AGM Batteries - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Off topic ( sort of ), just bought four CR2032 button batteries at Mountain Equipment Coop. Cost for four was $2, plus 24 cents tax. Made in China.
A pack of four brand name CR2032 batteries at London Drugs is $14.99. Plus $1.80 tax.
Glen also found at IKEA 1.99 for a pack of 8 . I couldn't believe it at first but have been using . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #52

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I realize that AGM batteries are lead-acid.
Yes, but lots of novices don't. They get confused by people saying "lead-acid" as if it were different from AGM or gel, when they mean "flooded".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
...Handyman Bob says:

"Now, I will tell you why I am not a fan of the new technology batteries like gel cell & AGM: Your charge system has to be set at a lower voltage for them, so more of the power your solar panels could produce is not available for use.
As soon as someone lumps AGM and gel together, I think you should question their conclusions. Also, neither of these technologies is "new", having been around for a few decades.

Handy Bob also concludes that AGM batteries have less capacity for the same volume, but in most brands (such as Trojan) they don't. If volume (not weight) is a limitation, this is an issue with Optima's AGM batteries, because their cylindrical cells don't pack well into rectangular spaces.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Just a quick note about AGM batteries, troll around the early Mazda Miata forums (and like other folks have mentioned-off road forums) they had AGM's located in the trunk (away from engine heat) and many owners report 6-9 year battery life. So double or triple lifespan claims against traditional batts are not too far off base.

I had a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata that I sold when I picked up our Truck and trailer. I replaced the factory Panasonic AGM battery in the Miata in 2014. Ten years of solid performance - and that was in South Texas heat. I think it would have lasted even longer if I had driven the car more frequently. It only had 45k miles on it when I sold it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miata.jpg (189.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I had a 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata that I sold when I picked up our Truck and trailer. I replaced the factory Panasonic AGM battery in the Miata in 2014. Ten years of solid performance - and that was in South Texas heat. I think it would have lasted even longer if I had driven the car more frequently. It only had 45k miles on it when I sold it.
Midlife crisis over?

They are great little cars. The most fun for the buck.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Midlife crisis over?

They are great little cars. The most fun for the buck.

Yeah, bought it new in 2004 Jim, and it was alot of fun to drive.

Just couldn't justify having it around anymore taking up valuable garage space, since I didn't find the time to drive it much. Good memories though - like taking the hairpin turns on Texas Hwy 16 going into Kerrville at about 80 mph while my poor wife was holding on for dear life.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 AM   #56

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Well, after lots more looking about and reading, I am convinced I am going to go with AGM batteries, if nothing else, but for the long term value. I am going to check with Escape to see if this is something they would upgrade, and if so what battery it would be. If not, I am pretty sure I will go with the Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V, which are a good size, and have decent capacity.

I think I will just stick with the standard termials, an M* threaded insert, but am curious as to others thoughts on the merits of the optional L-blade or Marine Terminals. I don't really see a big advantage.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Quote:
Yeah, bought it new in 2004 Jim, and it was alot of fun to drive.

Just couldn't justify having it around anymore taking up valuable garage space, since I didn't find the time to drive it much. Good memories though - like taking the hairpin turns on Texas Hwy 16 going into Kerrville at about 80 mph while my poor wife was holding on for dear life.

Have done the same road in my Mini. . Lots of roads around Kerrville are fun to drive.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Interesting, my wife has a 2008 retractable hardtop with 17,000 miles on it. It was her summer car for 5 years. The original Panasonic battery lasted 4 years and now the second one is showing signs of needing replacement despite keeping it charged over the winter etc. So you're probably right, minimum use for batteries doesn't do them any favors.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05-04-2016 8-28-09 AM_0001_resize.JPG (310.0 KB, 5 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #59

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, after lots more looking about and reading, I am convinced I am going to go with AGM batteries, if nothing else, but for the long term value. I am going to check with Escape to see if this is something they would upgrade, and if so what battery it would be. If not, I am pretty sure I will go with the Lifeline GPL-4CT 6V, which are a good size, and have decent capacity.
I was reading this thread thinking what I would do with the batteries on the Escape 19. I couldn't find exact info on the Escape website for the dual 6 v battery option, perhaps I missed it. If you talk to Escape about the dual 6 volt batteries, please ask them to post the battery MFG, PN, Weight, and dimensions for the dual 6 volt battery option on a Escape 19 (assume they are the same for your trailer choice). I suggest this assuming the dual 6 volt option is not an AGM battery and therefore wondering if Escape will offer a dual 6 volt Lifeline (or Other) AGM upgrade and if so how much, MFG, PN, etc? Will need to know the specs of the current battery in the dual 6 volt option so I know what fits in the storage box in case Escape does not offer an AGM upgrade and I have to provide them.
also if anyone has any pictures of the dual 6 volt option on an Escape 19 please post them or a link.
Thank you
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #60

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
I was reading this thread thinking what I would do with the batteries on the Escape 19. I couldn't find exact info on the Escape website for the dual 6 v battery option, perhaps I missed it. If you talk to Escape about the dual 6 volt batteries, please ask them to post the battery MFG, PN, Weight, and dimensions for the dual 6 volt battery option on a Escape 19 (assume they are the same for your trailer choice). I suggest this assuming the dual 6 volt option is not an AGM battery and therefore wondering if Escape will offer a dual 6 volt Lifeline (or Other) AGM upgrade and if so how much, MFG, PN, etc?
It appears to be listed only as "Dual 6V Batteries (232 amp hrs )", even for the 19' (which is less out-of-date than other models on the website). In various discussions it has been described as the Interstate GC2-XHD or GC2-XHD-UTL. Interstate U2200 were used previously. The stock battery is a single 12-volt Interstate Group 27 sized RV model (SRM-27), and the other option is a single 12-volt Interstate Group 29 sized RV model (SRM-29).
Correct, none of the battery choices from Escape are AGM; all are conventional flooded deep-cycle lead-acid.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote