AC/DC Refrigerators - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,611
AC/DC Refrigerators

Started a new thread on this topic rather than continue to hijack the baffle discussion. I found a company in Vancouver that makes marine/rv ac/dc fridges, and they have surprisingly low amperage draw:

Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:13 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,611
Another interesting discussion about replacing absorption fridge with ac/dc. The two limiting factors seem to be power (although the compressor fridges use far less power than the absorption ones do) and the COST. The compressor fridges are pricey.

northern-lite.org € View topic - Nova kool refrigerators
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
S

I found a company in Vancouver that makes marine/rv ac/dc fridges, and they have surprisingly low amperage draw:

[]
I had one of their units in a previous boat I built. I used the "F" plate and built a very well insulated fridge/freezer compartment. It worked really well but since I also had a generator monitoring electrical demand wasn't all that important. Now, having had a holding plate system and seeing how well it works I'd go with a holding plate and one of their compressors. The nice thing is that they come pre-charged with quick connectors so they lend themselves to DIY use.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:02 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I had one of their units in a previous boat I built. I used the "F" plate and built a very well insulated fridge/freezer compartment. It worked really well but since I also had a generator monitoring electrical demand wasn't all that important. Now, having had a holding plate system and seeing how well it works I'd go with a holding plate and one of their compressors. The nice thing is that they come pre-charged with quick connectors so they lend themselves to DIY use.

Ron
Interesting. I did see on their website the DIY kits for converting a simple Icebox. I assume that would be way cheaper than the full fridge.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:02 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 875
I read through the Nova Cool literature and although the electrical power required for their units is lower than the evaporative units, the highly efficient home type refrigerators are much lower still. I did some research this evening on inverters and learned the the low end of the commercial units have stand-by modes where they draw almost no power when not under load. If that info is considered with the data I saw on the really efficient Whirlpool units, you can install and run a home unit in your RV + the current draw for the inverter for around 10 amps per day. That is less than my Dometic uses per hour on DC and is pretty amazing. A comparable Nova Cool unit would use 5+ amps per hour. Just do the math. It would take my 2 solar panels slightly more than 1 hour to recharge that current draw.
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Cypherian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dover, Delaware
Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Posts: 582
Did you perchance find a price on one? Just a quick look seems no one wants to post a price.
Cypher
__________________
Veritas Lux Mea
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Member
 
wayne_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Surrey, British Columbia
Trailer: Hoping to adopt
Posts: 58
The Nova Kool literature also shows a very low draw at 24 volts. is there a way to provide dual 12 volt batteries in the trailer supplying both 24 volts to the fridge and 12 volts for the other circuits? My very rudimentary understanding of electrical circuits would mean that the batteries would need to be in series to supply the necessary voltage to the fridge and parallel for the other circuits. Can this be done? Are there switches or relays of some sort that could accomplish this? Would that change how the batteries are recharged or capacity/ voltage/ wattage of any solar panels? If wired in series can the electrical circuits be configured so that 12 volt circuits are supplied by only one of the batteries?
wayne_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Did you perchance find a price on one? Just a quick look seems no one wants to post a price.
Cypher
They appear to be sold via distributors, mainly boat and marine supply dealers. Some solar panel suppliers also sell them. I even found some for sale on eBay. Here is the distributor list on their website.

Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck

I also found their 4.3 cf model for about $911 USD (ouch) on a google search.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Interesting. I did see on their website the DIY kits for converting a simple Icebox. I assume that would be way cheaper than the full fridge.
The other aspect of a DIY installation is that you can design your own compartment. In my case, I used 4" of 1" slabs of foam with foil between the layers. Space wasn't the concern that it would be with a trailer installation. If I was going to make my own system I would convert the space under the dinette seat into a top loading fridge/freezer.

I did also previously have an Engel 12v/220v (Europe) fridge. On 12v it was an energy hog and I hated feeling all the cold "fall out" every time the door was opened. With the holding plate system it didn't get used much, except when in port.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The other aspect of a DIY installation is that you can design your own compartment. In my case, I used 4" of 1" slabs of foam with foil between the layers. Space wasn't the concern that it would be with a trailer installation. If I was going to make my own system I would convert the space under the dinette seat into a top loading fridge/freezer.

I did also previously have an Engel 12v/220v (Europe) fridge. On 12v it was an energy hog and I hated feeling all the cold "fall out" every time the door was opened. With the holding plate system it didn't get used much, except when in port.

Ron
Even more interesting! Top loading would make a lot of sense. Cold air sinks, warm air rises. Theoretically you could open and close a top loader way more often without any significant drop in temperature. But where to put it? Maybe your dinette idea, but we'd miss the dining space.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.