Inside refrigerator fans - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
You measured on the outside and drilled from the inside? That sounds kind of sporty sitting here where I can't have a look at ours while writing this. I'd like to do my fan install tomorrow if possible.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #52

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
You measured on the outside and drilled from the inside? That sounds kind of sporty sitting here where I can't have a look at ours while writing this. I'd like to do my fan install tomorrow if possible.
Oh - make the wire bundles I avoided gray and WHITE (not black.)

I measured the spot to drill inside the trailer - the distances are FROM (not on) the outside of the fridge carcass. (And I triple-checked them via the hatch behind the fridge - outside of the trailer.) My fridge buts up against the ETI trim - none of the carcass is covered - important when measuring.

OR you can measure on the back to be sure it is ok and just count the shelf slots on my interior picture to figure out where to drill.

jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
But why drill any holes if you can feed the wire through the hole for the thermistor like I did?
See pix in my post #33.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #54

I was about to say that on the 6.7 the hole for the thermistor is somewhere behind the fins and I didn't want to risk removing them to find it. I didn't notice your photo earlier. I guess there is no great risk in removing the fins, so I'll likely do the same thing. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:01 PM   #55

Trailer: ?
The thermistor hole exits too far up behind the fridge. With the ETI baffle and 6.7 fridge it is not accessible without removing the fridge.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #56

Ours is pre-baffle, so I wonder if I can run a piece of lawn trimmer through from the inside like someone else mentioned here and fish a wire back through that way. I may try that before getting out the drill. I really appreciate you providing pictures and measurements for your drilling. I guess the box is nothing more than a box, but I would have been afraid of hitting something between the inner and outer walls.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #57

It is very tight quarters back there. I pushed stiff wire through my thermistor hole and was able to push enough through to reach up from behind, grab and pull down. Very anal job, but if you don't want a second hole at the very least, worth the effort.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #58

After a couple days of testing I decided my little fan with the blue lights is either totally irrelevant or simply not strong enough to make a difference in the cooling. Going with the second possibility, I decided to try Fan B, and add a second fan. No cute lights this time, since I got it at Surplus City where a mountain of dusty, cannibalized electronics may be had. The fan cost 5 bucks, draws 120mA, but is considerably stronger than Fan A.

[Test B in progress.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fanB.jpg (89.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #59
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Call me a skeptic, but I can't see a whole lot can be gained stirring air in the fridge beyond helping to keep the fins from frosting over. I've received the "Fridge Fix" fan to play with when I pick up my 21. The key is to move the heat off the fins at the rear of the fridge - baffles will help convection, but I'm going to futz with extraction fans at the top of the vent for a new hobby.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #60

Expect my test results will either confirm your skepticism, bash it all to hell, or leave me beached and awash on Irrelevance Island. No matter, Fortesque. We dance!