width a little bit and ended up assembling the two sides outside the wardrobe just to make sure it all worked before fixing it all inside the wardrobe. This was really worth while as I almost had a snafu.
Thank you!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hey Zardoz , Please post photos of your version! I think this might just be what we will do with put 5.0ta! Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Hey Zardoz , Please post photos of your version! I think this might just be what we will do with put 5.0ta! Bill
Will do, but it may quite a while. We just bought a home in AZ and have to get ready to sell this one and get relocate. Sadly, doing mods on the trailer are a second-tier priority .
Old 04-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Maybe with (Rich) Zardoz tied up, Bill you take take a go at an adaptation for your 5.0TA for others to copy?
Old 04-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Nice job Chris, glad I could help.
After using my closet with 4 deep drawers, your 3 shallow 3 deep drawer set up is preferred. I can really pack a lot of clothing in my 7 inch deep drawers which makes for some digging, although you can slide it out and set on the bed to help.

After recent airline travel with only carry-on for a 3 week stay, I became a fan of rolling shirts, pants, etc. The shallow drawers are great for that.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
Nice job Chris, glad I could help.
After using my closet with 4 deep drawers, your 3 shallow 3 deep drawer set up is preferred. I can really pack a lot of clothing in my 7 inch deep drawers which makes for some digging, although you can slide it out and set on the bed to help.

After recent airline travel with only carry-on for a 3 week stay, I became a fan of rolling shirts, pants, etc. The shallow drawers are great for that.
Craig, we know all about only taking a carry-on, we were in Europe this time late year for a month with carry-on only. We are looking forward to travelling with our new drawer set up, it will be so much better. We always carry too much and will cut back going forward, but the drawers will make it way easier.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
craig, i've been researching shelves for my about to be ordered 17A wardrobe and came across those elfa--they look great. are they heavy?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
No, very light weight and strong. I was going to build the lightest wood drawer I could, until I stumbled across elfa baskets.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
craig, i've been researching shelves for my about to be ordered 17A wardrobe and came across those elfa--they look great. are they heavy?
Craig already summed up that these are very light. The one advantage that sliding drawers have over shelves is that its way easier to get to the stuff at the back.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:28 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
fyi, there are frames for the elfa drawers that aren't much wider than the drawers themselves. I think the narrower drawers (14 inch frame)/10 crossbar will fit in the wardrobe of my 17A...just not sure if the 21 inch depth will fit. if not, the 17 inch will. I can fit 3 medium and 4 shallow, or 4 medium and 2 shallow.

I went to the container store and weighed the setup I want, and then weighed some stacking plastic drawers they have as well. The elfa weighs minimally more, and the stacking drawers have more wasted space between them. As soon as I an determine the intrusion of the conduit at the back corner of the wardrobe, I will get them.