A couple of ideas for the 2017 5.1 5th.... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'm amazed at the assortment of 5th wheel hitches, as well as the stated capacities, all far in excess of what is needed for Escapes, as well as the price ranges.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm amazed at the assortment of 5th wheel hitches, as well as the stated capacities, all far in excess of what is needed for Escapes, as well as the price ranges.
While it is annoying that all these hitches (and I agree there are lots) are much heavier than they need to be for an Escape, to be fair the Escape 5.0TA is probably the lightest fifth-wheel RV trailer in production in the world, and all the fifth-wheel RV trailer models under 10,000 pounds GVWR put together would be a tiny slice of the market. I'm not surprised that they generally start at 15,000 pounds capacity and go up.

Some of the price variance is just marketing, but looking at both pivot designs and latch systems shows quite a range in sophistication of design and likely production cost. If you really want to spend money, there are always the automatic sliding systems...

Fortunately, because any of these hitches will be operating far under rated capacity, they should all be reliable so you can just buy the lightest, or most convenient to use, or quietest in operation, or whatever is important to you... and not worry about strength or durability. That might lead to even more excess capacity - for instance, the pivot design of the Curt Q20 (20,000 pound capacity) is quite different from the smaller models, so you might choose that one even though it has four times the required capacity.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #13
Site Team

I miss the 2" ball on an adjustable stinger......
Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Andersen is trying to get you back to that with their Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection - it even adjusts in height with a simple pinned square tube - but they still can't get around the problems of mounting to the frame through the box, and the need to convert the pin setup to a simple ball-and-socket, without adding parts and weight.

One Scamp 19' owner made a custom hitch for his trailer (which has conventional coupler to go on a ball, but located like an Escape 5.0/5.0TA) which mounted a 2" receiver on a frame in the pickup box so he actually used a ball on a ball mount (or "stinger"). Still couldn't avoid all that structure, though...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
That's why i like bumper pulls. Less complexity, more tow vehicle options.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Might just have to buy a 21' Jim.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:51 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Jim, I have the b&w patriot, it's placement in the bed is determined by the mounting bracket holes in the truck frame for mounting the rails, so the installer has no choice where to put it, unless you do some sort of custom job.

How the hitch itself is adjusted is your choice, for safety sake, I went as high and as far back towards the tail gate ad possible. Best final adjustment (tailgate clearence and level ride) waited to get the trailer. I suppose if you want to you may be able to pay ETI to make those adjustments when you pickup, or you could wait till you got home.

Your chosen hitch, hitch mount, and truck may differ.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Fortunately, because any of these hitches will be operating far under rated capacity, they should all be reliable so you can just buy the lightest, or most convenient to use, or quietest in operation, or whatever is important to you... and not worry about strength or durability.
Brian is right. Just pick one that you like, though I would recommend one with jaws that close around the kingpin rather than a sliding bar, and enjoy the stability and towing the 5th wheel will provide you which in the OPINION of many is superior to that of the stinger and 2-inch ball so sorely missed. Since I switched, I do not miss the shin banger or the ball or the safety chains, not to mention the occassional sway from out of control/speeding 18 wheelers screaming by me on the highways.
Get it installed and head for Chilliwack. During your orientation, ETI will adjust the hitch and/or the pin box up or down to provide for "level" towing.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Brian is right. Just pick one that you like, though I would recommend one with jaws that close around the kingpin rather than a sliding bar, and enjoy the stability and towing the 5th wheel will provide you which in the OPINION of many is superior to that of the stinger and 2-inch ball so sorely missed. Since I switched, I do not miss the shin banger or the ball or the safety chains, not to mention the occassional sway from out of control/speeding 18 wheelers screaming by me on the highways.
Get it installed and head for Chilliwack. During your orientation, ETI will adjust the hitch and/or the pin box up or down to provide for "level" towing.
Carl, just wanted to mention we have never had any sway with either our 17 or the 21 we currently own. It could be due to the weight distribution hitches, or maybe the excellent design of the Escape trailers, or maybe the owner's expert loading method. Or it could be due to dumb luck. I am sure there are some advantages to 5th wheel hitches -- you probably never get grease on your pants from the hitch ball. But not sure sway elimination is one of them.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #20
Site Team

I notice some 5th wheel set ups are "sliders" for front to rear movement, is this something that is necessary for use or only used with different trailers? Perhaps some parking spots maybe easier to enter with the hitch moved back for tighter turns and towing with the hitch forward over the axle? Does anyone use a slider model?