6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas? - Page 18 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #171
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Boise, Idaho
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Posts: 64
do other models work better in ETI trailers?

Sorry. I don't know all the history here. Is the cooling problem limited to the bigger units in the bigger trailers/ 5th wheel or are all ETI trailers experiencing inadequate cooling?
If only the larger units, has anyone considered putting in a smaller unit in the bigger trailers? If so, did it work?

We have our on order, not built. I would rather have a smaller unit that actualy preserves food than a bigger one that doesn't actually work.

Thanks for all on this thread for your work and information.
__________________

Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #172
Senior Member
 
BCnomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O town, British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Posts: 1,327
MG, an extremely simplified version is :::::::::

the current options from Dometic are all "SN" rated, which many have found inadequate for cooling at either "hot" or "cold" ambient temperatures.

to my knowledge, ETI hasn't said "whats next". Hence the tinkering.
__________________

__________________
When you look for advice, make sure it's from someone towing your trailer, in your backyard, with the same expectations
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #173
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
Sorry. I don't know all the history here. Is the cooling problem limited to the bigger units in the bigger trailers/ 5th wheel or are all ETI trailers experiencing inadequate cooling?
If only the larger units, has anyone considered putting in a smaller unit in the bigger trailers? If so, did it work?

We have our on order, not built. I would rather have a smaller unit that actualy preserves food than a bigger one that doesn't actually work.

Thanks for all on this thread for your work and information.
This may help:

The owners of the 4.3 and 6.7 cf Dometic 8 series RM8551 and RM8555 have experienced poor cooling performance. The issue appears to be slightly worse with the 6.7, but that is mostly anecdotal.

The door of Escape trailers is 22" wide. Whatever fridge ETI uses must fit through the door, so it must be less than 22" wide. The only absorption fridge Dometic produces of adequate size, that will fit through the door, is the 8 series RM8551 and RM8555.

These fridges were intended mainly for the European market, although they are sold in North America as well.

Fridges sold in the EU must have a climate class rating. The ratings are SN, N, ST and T, for subnormal, normal, subtropical and tropical respectively. An SN rated fridge is rated to perform adequately with ambient temperatures in the subnormal range. A tropical rated fridge on the other hand, is rated to perform well with ambient temperatures in the tropical range.

While the EU climate rating is mainly intended for energy consumption standards, the practical effect is that a T-rated fridge can be expected to outperform the other ratings when the ambient air temperatures are hotter.

Dometic does NOT offer an 8 series fridge in North America with a climate class rating above Subnormal. Climate class ratings are not required in North America.

Reace has been working with Dometic for some time to come up with a solution that addresses the problems of current owners as well as future owners. In your case, if you order the larger fridge, you will have a new fridge model with a separate freezer door, the RMD8555. This fridge has been tested in hotter climates and performs better than the RM8555 single door in hotter climates. How much better is a matter that needs more data to answer. If you order the smaller fridge, you will have an RM8551 but the door will be retrofitted with a different door that helps the fridge cool better. Again, how much better is a matter that needs more data to answer.

Bottom line, your fridge will be "enhanced", either with a redesigned door for the smaller one, or an entirely different fridge for the larger one. We went with the 6.7cf specifically for that reason.

For current owners of the 8551 and 8555, there are different solutions, and as Bruce said, a lot of tinkering and experimentation. There is some movement lately where Dometic is asking the owners to pull the cooling unit so it can be rebuilt or replaced with a stronger one. Time will tell whether or not this solves the problem.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #174
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,729
Robert,
Excellent summary.

baglo
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:43 PM   #175
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This may help:

The owners of the 4.3 and 6.7 cf Dometic 8 series RM8551 and RM8555 have experienced poor cooling performance. The issue appears to be slightly worse with the 6.7, but that is mostly anecdotal.

The door of Escape trailers is 22" wide. Whatever fridge ETI uses must fit through the door, so it must be less than 22" wide. The only absorption fridge Dometic produces of adequate size, that will fit through the door, is the 8 series RM8551 and RM8555.

These fridges were intended mainly for the European market, although they are sold in North America as well.

Fridges sold in the EU must have a climate class rating. The ratings are SN, N, ST and T, for subnormal, normal, subtropical and tropical respectively. An SN rated fridge is rated to perform adequately with ambient temperatures in the subnormal range. A tropical rated fridge on the other hand, is rated to perform well with ambient temperatures in the tropical range.

While the EU climate rating is mainly intended for energy consumption standards, the practical effect is that a T-rated fridge can be expected to outperform the other ratings when the ambient air temperatures are hotter.

Dometic does NOT offer an 8 series fridge in North America with a climate class rating above Subnormal. Climate class ratings are not required in North America.

Reace has been working with Dometic for some time to come up with a solution that addresses the problems of current owners as well as future owners. In your case, if you order the larger fridge, you will have a new fridge model with a separate freezer door, the RMD8555. This fridge has been tested in hotter climates and performs better than the RM8555 single door in hotter climates. How much better is a matter that needs more data to answer. If you order the smaller fridge, you will have an RM8551 but the door will be retrofitted with a different door that helps the fridge cool better. Again, how much better is a matter that needs more data to answer.

Bottom line, your fridge will be "enhanced", either with a redesigned door for the smaller one, or an entirely different fridge for the larger one. We went with the 6.7cf specifically for that reason.

For current owners of the 8551 and 8555, there are different solutions, and as Bruce said, a lot of tinkering and experimentation. There is some movement lately where Dometic is asking the owners to pull the cooling unit so it can be rebuilt or replaced with a stronger one. Time will tell whether or not this solves the problem.
Ok where is my New Door ?
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #176
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N/A, Indiana
Trailer: Escape
Posts: 931
"There is some movement lately where Dometic is asking the owners to pull the cooling unit so it can be rebuilt or replaced with a stronger one. "
If it is Dometic the cooling unit should be R&R'd by an authorized Dometic service center. Klem stated a private company.
Dometic or an independent company ??
Only Klem knows for sure !!
__________________
"Never argue with an idiot. They only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." George Carlin
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #177
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,729
And, if a private company, what happens with Dometic warranty?
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #178
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ok where is my New Door ?
Don't know Pat. When I spoke to Reace while at ETI, he mentioned that if I went with the smaller fridge, it would be retrofitted with a different door. He didn't specifically address current owners, although obviously if it helps the RM8551, it will help for both existing as well as future owners -- same fridge.

Last I heard from Reace was that Dometic was "retooling" (or words to that effect) so the new doors could be produced. I have no knowledge as to the status of that. Quite honestly I stopped tracking it, since we went with the larger 2 door fridge.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #179
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
"There is some movement lately where Dometic is asking the owners to pull the cooling unit so it can be rebuilt or replaced with a stronger one. "
If it is Dometic the cooling unit should be R&R'd by an authorized Dometic service center. Klem stated a private company.
Dometic or an independent company ??
Only Klem knows for sure !!
Good point Jubal -- it may very well be a private company. I was under the assumption that Dometic was involved, since more than one owner has now pulled the cooling unit for "upgrade".
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #180
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, if a private company, what happens with Dometic warranty?
Personally I have given up on dometic. I have emails, phone calls, and searched their sites. They are trapped in their own world and it's not working for me. The Last Dometic rep told me their final answer was take it to a dealer and that it would not be repaired or replaced under warranty if it met S/N class standards....

The private company has a warranty And also want me to be a happy customer .... Can't say that about Dometic.

I do not want to duplicate efforts following a path others are taking until a solution is found. I stumbled on these folks and feel good because they can do things Dometic can't/won't due to the larger picture for their corporation.
__________________

Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.