converter humming - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
converter humming

The converter in our 17B emits a humming noise when we are plugged in. I wouldn't normally notice it, except that the converter is underneath our heads, and I am a side sleeper so my ear is directly on the pillow. Have others noticed this, or am I just being overly sensitive. And yes, Lindy tells me that I am a "sensitive new age guy"

Leon
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: converter humming

It's hard to over-turn years of convention so this may not work for you. But I sleep on the left side of the bed and the 'old bag' on the right. She sleeps through the night and I have to check out the bathroom at least once, so, we sleep ( in our 17B ) with our heads on the passenger side. We leave the flip up part of the counter in the raised position ( with my feet comfortably under it ) ( and the satellite radio tuned to 'oldies radio' on top ).

Any chance you could sleep with your head at the other end?

baglo
Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Baglo,

you are right, that would solve the problem, and it is a nice simple solution. But we set the trailer up with reading lights on the driver's side, and the TV on the passenger side, so we would have to flip around rather than just reaching up and turning off the lights.

Also, one of the unexpected fringe benefits of the trailer is sharing a small bed. We end up doing a lot more snuggling in the trailer than our queen size bed at home. It isn't that we like each other better when we are camping, just that we are so cozy. Over on FGRV Norm (of Norm and Ginny) talked about how they felt a bit adrift in their queen bed after returning from a 300+ day trip. I really identify, even though our longest trip is only about 21 days. We have even talked about getting a smaller bed for our home.

We put a 2" mattress topper on the cushions. So the hum is coming through the 4" cushions, 2" of foam and a couple of inches of pillow. One of these days, I am going to get down there and see how loud it is if you open the compartment.

All that said, thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it.

Leon

Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I know at home sometimes when the refer starts to hum, a little tap and it goes away. Normally caused by 2 bottles/cans touching each other and resonating. Perhaps something is near the converter that is vibrating?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Thanks Jim. I will have a look at that and see if something is resting against it or there is some sort of harmonic vibration.