Source for Megahitch or Proven Industries lock? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 32
Below are links to a few photos of the lock. Shipping was quick but at a cost of about $53 USD. There was also a slightly cheaper UPS option at $35 USD but I was worried about larger brokerage fees. As it turns out even with USPS I got hit with $24 in taxes and customs fees.

Some of the Proven Industries locks are also supposed to be able to fit the safety chains but there wasn't enough room in the 2516-A version.

I have not had a chance to use the lock much so maybe after a couple camping trips I will post any more comments if I have them.

The lock fits well and seems very secure. It seems like its the most secure hitch lock on the market but at a really high cost. By the time you add up the cost of the lock, shipping, conversion to CAD and the customs fees its a lot of money for a lock.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4
__________________

chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: los angeles, California
Trailer: 2017-21' Escape born Dec 28, 2016, Casita 17' (sold)
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemando View Post
Below are links to a few photos of the lock. Shipping was quick but at a cost of about $53 USD. There was also a slightly cheaper UPS option at $35 USD but I was worried about larger brokerage fees. As it turns out even with USPS I got hit with $24 in taxes and customs fees.

Some of the Proven Industries locks are also supposed to be able to fit the safety chains but there wasn't enough room in the 2516-A version.

I have not had a chance to use the lock much so maybe after a couple camping trips I will post any more comments if I have them.

The lock fits well and seems very secure. It seems like its the most secure hitch lock on the market but at a really high cost. By the time you add up the cost of the lock, shipping, conversion to CAD and the customs fees its a lot of money for a lock.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4
thanks for posting the pics and the info

too bad the chains don't fit inside the lock.... but i suppose any determined thief might have chains on hand.

if i get this i'll also use a sturdy wheel clamp lock, so the two would work together to really discourage a thief

a pal of mine had a Aliner stolen, and was heartbroken. I dont think there were substantial hitch + wheel lock in place.
__________________

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 491
Are you sure you have the 2516A on your Escape 19? Or am I misreading it? I just was at their web site and see it's a 2 5/16 ball?


Model 2516-A (Fit's 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers)
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Are you sure you have the 2516A on your Escape 19? Or am I misreading it? I just was at their web site and see it's a 2 5/16 ball?


Model 2516-A (Fit's 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers)
Products | best trailer lock online

Here is the website, indicating the 2516-A is for both 2" and 2 5/16".

I had emailed them a photo of the coupler and told them it took a 2" ball. They confirmed the 2516-A was the correct model.
chemando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 491
Model 2516-A (Fit's 2 5/16 Atwood Yoke Latch Couplers) | Proven Industries - Best Trailer Locks


And below the "fine print" it says it only fits 2 5/16 ... guess we can find anything on the web !


Looks like a good setup, should discourage the 'average' thief.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4
Posts: 311
What's to prevent a determined thief from hooking onto the trailer with the safety chains or supply their own chains and drive off? Our strategy is to disable the wheels with a product like this.
Rittenhouse | Heavy Duty Wheel Lock - Boot Wheel Lock. Be aware that we had to have this product modified to position the steel plate properly so one or two lug nuts could not be removed, otherwise a thief just takes the tire and the boot off, replaces the tire with his own, and drives off.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
What's to prevent a determined thief from hooking onto the trailer with the safety chains or supply their own chains and drive off?
I'd call this one a 'deterrent' to the 'average' thief?! And it will keep the grease off your pant leg too!!
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: paso robles, California
Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
Posts: 113
I'm not worried about the theft at home, but at a campground. I've seen too many trailers stolen (small utility) by thieves hooking up the safety chains. I wonder about somebody trying to steal a 3000# 21 foot trailer by the chains. How likely is that? the boot is cheaper than the hitch lock.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 491
Oh, I see now. Went to the web site and see (as you said) the boot is actually cheaper then the big nose. Our trailer is under a carport so the first thing people see is the hitch so I was thinking the Proven looks tough.


I learned the 'appearance' of protection can be enough for the 'average' thief and they will move on to an easier target.


So IF they don't see the boot I wonder what could be put on the hitch that was less expensive but would be discouraging too? Or an >> >> arrow "Boot back there"
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 3,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Oh, I see now. Went to the web site and see (as you said) the boot is actually cheaper then the big nose. Our trailer is under a carport so the first thing people see is the hitch so I was thinking the Proven looks tough.


I learned the 'appearance' of protection can be enough for the 'average' thief and they will move on to an easier target.


So IF they don't see the boot I wonder what could be put on the hitch that was less expensive but would be discouraging too? Or an >> >> arrow "Boot back there"
Wondering about the boot . Will it work with the aluminum wheels , there is a stainless center that sticks out farther then the white steel wheels . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.