new to rv camping - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Normally the solar panels are permanently mounted to the roof, so you can fish whenever you want. 160 is the wattage. You can get the trailer prewired for solar without the panel and controller installed, making it easier to install later if you so decide.

Some of the folks are getting portable panels, which you move around in the sun as needed.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The solar panel is mounted on the roof, out of sight and out of the way, in the rear of the trailer. The 160 means watts which divided by 12v means about 13-14 amps per hour charge. By noon your battery will be full, every day. I believe the solar option is $700 if my memory serves me right.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Normally the solar panels are permanently mounted to the roof, so you can fish whenever you want. 160 is the wattage. You can get the trailer prewired for solar without the panel and controller installed, making it easier to install later if you so decide.

Some of the folks are getting portable panels, which you move around in the sun as needed.
Portable would almost require the same effort as dragging out a generator.Escape installs them on the roof? I'll have to drop a line to Tammy..Thanks
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
The 160 watt solar option is listed for $850.00 Canadian (which would be $760.00 US these days)

Cheers
Doug
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The solar panel is mounted on the roof, out of sight and out of the way, in the rear of the trailer. The 160 means watts which divided by 12v means about 13-14 amps per hour charge. By noon your battery will be full, every day. I believe the solar option is $700 if my memory serves me right.
They are rated for 9.14A, best I've gotten in a full day was about 50A in the dead of summer in Ma.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Welcome Brian,
We do not have solar and we only carry a Yamaha 2400 generator on extended trips. The Yamaha is very quiet, like the Honda, but it does make noise. We use it to run our A/C and charge the battery when absolutely necessary. It's gotten very little use, but it has come in handy. Carrying a generator requires a pickup for towing. I won't carry a generator inside a vehicle for safety reasons. I love pickups so that's not a problem, but others like their SUVs. A generator has its drawbacks, like requiring gas, maintenance, towing with a P/U, its size and weight, but solar has drawbacks too. It can't run A/C, and running the microwave, hairdryers, and some other things would require more investment in equipment. So the way I see it, the cost of each (including onboard inverters etc) is very near the same. Solar is easier to transport, is quieter, (because it’s passive) and requires less maintenance. But a properly sized generator will run everything while solar will not. With that said, I do admit that I don't like taking the generator for so little use, and if I didn’t already own one I’m not sure I would buy one.
Tom

PS; I haven't heard of the memory problem with generators that you mentioned.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #17

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
We have a Honda 2000 watt and had solar on our 19 and will
Have the newer 160 watt panel on the 21. We would never Have a trailer without solar again . We don't even bring the generator most of the time . Other than using it to make sure it still works we have not needed. I can't imagine going back to not having solar. The only time make sure to have hook ups is if it's going to be really hot for the ac
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The 160 means watts which divided by 12v means about 13-14 amps per hour charge. By noon your battery will be full, every day.
I see two issues with that charging current expectation:
  • Charging the battery takes more voltage than the battery has already, so the number to divide by is not 12, but at least 13 and by the end over 14.
  • The 160-watt power rating is in ideal conditions of full sun, panel oriented directly to the sun, and load (battery) at the ideal voltage for the panel characteristic - none of those will exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
They are rated for 9.14A, best I've gotten in a full day was about 50A in the dead of summer in Ma.
That looks like a more realistic rating - 9.14A at 17.5V. 50 amp-hours over a day would be equivalent to about six hours of excellent conditions (less than perfect, and at a little lower voltage than for peak power thus yielding more current), resulting from over 12 hours of varying and never ideal conditions, which seems reasonable.

If you only use 25 amp-hours from the battery a day, then I can see this panel getting the battery charge back up by noon in the summer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I see two issues with that charging current expectation:
[*]Charging the battery takes more voltage than the battery has already, so the number to divide by is not 12, but at least 13 and by the end over 14.[*]The 160-watt power rating is in ideal conditions of full sun, panel oriented directly to the sun, and load (battery) at the ideal voltage for the panel characteristic - none of those will exist.
Spot on. The Charge Controller efficiency figures into that as well.