Axle replacement in CO or WY? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2022, 08:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Axle replacement in CO or WY?

So, got the bad news today that our 2017 E19 rear axle should be replaced and this utility trailer shop will not replace it due to our spray foam insulation AND they said our front axle brakes are not working, maybe never have. The wires are connected at the drums and are tight, but no power and they won’t trace the wires due to the foam. So, some questions.

1. From researching prior posts, our E19 has Torflex #10 axle 3500# axle assemblies, correct? I found nothing in our collection of manuals.
2. Anybody know a shop in Colorado or Wyoming that you could recommend? I’d have them do the brake work too.
3. Has anyone with the foam insulation gotten a new axle?
4. Any idea of a reasonless price for this?

BTW, my shop thought they had fixed my axle spindle scoring after I had an issue last year, but they said the spindle scoring returned and is worse, so they recommend that the axle be replaced. Here is a link to my prior thread relating this issue. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...pan-20518.html
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I would get another opinion re the spindle scoring. This has never been reported here as a reason to replace an axle.

Dexter has a list of shops who will do repairs & replacements, however as you probably know- there is no repair if in fact the spindle is wasted.
Old 10-15-2022, 12:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Yes, that's the same axle that they sent me.

I'm a little surprised that the foam is being used as an excuse not to do the axle replacement. The axle is held on by two large bolts on each side (red circle) and they could be easily accessed by cutting away the foam. I don't have spray insulation so maybe there's something that I'm missing.

Since the brake wiring is buried under foam it might be easier to direct wire from the junction box on the tongue. Did they also check that the ground wire was grounded?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
20-09-2021 12-37-59 PM_0002Bolt_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:16 PM   #4
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, that's the same axle that they sent me.

I'm a little surprised that the foam is being used as an excuse not to do the axle replacement. The axle is held on by two large bolts on each side (red circle) and they could be easily accessed by cutting away the foam. I don't have spray insulation so maybe there's something that I'm missing.

Since the brake wiring is buried under foam it might be easier to direct wire from the junction box on the tongue. Did they also check that the ground wire was grounded?

Ron
Agreed Ron. We have the foam insulation and it did not cause any difficulty in replacing our front axle on an E19. Brake wires were easily accessible and the axle mounting bolts were free from the foam.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:35 PM   #5

Well, thanks Ron & Steve! It was late Friday afternoon and I think the shop wanted me out of there and I just panicked. I just went out to the storage yard and crawled underneath. There is no foam obstructing the axles or the mounting bolts. Foam is actually a non-issue for axle replacement and I like the idea of just rewiring the front axle brakes to the junction box if needed. In a partial defense of the shop (Maxey Trailer) they are not listed on Dexter’s site as an authorized dealer or installer, but they could have just said that instead of using the lame excuse of the foam. A friend recommended a Denver shop that is an authorized dealer/installer and I plan to call them on Monday.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
#10 Dexter

The # 10 Dexter is AKA as a 3.5K axle. It can be ordered with a weight rating of 2.5K to 4K. The axles on my 2014 E-21 were rated at 2.5K each. There may be a decal on each axle with the specifics and weight rating of your axles. If the decals are missing the axle serial number is in the center rear of the axle beam. Contact Dexter with your serial number and they will have the details of your axle if you need to order an axle.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
The # 10 Dexter is AKA as a 3.5K axle. It can be ordered with a weight rating of 2.5K to 4K. The axles on my 2014 E-21 were rated at 2.5K each. There may be a decal on each axle with the specifics and weight rating of your axles. If the decals are missing the axle serial number is in the center rear of the axle beam. Contact Dexter with your serial number and they will have the details of your axle if you need to order an axle.
Eddie
Will do. Thanks, Eddie!
Old 10-16-2022, 11:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Consider getting the optional replaceable spindles. I have no idea how much it might cost, but If I were ordering a Torflex axle I would insist on it.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...it-705-00).pdf

Charles