17B 12 volt - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
17B 12 volt

I need input please. Under the rear bed is the toggle switch for the 12 volt system. I thought this switch kills the 12 V system as a safety. The trailer is not plugged in to shore power. When I turn the switch off the cabin lights , water pump and kitchen fan still work. So I disconnect one wire from the switch and everything still works? The lights are getting 12 V from somewhere but where? Am I mistaken on what the switch is for?
Regards Al C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My 2009 17B has no switch under the rear bed. Could it be an owner mod?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #3

I am thinking that way Glenn.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
My 2007 17b had no switch, sounds like an owner mod. Follow the wires, or contact the previous owner.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #5

Trailer: August 2017 17b
The toggle switch was standard equipment on my 17B 2017. Yes is supposed to cut off the battery. ....As long as you are also not plugged into your tow vehicle, and not plugged into shoreline, don't know why anything is running. Something is odd.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #6

Well the battery under the seat was at 10.47 volts, call it dead. I put the charger on it in faint hope. The second 12 volt battery is on the bumper. It’s raining so once it stops and the ground drys up I will crawl under and track the second battery wiring entry point. I can’t see the wire from above in the control box cubby. We’re getting there one puzzle at a time. I think it’s time for ice cream.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Since yer serving ice-cream make mine a banana split
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #8

With a cherry on top
Old 09-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #9

I got back to the 17 B and got it figured. The added switch was to disconnect the battery under the bed. However the second battery on the rear bumper is connected direct to the control Center fuse panel. The second battery back powered the 12 volt system. All the switch did was to remove one 12 volt battery not two. That’s why everything worked with the switch off. I have a USB to wire in as well so I may leave this to another time and think about it.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
The toggle switch was standard equipment on my 17B 2017. Yes is supposed to cut off the battery. ....As long as you are also not plugged into your tow vehicle, and not plugged into shoreline, don't know why anything is running. Something is odd.
My new 21 had the same issue. Turn the batt switch off and 12v still works. Dustin sent me a new switch and it worked all of 5 min before same problem. Turned it on/off a few times and the lever just flopped about. Junk!

Dustin told me to get the switch I wanted and send him the bill. Now that works!
Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Sounds like someone added the battery on the bumper.
Our 17 has that switch and it does remove power, however, we have solar and that is installed just like your extra battery so even when the switch is off we have energized circuits when the sun is shining.
I added a USB plug as well, just under the front lip of the sink. Very handy but the blue light lights up the whole area and reflects off the fridge. We had to cover the LED and I will probably have to take the LED out altogether as even though the LED is covered a lot of blue light leaks out of the two square USB ports.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regards Al C View Post
I got back to the 17 B and got it figured. The added switch was to disconnect the battery under the bed. However the second battery on the rear bumper is connected direct to the control Center fuse panel. The second battery back powered the 12 volt system. All the switch did was to remove one 12 volt battery not two. That’s why everything worked with the switch off. I have a USB to wire in as well so I may leave this to another time and think about it.
Maybe this switch is the one you need. Allows selection of off, battery 1, battery 2, or both.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I have the on/off version on my trailer and it works perfect. One of the reviews on Amazon states that the posts break - I don't see how as this thing is robust. I guess anything can be broke if you really try.
Attached Thumbnails
4 way.jpg  
Old 09-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's the switch that I had in my 19 and will be installing this week in my new 21.

I wouldn't have two batteries unless they went through this type of switch.

When I turn mine to "off" I know that it means off and I won't get any surprises when working on the system.

Broke it? How big a hammer did they use? You're right, it's pretty robust.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #14

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
It's these "little things" that have me worried, as I'm not particularly handy with such issues and generally rely on things being right when a product is handed over to me. The toggle switch problem is just another one of those "little things" I've been learning about on this forum that I'm going to have to check out before leaving ETI in October, because Texas is a long way away. Planning to remain in the area for a couple of days and hoping that I can actually tell when things are working correctly - and when they're not. 😟

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
It's these "little things" that have me worried, as I'm not particularly handy with such issues and generally rely on things being right when a product is handed over to me. The toggle switch problem is just another one of those "little things" I've been learning about on this forum that I'm going to have to check out before leaving ETI in October, because Texas is a long way away. Planning to remain in the area for a couple of days and hoping that I can actually tell when things are working correctly - and when they're not. ��
No worries! When the battery monitor gets installed - the disconnect switch can be done at the same time if it is your desire.

Electrical stuff is easy to take care of.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regards Al C View Post
I got back to the 17 B and got it figured. The added switch was to disconnect the battery under the bed. However the second battery on the rear bumper is connected direct to the control Center fuse panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Sounds like someone added the battery on the bumper.
More likely, some previous owner added the battery under the bed, with a switch. As far as I know, Escape has always put the battery or batteries outside (at the rear, just ahead of the bumper) on the 17'... at least since I first saw one in 2006. Because it is outside, the battery can be readily disconnected for storage by removing a cable right at the battery terminal, so a switch isn't really required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #17

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
No worries! When the battery monitor gets installed - the disconnect switch can be done at the same time if it is your desire.

Electrical stuff is easy to take care of.
Good to know, Tom, and thanks for being in my corner!

PS: Amazon's handling the problem of the missing part.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
Our 17 has that switch and it does remove power, however, we have solar and that is installed just like your extra battery so even when the switch is off we have energized circuits when the sun is shining.
Usually the solar charge controller output is connected to the battery side of this storage/isolation switch, so that the solar system can keep the battery charged while in storage, and yet there are no unwanted loads draining the battery down. Either yours is connected on the load side of the switch, or the circuits which stay energized are not connected through the distribution panel.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote