Registering our new Escape in WA State - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19'
Registering our new Escape in WA State

Hi Everyone!
We live in WA state and are only about 2 hours from Chilliwack. In a few weeks we will picking up our new 19'! We are both excited and a little nervous at the same time. This is our first trailer and I've never towed anything this size before, let alone trying to back it up. I've also read many of the issues that people have had with their new Escape and that makes me wonder if we made the right decision to buy one. With that said, I think the positives out weigh the negatives!

Here is my question for those that live in WA state. What did you have to show to register the trailer and did you pay tax based upon US or CA dollars. And, what did it cost for the tabs (I know some counties are more expensive than others).

Thank you for the help!
Andy & Debby
AndySB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
The import paperwork you receive from Escape is all that is needed. Your final invoice should show what you paid in US dollars and that is what the sales tax will be based on. The sales tax varies by county- easy to google for your location. Looks like it is 8.7% for Island County. We also purchased a 3 day temporary permit for the trip home for $30. Wishing you many happy years of travel with your new Escape!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySB61 View Post
I've also read many of the issues that people have had with their new Escape and that makes me wonder if we made the right decision to buy one. With that said, I think the positives out weigh the negatives!
You made a great decision. Most issues are minor and there is no doubt the positives far exceed any negatives. I’ll venture to say that it is a rare trailer company where you can get a call back directly from the owners. Relax and enjoy the ride.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I didn't even get a temp permit to tow my new Escape home...not a problem. You'll have all the correct paperwork with you from ETI. Take it to the licensing place and be prepared to write a big check for the tax based on USD.

While issues can occur with new Escapes, I believe the majority of folks have none so try not to stew about your decision to buy an Escape. It was a good one.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokanEscape View Post
Your final invoice should show what you paid in US dollars and that is what the sales tax will be based on.
None of our Escape paperwork showed US dollars. Our final invoice showed only Canadian dollars, and a statement to that effect appears on the statement (July 2018).

While several websites publish the Canadian/US exchange rate for past dates, we found it easier to enter our total price paid (in Canadian $), less export fee ($200), tire fee, propane, etc. (not part of taxed value in CO) and print out the US equivalent $ on the date we picked up the trailer. We printed this at the motel that morning. I gave this to the CO MVD when I registered the trailer and this is what we paid tax on. Since we made payments to Escape on three different dates, with a different exchange rate each date, this was only an approximation. Our MVD was not concerned or interested, they kept the exchange documentation we provided.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
None of our Escape paperwork showed US dollars. Our final invoice showed only Canadian dollars, and a statement to that effect appears on the statement (July 2018).

While several websites publish the Canadian/US exchange rate for past dates, we found it easier to enter our total price paid (in Canadian $), less export fee ($200), tire fee, propane, etc. (not part of taxed value in CO) and print out the US equivalent $ on the date we picked up the trailer. We printed this at the motel that morning. I gave this to the CO MVD when I registered the trailer and this is what we paid tax on. Since we made payments to Escape on three different dates, with a different exchange rate each date, this was only an approximation. Our MVD was not concerned or interested, they kept the exchange documentation we provided.
That's what I did, too, mine wasn't new so I didn't have anything showing what I paid in USD, but I had the printout, and the import papers, and the bill of sale, and registration papers from the former owner. Island County, and all was easy.

Towing it home I had the import papers and bill of sale but nobody has ever stopped me towing a trailer- and I towed my Campster with expired Washington plates behind a California car for 9 months. I took 9 to 20, though, no freeway driving the first day as I had a borrowed pickup and didn't want to get up to freeway speed.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Be careful on your paperwork. First time I went to the license office I had the packet from pickup but I needed some of the paperwork that was mailed in advance. I had a bill of sale sent in USD to make sure I paid the correct tax and you need the official import docs as well. Expensive but easy.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We had no problem getting the trailer registered in Washington with the supplied paperwork. Also, because we're from Seattle and the licensing agencies there are notoriously busy, we got the registration done in Ferndale instead. Very knowledgeable and friendly folks.
CVZ
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Just ask ETI to write final amount paid in Canadian and U.S. dollars. They did it for me.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19'
Here's what you should expect if you pick up your Escape in Chilliwack (as we did, last August 10).

After your detailed walkthrough and briefing, an Escape staff member will hitch up your trailer to a tow vehicle and drive it to the border crossing at Sumas, WA. You will follow in your own tow vehicle and also cross the border at Sumas back into Washington State. You'll meet the Escape driver and your trailer at Bob's Burgers, where you will hitch up the trailer to your tow vehicle.

The driver will give you an essential piece of documentation: the stamped customs clearance, showing that your trailer was legally exported to the U.S. Without that, you will not be able to register the trailer.

You are now only about 20 minutes away from a Washington State vehicle registration facility in the town of Everson (it's in a drug store), and if you are returning to Camano Island, that's on your way. If you are concerned about getting stopped on the way to Everson without a valid trailer licence, you can get a 3-day temporary permit at any Vehicle Registration place.

You'll need the documentation that Escape sent you and it's best if the bill of sale is in U.S. dollars. Escape will print a $U.S. version for you while you are doing the briefing in Chilliwack.

And Bob's Burgers is rather good.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
You are now only about 20 minutes away from a Washington State vehicle registration facility in the town of Everson (it's in a drug store)...

This store is no longer open but there are plenty of licensing facilities along the way...
Attached Thumbnails
Licensing.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote