No Power Overhead light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
No Power Overhead light

Does anyone know where the run goes (sandwiched in the upper cabinet deck) on the kitchen side? I got no voltage to the light just to the right of the sink. I tried bypassing the switch with a jumper. Nothing. I couldn't get any reading from the switch. Finally I removed the light housing and attempted to get a reading from the two wires coming in through the hole in the deck. Zero, zip. Everything else seems to be working. A failure in the line nested between two layers of plywood is puzzling.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Hmmm....that's right next to the range hood fan you just replaced. Any chance the circuit goes through the range hood wiring and something inadvertently got disconnected or is loose?
Old 08-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Hmmm....that's right next to the range hood fan you just replaced. Any chance the circuit goes through the range hood wiring and something inadvertently got disconnected or is loose?
I was anticipating you asking that question... I connected the wiring based on the schematic you provided. Of course the problem isn't in the schematic. It is what happened in the heat of the moment I suspect. After hooking everything up and satisfied that fan and light were working, I now had to deal with the fact that there was an orphan red and black coming out of the deck. I stared at these for awhile. They had originally been connected to the previous iteration of old fan and range hood switches. Maybe they had been connected upstream from the switches and in the heat of the moment when I was dismantling everything, I didn't realize that I was losing the source of power for the sink/counter light?

Before I wrapped them up in black tape, I tested them with a volt meter. Zero-zip reading. That's why I taped them and pretended like they don't exist. I simply bundled them up with the rest of the mess coming from the new fan to the range hood switches and the two other red and black which came out of the upper deck. Maybe those orphans go to the light slightly to the right of the sink?
Old 08-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
That sounds like the culprit. That circuit probably goes from the converter around to the kitchen, feeding the fan and then on to the light under the counter. I'm guessing that if you connect those orphans back into the circuit your light will come back. And I'm betting that you really tied all those wires up nice and tight and securely, figuring on never needing to touch them again and wanting them to stay out of the way
Old 08-19-2021, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
That sounds like the culprit. That circuit probably goes from the converter around to the kitchen, feeding the fan and then on to the light under the counter. I'm guessing that if you connect those orphans back into the circuit your light will come back. And I'm betting that you really tied all those wires up nice and tight and securely, figuring on never needing to touch them again and wanting them to stay out of the way
It was the culprit. All of your guesses hit the target. I owe you a beer or two. Maybe when we hook up at the Chisos Basin Campground!
Old 08-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, when I did a fuse test, the fixtures all along the curb side of my '14 21 classic were on the same fuse, including the range hood fan and light, and even the bathroom light. the center ceiling fuxtures, and forward captains lights, and the maxifan were all on another fuse.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, when I did a fuse test, the fixtures all along the curb side of my '14 21 classic were on the same fuse, including the range hood fan and light, and even the bathroom light. the center ceiling fuxtures, and forward captains lights, and the maxifan were all on another fuse.
I noticed that as well. At the least the range hood should be on its own circuit. There are 'only' about 6 unused slots available.