Fridge latch - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Re: Fridge latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burloak
I discovered that the little brown coloured latch wasn't fully engaging the metal hoop that acts as its catch if you simply shut the door but it could be manually manipulated after shutting the door to engage a few millimetres deeper after the door is already closed.
This is the sort of little thing that makes all the difference in the world. I'm a trailer-novice, so this is exactly the sort of thing I need.

It's also the sort of thing that might or might not be in the introduction to your trailer you get from Reace, and even if it's there you might or might not retail along with the rest of the land slide of information you get, and might or might not be in whatever documentation comes with the fridge from the manufacturer.

I wonder if there are enough little "factoids" like this that would be worth putting into an FAQ document? Or maybe there is such a document around somewhere?

I'm all for written instructions and detailed manuals, but I guess a lot of people don't read that sort of stuff. Would you find a 10-15 page FAQ of "little tips" useful? Or would you throw it in a drawer without ever reading it and forget about it.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp

Common sense and some organized procedures are important. When leaving the house I check certain things and insure things are off or on. Likewise in a trailer. Putting a lot of weight 2-3' off the ground in a moving vehicle is an accident waiting to happen. I do not put anything of any weight on the door until arrival. By departure all that weight is now inside of me!!!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander

We had the fridge come open once during our return from Chilliwack to St. Paul. There wasn't any rough road that day, but we must have hit a bump somewhere. Since that time, I always double check to make the sure the latch is fully engaged, and since I had the door tightened as per my previous post, we haven't had any problems. [knock on wood].

Leon
Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012

Thanks for all your replies. The child-proof latch looks like a good idea and I will still use the bungie. Plus, keep the weight down on the door shelves! Looks like more items for the drive-away checklist. Great feedback from you all. Thanks!
Eric
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Hi: holo... This is the first time in 5yrs. that our fridge door has come open. Unfortunately I hit the "Grande Canyon" of speed bumps in ME. and it pulled the 7pin connection too No sense in crying over spilt milk... them's the brakes. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Hi: holo... The first trip of the year and we were packing to come home when we noticed the handle of our 5cu. ft. fridge wasn't staying shut. The door's magnetic seal was all that was holding it closed. I removed the handle and the tension spring(smaller than a paper clip) inside it was broken. Of course it's Sun. am. Now what?
Lasso'd the door shut for the trip... but stopped by Myrtle Beach Camping World just to see what's avail." We don't have one but our other store across town has two", was Joe's reply. After getting directions and their CW part#... we headed across town. Cost $35. and while my wife made lunch I replaced the handle. Very good service for a Sunday I'd say. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #17

Trailer: '07 17B
Ours came open once when we first had it, after driving over frost-heaved roads. I just put a cup hook into the side wall panel & used a small bungy (6") from there to the fridge trim. We always travel with the door fully loaded & it hasn't come open again, with this system.
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Ours came off on washboard roads last summer, without much stuff in the door. I tightened the hinge pins, put a shim in the thumb latch, and backed that up with a bungie. Hasn't happened since; not sure which fix is most effective, but I don't care!

soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote