Need advice - Insurance while trailer in storage at Escape Industries - NJ Resident - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2015, 02:23 PM   #51

Trailer: 19 on order ETA 3/18
Thank you everyone for your input. Waiting to speak to Tammy. I will report back next week.

ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape
Ichrisdr, I bought a used trailer in BC to bring back to US. BC has a combined provincial title/insurance department. The previous owner and I went there to change the title to my name (even though I didn't register the trailer in BC). I ended up buying insurance through the provincial agency for two days while the trailer was in Canada.

I don't know if this would apply to you, but it might be an option. The name of the provincial agency was something like Insurance Commission of British Columbia ICBC, but I don't remember exactly.

Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
ICBC

Contact us

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:18 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Do you mean insurance for two days after you took the trailer or two days while sitting before you took it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Ichrisdr, I bought a used trailer in BC to bring back to US. BC has a combined provincial title/insurance department. The previous owner and I went there to change the title to my name (even though I didn't register the trailer in BC). I ended up buying insurance through the provincial agency for two days while the trailer was in Canada.

I don't know if this would apply to you, but it might be an option. The name of the provincial agency was something like Insurance Commission of British Columbia ICBC, but I don't remember exactly.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:44 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape
The day I took possession and the day after when I crossed the border. There are so many variables here with taking title, taking possession, crossing the border, etc. , all I can say is it is worth a call to ICBC.

Personally, I would not leave a trailer sitting anywhere for 5 months uninsured. ETI might be reliable, but it is their insurance company that makes the call on any loss, not ETI. Two different entities.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:15 AM   #56

Our trailer insurance from our U.S. company covered us while traveling in Canada (We would need to pay additional to be covered in Mexico.) Our U.S. roadside assistance covered us in Canada also.

The question here is for storage when the trailer is in Canada and not in the owner's possession, not while traveling in Canada. Very different things to the insurance companies.

In your case, you still had not crossed the border whereas Escapes are delivered across the border first (we went back into Canada) so I guess that is why you needed ICBC insurance for those two days, perhaps until you actually imported the trailer.

We were told that we needed ICBC insurance which was not correct that I know of. We had our own.

Storage in Canada, however, that the OP is asking about is another matter. By the way, the ICBC insurance that I looked at was expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
The day I took possession and the day after when I crossed the border. There are so many variables here with taking title, taking possession, crossing the border, etc. , all I can say is it is worth a call to ICBC.

Personally, I would not leave a trailer sitting anywhere for 5 months uninsured. ETI might be reliable, but it is their insurance company that makes the call on any loss, not ETI. Two different entities.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:23 AM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
We also don't know what insurance. Collision, comprehensive, liability? All of the above?
My trailer license I get at ICBC. My car insurance I get from ICBC. My trailer insurance, collision, comprehensive, liability, I get from another insurance company.
And, they wanted to know where the trailer would be stored.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:35 AM   #58

Yes, they all want to know where the trailer will be stored and that is the problem for the OP. U.S. companies apparently do not cover storage in Canada.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Legally, the trailer doesn't belong to you until it's 100% paid for and you have the title in hand. Might be one of those things it's worth not paying the last $100 or so. That's easily handled with cash at time of pickup. Then it falls to what you need to get the license plate and insurance. I was able to get both before pickup and still owned a very small amount of money because I knew the VIN. The insurance took affect the moment the trailer crossed the border into the US. Before that, the trailer still belong to ETI and covered by their insurance. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #60

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Escape will not be issuing you a title. If you plan to title and register this in NJ, you can't until it has been imported through customs.

Feel free to PM me your name & number and I will tell you what I did, and share an option that I didn't, but could have.

-Vinny

GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote