Cell phone reception while traveling - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 10-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #11

Trailer: Trailswest Campster, Escape 15A
Same here. I'm going to change to Verizon as it seems to have better reception.

Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 due 4/15/17 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 17B "Blue")
Verizon is the only network that provides coverage in our rural area. Visitors with various other networks have had no coverage. We have traveled extensively around the country using Verizon and have generally found only sporadic areas with no coverage; ie in valleys and in very sparsely populated areas of the West.

I just got a new iPhone 7 and it does seem to have 2 bars of reception here when my older 5s used to usually have only 1.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm still in the dark ages with an iPhone5,
We're even farther behind you with our clamshell, flip phones.

We pay a 100 bucks for 1000 minutes and I usually don't use them all in a year, so they roll over when I buy another 1000 minutes.

Yeah, not big cell phone users here. But, I know that may change with the trailer getting used, so we've started to talk about our options. I'm hoping I can use my Ipad mini for the times I want to check weather and routes. We really don't want to pay those huge monthly rates for a phone.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B, 2016 Tacoma Off Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

We pay a 100 bucks for 1000 minutes and I usually don't use them all in a year, so they roll over when I buy another 1000 minutes.

Yeah, not big cell phone users here. But, I know that may change with the trailer getting used, so we've started to talk about our options. I'm hoping I can use my Ipad mini for the times I want to check weather and routes. We really don't want to pay those huge monthly rates for a phone.
My AT&T plan is also an antique. 450 minutes with rollover for $35.00 per month. When I moved to an iPhone (the original) adding unlimited data was another $35.00 per month. They raised the unlimited data by $5.00 a couple of months ago so my total bill with a job related discount is around $73.00 per month.

I have rollover on the voice - the last time I checked I had 3000 minutes, and while they call the data unlimited, when you hit 22GB, they slow you down for the rest of the month. I would have to give up the unlimited data to tether the phone, but I use it a lot for internet radio, Pandora, etc on the phone itself. The most I've used for a month was just over 20GB.

I have a Verizon Jetpack from Millenicom that was transferred to Verizon when they shut them down. $100.07 per month for 20GB. I pretty much use all of the Verizon data each month when on the road.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #15

Trailer: Former class c .. Deciding on 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Raises hand proud! Flip phone here also! Never text either.....a bit of a dinosaur....
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:34 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have used AT&T on at least 10 trips to distant destinations in the US plus three to Canada. I found minimal interruption and very good service. AT&T is now offering free Canadian roaming on voice, text and data. You have to ask for it. They offer the same for Mexico and the Caribbean. I just used the Canadian for three weeks in the Maritimes and had excellent service.

Just the past couple of months AT&T began a plan with no overage charges. Between the two of us we have 1 Gig of data and will run out while travelling. For this we get dinged $20 for another .5 Gig of data. The new plan, which includes roll over minutes, does not have an overage charge. Rather they throttle your speed. We have encountered the throttling and do not find it to be much different. You probably cannot watch videos, but we refrain from that anyway. I find the peace of mind not worrying about overages a nice feature. I believe the plan is costing us $45 each.

If you purchase this plan and give them my name I will receive thousands of dollars in money and swag. Do it!
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Raises hand proud! Flip phone here also! Never text either.....a bit of a dinosaur....
OMG, I got a text once (other than the usual junk/spam ones that I delete) and I didn't know how to reply to it. So, I never did. Hardly anyone knows my cell number and that's the way I want to keep it. I had to laugh when a business once tried texting to my landline - they just assumed it was a cell number. (Least I think that's what they were trying to do.)

www.UnderKittySupervision.com

NW Cat Owner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA 2016 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Jim
We have Verizon too. One of the things I like about Verizon is that when we cross over into Canada, we get a message from them that service is available in Canada for $2.00 per day. We use it. If we do not use it that day, no charge. It updates each day and goes away when we re-enter the USA. It worked well at Osoyoos, St Malo Provicial Park in Manitoba and across Ontario when we went to Niagara Falls. My IPhone makes me know that I am pretty much clueless when it comes to using all the features provided. Good thing I have a 7 person technical support staff led by my 9 year old grandson.
Dave
Dave we just used that $2 a day plan when we picked up our 5.0 a couple of weeks ago and it is definitely user friendly!
Old 10-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
I got a flip phone also! Don't want no Smart Phone that is smarter than me. I don't want to text, don't do facebook, i don't tweet, don't want to. We go visit our grandkids, our daughter, and they have they're faces stuck in those things. People's whole lives revolve around those stupid things. How sad.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
[QUOTE=Am I being taken for a ride here or is the new iPhone 6S that much better in reception than the first IPhone 6? Anyone with this phone, please let me know your thoughts, thank you,[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think you are. We switched to T-Mobile from Verizon when they offered a buy one get one half off iPhone 6s. We also wanted the Binge On feature which allows you to stream apps like Netflix and HBOnow without using data. Love the phones but not the service. We traveled to Escape Industries in BC in April from Las Vegas Nv. We traveled down the Oregon Coast on our return through Northern CA and back to NV at Lake Tahoe. Service was very sporadic. For the most part only available in metropolitan areas with 4G or LTE. In rural areas we sometimes had E which only allows for voice. In other situations we had roaming, but with a limit of 200MG per month.
In July through Sept we traveled to Southern Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona same problem.

We are waiting to pay off the phones and will then our goal is to have 1 phone with one carrier and one with another if we can make that work for a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

ronkat is offline   Reply With Quote