Leaking Shower Vent? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
There is an alternative option depending on how DYI you are.
When we had our 17, the 9" vent screen failed, was yellow, cleaning it was impossible and I did not want to replace it with another one. The 14" won't fit because there is not a big enough flat area to mount it on, inside or out.
ETI had just started to install the powered pushup one so I got one. I removed the 9" vent (takes patience), cleaned up the hole and all the caulking. I was able to get power from the bathroom light and push a wire over to the vent hole. I then got 2 sheets on aluminum (1/8 inch), about 9.5 inches square and cut a matching hole in them for the new pushup vent. One sheet goes on the outside secured with caulking and rivets (used the same holes as the old vent) and the other goes on the inside with 4 screws. I think I painted the inside one white. Installed the new fan/vent, hook up the power and it works fine.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:20 AM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I believe Hengs makes a 9" square metal cover, used on some Airstreams.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Will check this out . Thanks Jim . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I will put together some pictures and post in this thread. As I said, I couldn't see having ETI replace it with the same thing, which is the only option they have with this 9 inch vent.
Thanks Tim will be looking for your pics . Pat
Old 10-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
There is an alternative option depending on how DYI you are.
When we had our 17, the 9" vent screen failed, was yellow, cleaning it was impossible and I did not want to replace it with another one. The 14" won't fit because there is not a big enough flat area to mount it on, inside or out.
ETI had just started to install the powered pushup one so I got one. I removed the 9" vent (takes patience), cleaned up the hole and all the caulking. I was able to get power from the bathroom light and push a wire over to the vent hole. I then got 2 sheets on aluminum (1/8 inch), about 9.5 inches square and cut a matching hole in them for the new pushup vent. One sheet goes on the outside secured with caulking and rivets (used the same holes as the old vent) and the other goes on the inside with 4 screws. I think I painted the inside one white. Installed the new fan/vent, hook up the power and it works fine.
Hi Chris that is a bit of work . I was thinking of something like that . I was thinking of a piece of fiberglass matching the contours of roof to just close up hole . Your idea using the current powered vent is better . I will bookmark your fix if it has to come down to this . Thankyou . Pat
Old 10-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I could never find one to buy and still would have had to remove the old one. Trying to follow the KIS method first and will resort to replacement if I have to. So far everything I have done has worked great.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:41 PM   #37

Here is my modification of the 9 inch plastic bath vent, common on older Escapes.
The outside of the vent was coated with Rust-oleam Leak Seal, which seals and partially insulates the outside of the vent.
The inside metal screen was cut away and I used a needle nose pliers to remove any remaining metal strands.
The inside corners and the base of the vent was sealed with caulk now that I could get to it.
Additionally, I insulated the underside of the vent cover with Reflectix (holding it in place with caulk) and then covering it with Reflectix metal tape.
I fashioned a screen to replace the metal one and hemmed the sides and inserted small grommets as locations for the screws. Screw holes were drilled in the plastic edge to hold the screen in place.
Additionally, I fashioned another piece of Reflectix which friction fits covering the hole vent when it is especially cold or hot.
Moist air no longer condenses on the underside of the vent. The screen can be removed to clean the vent area or to recaulk if necessary. The bathroom is much warmer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4518.jpg (400.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4519.jpg (181.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4521.jpg (182.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4522.jpg (387.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #38

One additional pictures on the 9 inch vent mod with the friction fit insulation in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4523.jpg (211.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
One additional pictures on the 9 inch vent mod with the friction plum fit insulation in place.
Very nice work Tim . Is the Rustolum sealer on top Black ? Does it come in a can or is it a spray ? Living in California haven't found I would need to insulate . I could put on cover if needed for longevity to cover . The screen though is a problem can't clean the way it is . I thought of coating with rubberized coating they have for roofs . What do you think of using that ? Or do I want to have more like a Rhino product for plastic ? All your thoughts on this are appreciated . Pat
Old 11-17-2015, 06:49 PM   #40

leaking shower vent

I have the 9 in shower vent and for many reason's not happy with it . I wanted to take care of vent now . Chris R. gave me lots of guidance on how to change this vent out with the current round power vent . One day I called Escape and they have a better solution to change out this 9 in vent . At the time Chris R. fixed his on his 17B , there was no other solution except replace with another 9 in . So Chris came up with a solution . Anyway mine arrived last night from Escape . I feel for the whole solution fix it is well worth it . I am posting picture just in case anyone else wants to change their 9 in out . Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010002 3.jpg (195.8 KB, 77 views)