Maxx Fan - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 19" 2009
Maxx Fan

We are out on a trip with our 19' & experiencing Maxx Fan problems. First, it would not stop running -- tried the on/off, re-setting the thermostat, etc. Finally had to remove the fuse to that line & that did it. However, when I replaced the fuse, other lights, etc on that line worked but not the fan. Now it does not want to start at all. Any suggestions?

dbiggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Maxx Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbiggers
Any suggestions?
I would call Escape. Something must be amiss. Either way they will get it working for you.

I rarely used ours, so am not real familiar. I do know there is a manual and an automatic setting, maybe yours is on auto. Just guessing.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #3

We had a similar problem in the first two weeks. Turned out that it grew out of (1) I was confusing which controls did which because they are overhead, and I wear bifocals -- couldn't really read the icons on the control buttons, and was accidentally triggering the automatic settings, as a result; and (not saying this is true of you!) I hadn't read the directions in the Maxx fan manual that came with the trailer. Once I dug the directions out of the pile of paper covering various parts of the trailer operation, the icons made sense, and I was able to recognize the controls by their position on the bottom of the fan without having to see the icons.

Hope that's all it is! Enjoy your escape.
And I must follow . . .
'09 17A with accessibility modifications
majaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #4

Is the vent open? It won't come on if it's not at least a little open. That may explain the "won't start now", but not why it wouldn't stop originally. Yep, check your manual, and if all else fails, call Escape.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

DBiggers

It is possible that you don't have the manual -- you can get it from
http://www.maxxair.com/MaxxFan-Stand...date_published

There are four controls:
1. Fan Motor Speed Control
0 - fan motor off
1 - slow speed
2 - medium speed
3 - maximum speed

2. Air Direction Rocker Switch
intake
exhaust
off (center position)

3. Thermostat
minimum to maximum -- maximum is full clockwise (as viewed from below)
fan may not operate if the thermostat is set to minimum, also thermostat will not allow the fan to operate below 20 degrees F.

4. Knob, Vent Lid Open / Close
pull to unlock prior to turning, push to lock when vent lid is open or closed
fan will not operate if the vent is closed

This means if you ensure that the vent is wide open, fan motor speed is not off, air direction is exhaust, thermostat is clockwise the fan should start.

Brian

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #6

Brian, dbiggers won't have to look up the manual now, you wrote it all down for him! Nice job! Did you have all that in your memory? I was good to remember there were 4 knobs that I turn every such way until it comes on (by luck) : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA

Hi: All... I to am a big fan of the MaxxFan!!! Like HokieEscape I also rely on a bit of "LUCK" to operate it. The one problem (nice tho) with the 5.0 is the fan is just high enough to be out of my focal length. I can't read the fine print on it so I just turn knobs till it runs...works for me!!! Alf p.s. It does have its own fuse...up there if you can read the fine print!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Our Maxx Fan has worked intermittently since October 09 when we bought our trailer.

We were planning to take the trailer to Chilliwack this week to have the fan looked at, but naturally it's working fine today.

Some things we have experienced:
  • Twice when we have been traveling in rain with the vent closed the fan started to emit a high-pitched buzzing sound. We had to unplug the fuse to get it to stop.
  • Several times after turning on the fan, none of the buttons would respond. To turn the fan off, we had to unplug the fuse.
  • When on battery power and in cold weather, the fan would suddenly beep twice and turn itself on. Again, none of the buttons would respond and we had to unplug the fuse.

And yes, I've read the instructions several times and it's *not* user error:
http://www.maxxair.com/Download-docu...l-Opening.html

When the fan stops responding to any button clicks, try holding down the on/off button for several seconds. Then click the - button. I'm not sure, but this seems to reset it sometimes.

juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 17B 2017

I wonder if you could get it serviced under warranty at the nearest Rv dealer to you. Might be an idea to ponder if it's worth a call to the company. I have read they have great customer service, but have no direct experience with them myself. Take care.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 19" 2009

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. After reading the manual and trying several things, we emailed the Maxxfan folks via their web site. One of their engineers responded and sent a new motherboard for the controls. We installed that and it seems to work fine now. :

dbiggers is offline   Reply With Quote