Portable solar panel and wire length to trailer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
When joining two feeds (portable and roof mount), is it best to use an MC4 Y connector with a single output to the existing controller or is there an alternative to joining and stepping down the feeds?

You really only need the MC4 connectors for connections that occur in the out of doors. In this environ they are superior as they’re waterproof and durable. It’s what they’re made for. For indoor connections they’re unnecessary. Generally, portable feed meets roof feed inside, next to the solar controller, possibly both feeds wired directly to the solar controller. But a wide array of configurations are possible, so MC4 might make sense in some of these. They are a PITA to take apart though, so I would seek a different solution if for a temporary connection that would be emplaced then removed regularly.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have a 100 watt portable solar panel and a 50 ft extension cable. The extension cable consists of 2- #6 THWN copper conductors terminated with Anderson Power Pole connectors.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 1721
Great information! Thank you.

I don't want to have to connect to the inside every time, so I am considering going with an Anderson Powerpole which will live somewhere outside at the front of the trailer (site driveway generally has the most open air space). The connection could enter through the bottom of the trailer near the batteries and controller. This would mean only a small hole is needed (wire diameter) and can be caulked to prevent water intrusion. My confusion has been around how to connect to the existing feed and controller. I don't believe the controller will accept two 10 gauge wires.

This should make it easier to connect and disconnect a portable. Though, the hard part is on the install.
Attached Thumbnails
Powerpole.jpg  
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have a 100 watt portable solar panel and a 50 ft extension cable. The extension cable consists of 2- #6 THWN copper conductors terminated with Anderson Power Pole connectors.
Steve, how did you get your wire through the fiberglass shell? Did you use a connector like a Zamp or drill and feed the line straight through?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
Has anybody read the blog “The RV Battery Charging Puzzle” Bob states it a little more emphatically than Alan. As close as possible with the largest wire possible. I kind of aim for perfection, although I rarely hit it.
The reason I ask is we have the solar pre-solar install from Escape . Being a 19 the batteries are in front box . They have wire inside the passenger front dinette . Then wire inside the sink upper cabinet . Escape use to run solar controller in upper kitchen cabinet . I put our Victron in that space and left space and would want controller up there too. I really don't want controller down near the floor . So is there a max length to go by in wiring to batteries . Or install a remote in kitchen cabinet and the controller needs to be at th batteries . I am just trying to learn .what are the set rules even though each installation is a little different . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Steve, how did you get your wire through the fiberglass shell? Did you use a connector like a Zamp or drill and feed the line straight through?
I ran a pair of #6 wires ( Fused ) from the battery to the power cord compartment. Installed an Anderson Power Pole connectors on the #6 wires . When we camp without hookups , I open the cord door , pull out the Anderson connector and plug in the solar panel
No holes were drilled
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #47

Quote:
I ran a pair of #6 wires ( Fused ) from the battery to the power cord compartment. Installed an Anderson Power Pole connectors on the #6 wires . When we camp without hookups , I open the cord door , pull out the Anderson connector and plug in the solar panel
No holes were drilled
Good deal. That's a great idea. I like that your approach keeps the cords on the drivers side away from general foot traffic. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
No holes were drilled
For those that want a surface mount Anderson connector (and are willing to drill a "big" hole in your Escape (it only hurts the first time!) here is a solution: Powerwerx. Amazon also sells them, but they are currently out of stock...
Old 12-19-2017, 01:39 PM   #49

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Great information! Thank you.

I don't want to have to connect to the inside every time, so I am considering going with an Anderson Powerpole which will live somewhere outside at the front of the trailer (site driveway generally has the most open air space). The connection could enter through the bottom of the trailer near the batteries and controller. This would mean only a small hole is needed (wire diameter) and can be caulked to prevent water intrusion..
These are an alternative to just drilling a hole and caulking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
gland.jpg  
Old 12-19-2017, 01:57 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
The reason I ask is we have the solar pre-solar install from Escape . Being a 19 the batteries are in front box . They have wire inside the passenger front dinette . Then wire inside the sink upper cabinet . Escape use to run solar controller in upper kitchen cabinet . I put our Victron in that space and left space and would want controller up there too. I really don't want controller down near the floor . So is there a max length to go by in wiring to batteries . Or install a remote in kitchen cabinet and the controller needs to be at th batteries . I am just trying to learn .what are the set rules even though each installation is a little different . Pat

Pat, you’re asking all the right (and usual) questions. The best all around guide that I know of, as Eric suggested, is The Battery Charging Puzzle, by Handy Bob. It’s a long read but valuable, and should answer the vast majority of your questions.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Pat, you’re asking all the right (and usual) questions. The best all around guide that I know of, as Eric suggested, is The Battery Charging Puzzle, by Handy Bob. It’s a long read but valuable, and should answer the vast majority of your questions.
Thankyou, is that online or a book ? Pat
Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #52

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thankyou, is that online or a book ? Pat

I think this is it

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Thankyou ! Thankyou ! Pat
Old 12-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Here is another option for connecting wires of different gauge on the interior of the trailer. They are from Eaton and model KT 3. They will work with 8 to 22 AWG wire. Many of these products are designed to fit on a rail, this particular product has its own mounting holes.

Called a terminal block, they come in a large variety of designs. You may find a similar design to your liking.
Attached Images

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Here is another option for connecting wires of different gauge on the interior of the trailer. They are from Eaton and model KT 3. They will work with 8 to 22 AWG wire. Many of these products are designed to fit on a rail, this particular product has its own mounting holes.

Called a terminal block, they come in a large variety of designs. You may find a similar design to your liking.
Very neat! Thank you for sharing. A few questions.

In looking at the KT3, it notes 3 circuits with 6 wire entries. Would you put the two incoming feed wires in one entry and then add the single wire going to the controller on the other side of the circuit?

Is back-feeding a problem?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #56

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
I had ETI install an empty electrical hatch (similar to: http://a.co/2HnGVVz) at the driver's side rear, under the dinette bench, on my 5.0 TA. I can use this hatch to bring in/out any sort of wire (cable TV, ethernet, solar, etc.). I have the removable power cord option so I couldn't dual use the hatch for the non-removable power cord. This isn't as convenient as having a solar connector permanently mounted outside the trailer, but it is more flexible.

By the way, it is nice to see other people are using the Andersen Powerpole connectors. I use them for all my 12v work when possible.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
By the way, it is nice to see other people are using the Andersen Powerpole connectors. I use them for all my 12v work when possible.
I didn't know anything about the Anderson Powerpoles until you, Jon V., and a few others mentioned them in different threads on the forum. I haven't used them before, but after researching them, everyone is generally very pleased with their results. I look forward to giving them a try. Powerwerx has a lot of options.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #58

I thought I had read that the Anderson connectors aren’t waterproof, no?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #59

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I thought I had read that the Anderson connectors aren’t waterproof, no?
You are correct, they are not waterproof.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:23 PM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
This article is indeed long, highly opinionated, full of inaccuracies and flat-out wrong statements. Read with a grain of salt, and verify the author's statements.
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote