How long for inverter to drain battery? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Posts: 13
How long for inverter to drain battery?

How long would it take for a 1500W inverter to drain the batteries if you left it on?
Thank you!
__________________

vivid blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,424
You have to read your specs on the inverter, depends on your solar and batteries and if there is anything plugged in or not.
__________________

__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North of Hertel, Wisconsin
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid blue View Post
How long would it take for a 1500W inverter to drain the batteries if you left it on?
Thank you!
How much load is the inverter feeding ?
A cell phone or a large wattage electrical appliance ?
An inverter is not a substitute for shore power IMHO , it is only a short term temporary solution .
__________________
“ The Danbury Malcontented Curmudgeon
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Posts: 13
This is just a hypothetical question because we don't have the 5.0TA yet (Dec 2019). How long wouldit take for the 1500W inverter to drain fully charged dual 6V batteries (225 amp) at night (so no solar) with nothing else drawing from it?.--(These are all from the Escape options.)
vivid blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,424
Well, you can try it and report back, just do not go below 50%, then you may have permanent damage. Read this if you want to learn more about batteries parts 1 & 2 The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
davidmurphy02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid blue View Post
This is just a hypothetical question because we don't have the 5.0TA yet (Dec 2019). How long wouldit take for the 1500W inverter to drain fully charged dual 6V batteries (225 amp) at night (so no solar) with nothing else drawing from it?.--(These are all from the Escape options.)
Don't have ready access to my trailer / manuals right now to look that up, I'm sure the inverter manual has specs on how much the inverter draws just by itself. But there would be no reason to leave it on all night with nothing running off it since it does use battery power just running by itself. Inverters are generally used for relatively short duration - briefly for running the microwave, which draws a lot, or longer for watching a 120 volt TV. I can't think of anything I'd want to have on all night - although I have heard of some folks who use a CPAP machine and those probably run on 120 volt AC.

If the inverter could run all night and not deplete your batteries, it would surely make a good dent in them and if you're boondocking you also will be using battery power for all the 12 volt stuff - fridge control board, furnace fan, water pump, lights, etc. On a sunny day with good exposure on your solar panel you can usually get charged back up, but there are many variables.
__________________
David, Mary, and 3 Cats
davidmurphy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,489
leave the inverter OFF unless you absolutely need it, and switch it off again as soon as you're done.

typical inverter is going to draw maybe 1% of its rating even with no load at all. so a 1500 watt inverter, thats maybe 15 watts, which at 12V is like 1.2 amps. 1.2 amps for 24 hours would be 28 amp*hours, about 12% of yoru batteries total capacity (and 25% of the batteries useful 50% capacity).

(had to edit this, I slipped a decimal place in my first computation)
__________________
2014 Escape 21 (home away from home)
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4 (tug)
1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet (daily driver)
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,489
btw, that 1% is why I use a little portable '200W' inverter, its static drain with no load is only a a couple watts... I use this for charging laptops, a few other things that are 120V only but don't need more than 100 or 150 watts.
__________________
2014 Escape 21 (home away from home)
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4 (tug)
1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet (daily driver)
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 2,125
My inverter seems to draw a couple of amps as a parasitic load when it isn't powering anything. So-- drawing down your batteries to 50% would be 225 amp-hours / 2 = 112.5. 112.5 / 2 amps = 56.25 hours if you leave it on, not powering anything. YMMV, as they say.
__________________
Mike Lewis
Photos and travelogues here: mikelewisimages.com
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
bdornbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
btw, that 1% is why I use a little portable '200W' inverter, its static drain with no load is only a a couple watts... I use this for charging laptops, a few other things that are 120V only but don't need more than 100 or 150 watts.
I recently decided to do the same and bought a 300W inverter. It connects to the Escape through a 12v cigarette lighter connector, or auxiliary power cord. If I were to really draw 300W, that would be 25 amps, and that would exceed the safe current for a power connector. I was thinking about replacing the connector plug with Andersen PowerPole connectors which are good to 30 amps. Is this a good idea, or am I OK with the cigarette lighter plug? I just want to charge laptops, too.
__________________
Bill Dornbush
http://dornbush.net
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Posts: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I recently decided to do the same and bought a 300W inverter. It connects to the Escape through a 12v cigarette lighter connector, or auxiliary power cord. If I were to really draw 300W, that would be 25 amps, and that would exceed the safe current for a power connector. I was thinking about replacing the connector plug with Andersen PowerPole connectors which are good to 30 amps. Is this a good idea, or am I OK with the cigarette lighter plug? I just want to charge laptops, too.
It would not be just changing the power connector. The wire size from the 12v panel to the connector would have to be increased. Depending on how far the outlet is from the panel, the wire size may need to be 8 gauge to be able to handle 25 amps. Of course, the fuse supplying the circuit would have to increased as well.
__________________
If It Isn’t Perfect, It Isn’t Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Elk River, Minnesota
Trailer: 2018 5.0TA
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Don't have ready access to my trailer / manuals right now to look that up, I'm sure the inverter manual has specs on how much the inverter draws just by itself. But there would be no reason to leave it on all night with nothing running off it since it does use battery power just running by itself. Inverters are generally used for relatively short duration - briefly for running the microwave, which draws a lot, or longer for watching a 120 volt TV. I can't think of anything I'd want to have on all night - although I have heard of some folks who use a CPAP machine and those probably run on 120 volt AC.



If the inverter could run all night and not deplete your batteries, it would surely make a good dent in them and if you're boondocking you also will be using battery power for all the 12 volt stuff - fridge control board, furnace fan, water pump, lights, etc. On a sunny day with good exposure on your solar panel you can usually get charged back up, but there are many variables.
CPAP normally runs off of 110V, but with the right attachments can be made to run on 12V DC. Huge battery bank not usually adequate for all night.
Also, I spoke with Escape at the beginning of our current long trip (new 5.0ta Nov 18). Dustin felt that bright sun and cool weather were not enough to run our fridge! I was surprised and disappointed, but have stayed with propane.
PM15283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
It would not be just changing the power connector. The wire size from the 12v panel to the connector would have to be increased. Depending on how far the outlet is from the panel, the wire size may need to be 8 gauge to be able to handle 25 amps. Of course, the fuse supplying the circuit would have to increased as well.
One should also wire up to one of the lowest two positions on the WFCO DC board. These are rated for 30A. The other nine positions are rated for only 20A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4E16D226-F2A7-4B32-819B-76B83A59EB9E.jpg (202.2 KB, 14 views)
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,489
I installed a pair of powerpole 30a each on it's own 30a fuse with 12awg...


__________________
2014 Escape 21 (home away from home)
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4 (tug)
1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet (daily driver)
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:29 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
CPAP normally runs off of 110V, but with the right attachments can be made to run on 12V DC. Huge battery bank not usually adequate for all night.
I have four 6 volt batteries, 3 solar panels and a 2,500 watt inverter. My highest energy consumption is for my 12VDC refrigerator but since I consume a lot of power I watch my overall consumption. My inverter is never left on with no load for any reason. The inverter wastes a lot of power when idling with no load so don't leave it on. Mine is set up with a manual transfer switch I installed so when I want 120VAC to all the outlets I turn on the inverter switch and throw the transfer switch into the correct position. When I'm done using 120VAC from one or more the outlets then I turn everything back the way it was. If I am using a lot of inverter power during the day my solar panels will generally keep me fully charged simultaneously. Having a lot of solar and batteries is great when boon-docking.

I use a CPAP machine with humidifier every night with a 12VDC power supply sold for that unit that plugs into a 12VDC power socket. I don't want to run this on the inverter because it would use a lot more power than the 12VDC power supply. I'm sure you can run a CPAP nightly with 2 batteries.

My inverter is only used for those situations where 12VDC is not a good option;
  • Coffee grinder used each morning
  • Mr Coffee Machine used each morning
  • 1,800 watt electric griddle used sometimes for breakfast
  • Electric head shaver
  • Sous Vide Cooker
  • Instant Pot Cooker
  • Electric meat smoker
  • Other misc...
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,489
  • I use a HandGround coffee mill to grind my daily beans
  • I use a hand pour Melitta filter to make coffee directly into my stainless thermos tumblers, with water boiled on the stove or via my JetBoil Sumo
  • if I needed to griddle breakfast, I'd use my propane stove
  • My shaver battery lasts a month or more on a charge
  • I've never used a sous vide cooker, can't that be done stovetop?
  • I've never used an instant pot
  • only smoking we've done has been with charcoal or on our propane grill at home, then frozen and brought on the road.
__________________
2014 Escape 21 (home away from home)
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4 (tug)
1993 Mercedes 300CE Cabriolet (daily driver)
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #17
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I recently decided to do the same and bought a 300W inverter. It connects to the Escape through a 12v cigarette lighter connector, or auxiliary power cord. If I were to really draw 300W, that would be 25 amps, and that would exceed the safe current for a power connector. I was thinking about replacing the connector plug with Andersen PowerPole connectors which are good to 30 amps. Is this a good idea, or am I OK with the cigarette lighter plug? I just want to charge laptops, too.
Why not just find the right adapter for the laptop. They all use DC for charging, seems wasteful to change DC to AC and then back to DC for the computer. I just plug mine into a outlet with the USB, it works.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM15283 View Post
CPAP normally runs off of 110V, but with the right attachments can be made to run on 12V DC. Huge battery bank not usually adequate for all night.
Also, I spoke with Escape at the beginning of our current long trip (new 5.0ta Nov 18). Dustin felt that bright sun and cool weather were not enough to run our fridge! I was surprised and disappointed, but have stayed with propane.


It seems the CPAP answer varies a lot depending on the specific model. My ResMed Airsense 10 has way less battery impact than running the furnace in cold temps. I haven’t paid super close to exactly how many amps it uses in a night because it’s never been a concern. I do use it with their 12V adapter, not 110 via inverter, and I don’t run the humidifier.
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,483
How long for inverter to drain battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why not just find the right adapter for the laptop. They all use DC for charging, seems wasteful to change DC to AC and then back to DC for the computer. I just plug mine into a outlet with the USB, it works.

I just got a new MacBook, which uses a USB-C port to charge. I’m thinking about trying this for charging in the trailer. It would plug into a trailer USB outlet, then the USB-C to USB-C cord goes to the computer.

IMG_2037.jpg

However, I’m concerned that the wiring in a USB port won’t be up to the task.

Any of our resident EE’s have thoughts on the matter?
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I just got a new MacBook, which uses a USB-C port to charge. I’m thinking about trying this for charging in the trailer. It would plug into a trailer USB outlet, then the USB-C to USB-C cord goes to the computer.

Attachment 41094

However, I’m concerned that the wiring in a USB port won’t be up to the task.

Any of our resident EE’s have thoughts on the matter?
I'm not an EE, but have been dealing with Macs since they were born. I don't believe you will get much, if any charging from that adapter. I used a 30 watt 12V to USB C charger with my MacBook Pro, and while it would charge the Mac, it couldn't keep up if I was using it.

I switched to a 90 watt 12V - USB C charger & it works just like it was plugged into the standard 120V power source.
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×