AGM Batteries - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #71

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The battery box locks are aftermarket after I lost a battery to theft on an earlier trailer. The welded iron on units with storage box I can't address since don't have that option, but I assume they did something to support batteries with that option.

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Thank you..just curious were your metal straps with lock add-ons or factory standard?
So I assume the angle iron welded across the tongue frame and beneath the batteries is somehow also part of the storage box battery mount method.
The storage box has a glassed in plywood base. The battery(s) set on it. I ordered the box and a group 29 battery.

Slid the battery over and added another group 29 in a plastic box like the installed one.

Personally I like a pair of 12s.

Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #73

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
With 2 12 volts and a multi-position switch, do both batteries have to be the same age?
Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Klem, didn't know you went the pair of 12's route also. Do you you have them on a multi-position battery switch?

Ron
Simply in parallel with a 60A fuse between them so when my wrench slips ....

I've been doing a pair of 12s for a long time. Sometimes 1 is in the TV and 1 in the trailer. Drive away and you are charging that one. Plug an 'extension cord' (2 wires + & - only) between the TV and trailer when you are camped. Idle the TV for a few minutes before driving off and give all the batteries a kick in their butts.

The twin 12s with my 200w of solar are working great. And if one of the batteries get 'bad habits' I might kick the TV battery to the trailer and replace the TV battery.

When you are driving it's 3 12s in parallel so it's not perfect .. but has worked great for me. If you test 10 batteries you will find 10 different 'reservoirs' they are never the same.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Interesting, my wife has a 2008 retractable hardtop with 17,000 miles on it. It was her summer car for 5 years. The original Panasonic battery lasted 4 years and now the second one is showing signs of needing replacement despite keeping it charged over the winter etc. So you're probably right, minimum use for batteries doesn't do them any favors.

Ron

Are you sure that's the same AGM battery Ron? I recall some scuttlebutt on one of the Miata forums that Mazda changed the battery after 2005, and their replacement didn't have the lifespan of the older ones. Folks were wanting Mazda to go back to the original Panasonic. Could be wrong. I do know that there was no direct replacement for my original battery when I replaced it in 2014.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
With 2 12 volts and a multi-position switch, do both batteries have to be the same age?
No, that's a nice side benefit. Each is normally used and charged independently. The only time I put the battery selector switch to "all" is for the few minutes the microwave is being used.

In a worst case scenario, which I've already experienced, with a 3 month old battery suddenly developing an internal short, you have another fully charged battery ready to go at the flick of a switch.

Everyone seems to love two 6's but for me two independent 12's are the way to go.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Are you sure that's the same AGM battery Ron? I recall some scuttlebutt on one of the Miata forums that Mazda changed the battery after 2005, and their replacement didn't have the lifespan of the older ones. Folks were wanting Mazda to go back to the original Panasonic. Could be wrong. I do know that there was no direct replacement for my original battery when I replaced it in 2014.
My bad. I missed the "AGM" part. It's a Panasonic but flooded, not AGM. Too bad, sounds like folks on the Miata forums had a valid point.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #78

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A bit of an update. Escape must install a battery box if the batteries are inside the trailer, as they must presume that the user might put in flooded batteries. Once one takes possession, they could do what they want.

Jim,
Even if you installed AGM's Lifelines site says you must put in a vented area. If overcharging occurs either from your converter, you r solar controller, or even your vehicles alternator on a long drive it could gas off hydrogen.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 PM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Jim,
Even if you installed AGM's Lifelines site says you must put in a vented area. If overcharging occurs either from your converter, you r solar controller, or even your vehicles alternator on a long drive it could gas off hydrogen.
I have done a ton of researching now, and though most battery manufacturers recommend that AGMs be vented, many users don't, and I have yet to hear of of one that was overcharged.

It all may be moot though, as it does not like Reace could not install a battery box. It looks like I might be putting them in the location where they go in the standard dinette layout, and then make the front bench as narrow as possible without them there, yet still house the electrical stuff. Maybe I will just go with a standard dinette too, as the small foot space in the U-shaped layout just doesn't cut it for me.

Back to the drawing board!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #80

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
AGM Batteries

On the subject of venting AGM batteries: They don't off gas like flooded cell batteries, but that is not to say they can't off gas at all. Many AGM batteries actually have a small vent (very small hole) and come with thin rubber tubing that you route to a small hole that vents to the exterior. On my Miata for example, with the battery mounted in the trunk, the battery had two small holes on top, with two small rubber tubes connected, which merged into a small plastic junction. Then a single small tube went from the junction down the side of the trunk to a small hole that exited the wheelwell. The idea was to route any gas to outside instead of the trunk.