Another Refrigerator Solution - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The H just means higher BTU capacity. It's overkill in my application. The higher capacity regulator could provide low pressure fuel on the primary tank to a device (or devices)that consume up to 350,000 BTU per hour. Every propane device in the trailer running full blast along with the propane quick connect would not come close to that.
I agree, but that flow spec is at 100 psi input pressure, which corresponds to about 19 C or 70 F; lower the temperature to freezing (0 C 32 F) and the input pressure is half as much... and output pressure will drop a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The output pressure is the same regardless - 11 wc. Mine measured almost 13 when installed before adjusting. The stock one was under 11.
Yes, the target is the same, but reality interferes. No regulator can maintain an absolutely constant pressure regardless of conditions. I noticed in the information sheet that came with one of my regulators that the manufacturer publishes a graph showing the acceptable output pressure as a function of flow, and that pressure is expected to drop slightly as flow increases through the design range. That means that the regulator with higher flow capacity can be expected to have slightly higher output pressure at low flow.

The 11"WC pressure spec is a target, and part of a range of acceptable values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Question if you get the merge-253h do you have to adjust down to 11 or ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It should be set at 11 wc by the factory.
Right - these are not intended to be user-adjustable, and are all (whether high-flow model or not) supposed to be at the same target pressure setting when you get them.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Mine was a little high. Would not have known that without a manometer. But, would also not have known that the stock one was a little low.
I agree that few of us know how far off of the intended pressure any of our regulators are running. The only thing that is certain is that if any of them put out exactly 11"WC at any moment it would be accidental.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
... on the high capacity one ,what is on the side some sort of fitting , that is not on the regular MEGR -253 ?
The three versions of the MEGR regulator look externally identical; the difference is in internal dimensions. There is a gauge test port on the side of the (larger diameter) second stage in each version... I don't recall this on earlier similar regulators from Marshall (only an input-side gauge port).

MEGR -253L (low flow rate - olive colour on second stage cover)
MEGR -253 (regular flow rate)
MEGR -253H (high flow rate - blue colour on second stage cover)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The three versions of the MEGR regulator look externally identical; the difference is in internal dimensions. There is a gauge test port on the side of the (larger diameter) second stage in each version... I don't recall this on earlier similar regulators from Marshall (only an input-side gauge port).

MEGR -253L (low flow rate - olive colour on second stage cover)
MEGR -253 (regular flow rate)
MEGR -253H (high flow rate - blue colour on second stage cover)
Brian on the Amazon site the MEGR -253H is olive color and has some kind of fitting on the side . The MEGR they sell is just the metal color . Don't know if there is a difference in what they sell you in Canada or United States . We don't have and other hookups except for heater , oven , water heater for the propane . For barbucue carry seperate bottles so we wouldn't need the H propane regulator ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Brian on the Amazon site the MEGR -253H is olive color and has some kind of fitting on the side . The MEGR they sell is just the metal color .
Sorry - I accidentally reversed the low and high capacity colours! I should have noticed, as green indicates high flow in QCC connectors as well. Yes, the regular one is entirely raw metal colour, not having a colour code.

The fitting (which is on all of them) is a place to connect a test gauge, according to the description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We don't have and other hookups except for heater , oven , water heater for the propane . For barbucue carry seperate bottles so we wouldn't need the H propane regulator ?
As Robert mentioned, the high-flow version should not be required for any Escape, particularly if the standard regulator maintains flow at lower input pressure. I assume that they exist primarily for large RVs that have one or two large furnaces, and possibly an on-demand water heater.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:29 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sorry - I accidentally reversed the low and high capacity colours! I should have noticed, as green indicates high flow in QCC connectors as well. Yes, the regular one is entirely raw metal colour, not having a colour code.

The fitting (which is on all of them) is a place to connect a test gauge, according to the description.


As Robert mentioned, the high-flow version should not be required for any Escape, particularly if the standard regulator maintains flow at lower input pressure. I assume that they exist primarily for large RVs that have one or two large furnaces, and possibly an on-demand water heater.
Brian good to know . I never noticed regulators had different colors until I started looking them up . Nor did I know there was high capacity and the regular . The regular one is $5.00 cheaper .money in our pockets ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:52 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sorry - I accidentally reversed the low and high capacity colours! I should have noticed, as green indicates high flow in QCC connectors as well. Yes, the regular one is entirely raw metal colour, not having a colour code.

The fitting (which is on all of them) is a place to connect a test gauge, according to the description.


As Robert mentioned, the high-flow version should not be required for any Escape, particularly if the standard regulator maintains flow at lower input pressure. I assume that they exist primarily for large RVs that have one or two large furnaces, and possibly an on-demand water heater.
Even though the HP is not needed, it should still work fine and not cause any problems? I've already ordered one and will keep it, if it will indeed work.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Even though the HP is not needed, it should still work fine and not cause any problems? I've already ordered one and will keep it, if it will indeed work.

Not HP, which would mean high pressure, but HC, or high capacity. It doesn't matter whether you use a higher capacity regulator or not - it will supply the required pressure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Not HP, which would mean high pressure, but HC, or high capacity. It doesn't matter whether you use a higher capacity regulator or not - it will supply the required pressure.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My error, you're correct, its HC. Thanks for the info.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Not HP, which would mean high pressure, but HC, or high capacity. It doesn't matter whether you use a higher capacity regulator or not - it will supply the required pressure.
I agree - I've never seen a minimum flow rate for a propane regulator, and I believe that the intention is that any of these regulators should provide an acceptable output pressure at even the lowest flow you might need.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.