Another Refrigerator Solution - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The markings on the replacement are: Marshall Excelsior
Marshall is probably the biggest name in propane fittings and regulators for RVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I used a Camco 59005 Propane Double-Stage Auto-Changeover Regulator as the replacement part. There was no research on my part in selecting this item. It seems quite popular based on the number of reviews.
I think Camco is popular simply because it's available. While I'm sure there are differences in both design details and quality, I have no idea which brand (if any) is better than the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Based on what I know now I would continue to install different brands and models because they all seem to have a certain quantity that are flaky.
I agree. The hardware is probably all comparable, none of it is great, and enough use handling propane with water and oil in it - especially in low temperatures - will eventually make any of these RV regulators stop working. Sometimes they can be thawed out (if frozen), drained (of accumulated oil), left to dry (of water), and will work well again... but maybe not. I consider regulators to be essentially consumable, unfortunately.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
DonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Corinth, Mississippi
Trailer: 2014 19' Escape
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I picked up a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H regulator and swapped out the stock one yesterday. The stock one measured just under 11" WC with my Dwyer Manometer. The new one measured 13" WC. Remains to be seen if that results in better fridge performance, but the pressure is definitely higher. It definitely solved my 'low flame' issues with the Spitfire Grill running off the QC.
Any concerns with using the higher pressure regulator as both the RM8551 refrigerator and furnace specify an 11" WC?
__________________

__________________
Don & Cheryl
http://www.corinthrose.com/Galleries/Escape-Travels
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
Any concerns with using the higher pressure regulator as both the RM8551 refrigerator and furnace specify an 11" WC?
Hi: DonF... Probably the reason behind the 11" WC spec is the number of RV fridge fires. All mfg's of RV fridges have had their fare share of them lately. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I picked up a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H regulator and swapped out the stock one yesterday. The stock one measured just under 11" WC with my Dwyer Manometer. The new one measured 13" WC. Remains to be seen if that results in better fridge performance, but the pressure is definitely higher. It definitely solved my 'low flame' issues with the Spitfire Grill running off the QC.
I ordered this same one from Amazon to carry as a spare. I'd be interested to know how it performs. If it's really better, I'll replace it now and carry the original as the spare. Thanks.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,845
Does anyone understand the difference between the 253H and the 253?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas regulator.jpg (44.3 KB, 9 views)
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Does anyone understand the difference between the 253H and the 253?

The H just means higher BTU capacity. It's overkill in my application. The higher capacity regulator could provide low pressure fuel on the primary tank to a device (or devices)that consume up to 350,000 BTU per hour. Every propane device in the trailer running full blast along with the propane quick connect would not come close to that.

The output pressure is the same regardless - 11 wc. Mine measured almost 13 when installed before adjusting. The stock one was under 11.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The H just means higher BTU capacity. It's overkill in my application. The higher capacity regulator could provide low pressure fuel on the primary tank to a device (or devices)that consume up to 350,000 BTU per hour. Every propane device in the trailer running full blast along with the propane quick connect would not come close to that.

The output pressure is the same regardless - 11 wc. Mine measured almost 13 when installed before adjusting. The stock one was under 11.
Question if you get the merge-253h do you have to adjust down to 11 or ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,610
It should be set at 11 wc by the factory. Mine was a little high. Would not have known that without a manometer. But, would also not have known that the stock one was a little low.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It should be set at 11 wc by the factory. Mine was a little high. Would not have known that without a manometer. But, would also not have known that the stock one was a little low.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robert on the high capacity one ,what is on the side some sort of fitting , that is not on the regular MEGR -253 ? Do you know ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
.. Probably the reason behind the 11" WC spec is the number of RV fridge fires. All mfg's of RV fridges have had their fare share of them lately.
11 inches of water column is the traditional operating pressure for low-pressure propane supply, and has been for a very long time (decades); it isn't reduced from some higher pressure due to safety concerns.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.