Wifi antennas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Question Wifi antennas

I have not been able to find much on the forum about Wifi antenna cable routing. Do many of you have Wifi antenna's mounted on your trailer? Which ones and what did you do for cable routing? I am aware of the Wave Rogue and WifiRanger boosters. I know it is important that the booster be close to the antenna. Thanks.
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I could be wrong, I believe the WiFi Ranger exterior booster WiFi devices are both antennas & receiver/transmitters that convert the WiFi signal to Ethernet for the run to the internal WiFi Ranger router. Ethernet can be run over far longer distances that you would find in any of our trailers (100's of feet) using CAT 5 cable & RJ45 connectors.

If you are asking about a cell antenna running to a cell based hotspot, then the run length should be as short as possible, although cutting a built in antenna cable to shorten it can have unexpected results & is usually not recommended by the antenna manufacturers.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #3

Ron, where are people running the Ethernet cable into their Escapes? I know on Technomadia they suggest a conduit through the roof covered by a junction box. Then you can run any cables you want:-) not sure what I think about doing that.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I use a Crane WiFi antenna inside the trailer when the signal is weak and it has always boosted the WiFi signal enough for me to use. It is about $100. But I am not a "power" user. I use a notebook to research campgrounds and points of interest, and to occupy myself sometimes when the wife sleeps late. I would prefer to avoid the computer and the Internet when I am camping.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:05 PM   #5

Carl, thanks. The Crane WiFi antenna is one I have considered. I would probably be fine with that if I could just be camping. I expect to be working for a couple more years and hopefully on the road.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I use the Crane 14DBI antenna with the WF3 Versa WIFI USB adapter. I have used it indoor when it worked well enough, and I attach it to an outside PVC pipe to get it outside and higher when I need more boost. The bigger problem has been the quality of the WIFI signal in campgrounds. At one campground in CO, I ended up using Verizon 4G because it was much more reliable than the WIFI at that camp;ground, especially in the evenings.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Wifi in campgrounds is usually pretty slow; shared bandwidth and limited routers. Think most only have one so they can advertise the wifi on site, not that it actually works very well.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
All WiFi is shared bandwidth, except for your own personal hotspot. The problem isn't that its a shared connection - the WAP or Router switches automatically, unlike a hub. The problem is usually a weak signal and a slow internet connection to begin with. Many campgrounds set up a WiFi WAP or Router with as little as 1Mb or 2Mb of bandwidth to play with. Factor in that you'll probably be far from the source, and the connection will be quite poor.

Some campgrounds have gone to the trouble and expense of setting up a proper WiFi network, but those are few and far between.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #9

So I take it the point is you might as well just focus on a good cell connection to get decent data bandwidth? Investing in expensive WiFi solutions won't likely be worth it given any wifi around most campgrounds is too poor. Not that cell data is cheap��
Old 08-30-2015, 11:57 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by slloyd47 View Post
So I take it the point is you might as well just focus on a good cell connection to get decent data bandwidth? Investing in expensive WiFi solutions won't likely be worth it given any wifi around most campgrounds is too poor. Not that cell data is cheap��
Exactly. If possible we do McDs (ice cream cones) or Starbucks for WiFi

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slloyd47 View Post
I think if you are still working and relying on the net to earn a living, expecting campground WiFi to be sufficient is "iffy." As I stated, I'm not a power user and in 90% of the campgrounds advertising WiFi in which I have stayed, the WiFi has been adequate for my needs. Occassionally I have had to use the personal hotspot on my phone if net access were necessary.
One time in West Virginia (it's almost Heaven), had neither WiFi or cell service. I did have to go to a McDonald's. I can't speak about Starbuck's as I rarely have a need for kerosene nowadays and my breakfast drink of choice is coffee so I have to go somewhere that serves coffee!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:48 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've found a few times that when I couldn't lock in to the CG WIFI, going into the office and initializing the link there cleared the issue. I could then walk back to the trailer and all was well.

Tags
antenna, antenna cable, external antenna, wifi, wifi antenna