The Big Debate - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Traveling South throughout the year, you'll need AC. One of the big wows is having the digital thermostat that controls both heat and AC and your AC fan shuts off when at temp unlike traditional RV systems. Big resale point.
Also, others on the forum have said that the digital thermostat will run the A/C at a slower, quieter speed. This is significant because otherwise the A/C unit is really loud. I'd get the A/C and the factory digital thermostat as well.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have only used the AC in our trailer a few times, so like Brian, it has probably cost more than $10.00 per hour. That said, the few times we have used the AC we have been very happy to have it. Amazingly enough, those times were not south of the Mason Dixon line. They were places like Bozeman, MT, Gettysburg, PA and the Dalles, OR. In all those cases I would not have slept well without AC, and was very glad to have it, regardless of the cost. I guess I am getting whimpy in my old age...

Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
I recall a trip to Isle Royal where the ferry hop off point was Copper Harbor, temp was 90 and none of the motels had a/c or even ceiling fans.....yikes, long nights! The old adage applies here....better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.....But then again, most of your replies are geographically biased, as they should be!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
As of right now, we've decided to go without A/C in our 19' for several reasons.

#1. Hauling around (90 lbs?) of weight and extra wind resistance
#2. In 4 previous years of RV ownership, even living in California we only used it 3 times while camping. We almost never have hookups and running an 11K A/C on the generator was doubly loud.
#3. If we are going somewhere we know we will need it, we plan to use an 8K BTU portable unit and vent through one of the sliders (not getting frameless). These portable units are a lot quieter than the roof-mounted RV A/C units, are lighter weight, and can run easily on our Honda 2000 generator when boondocking. 90+ % of the time we won't even bring it.
#4. Save $1,100
#5. Don't really want another hole in the roof. One of our previous RV's had some water intrusion near the A/C in a very strong rain storm.

The big downside for NOT having A/C for us is going to be resale. That is a really valid point and the one thing that may change our minds. We have a while to think about it.
skyfree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
As of right now, we've decided to go without A/C in our 19' for several reasons.

#1. Hauling around (90 lbs?) of weight and extra wind resistance
#2. In 4 previous years of RV ownership, even living in California we only used it 3 times while camping. We almost never have hookups and running an 11K A/C on the generator was doubly loud.
#3. If we are going somewhere we know we will need it, we plan to use an 8K BTU portable unit and vent through one of the sliders (not getting frameless). These portable units are a lot quieter than the roof-mounted RV A/C units, are lighter weight, and can run easily on our Honda 2000 generator when boondocking. 90+ % of the time we won't even bring it.
#4. Save $1,100
#5. Don't really want another hole in the roof. One of our previous RV's had some water intrusion near the A/C in a very strong rain storm.

The big downside for NOT having A/C for us is going to be resale. That is a really valid point and the one thing that may change our minds. We have a while to think about it.
Lots of really good sound reasoning, except for the last one. The A/C unit does not use a separate opening, instead replaces the ceiling vent.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Works for us. Takes a very few minutes to set-up. It cost about $89.

I wouldn't even think about the re-sale aspect maybe way down the road. The trailer has the wiring in place and it's no biggie for one to be installed in the future if required by a future owner.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21-05-2015 4-53-49 PM_0003_resize.jpg (192.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 21-05-2015 4-54-18 PM_0004_resize.jpg (154.3 KB, 21 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lots of really good sound reasoning, except for the last one. The A/C unit does not use a separate opening, instead replaces the ceiling vent.
OK, thanks ... didn't know that. So without A/C there are 2 ceiling vents and one is the MaxFan, or both are? I spoke with the salespeople at ETI and I got the idea that it was just fiberglass like the rest of the roof. Strange.
skyfree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Works for us. Takes a very few minutes to set-up. It cost about $89.

I wouldn't even think about the re-sale aspect maybe way down the road. The trailer has the wiring in place and it's no biggie for one to be installed in the future if required by a future owner.

Ron
I remember this post , very innovative ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
OK, thanks ... didn't know that. So without A/C there are 2 ceiling vents and one is the MaxFan, or both are? I spoke with the salespeople at ETI and I got the idea that it was just fiberglass like the rest of the roof. Strange.
There are two ceiling vents- the Maxxfan is furthest forward and the standard vent with translucent cover and cranks open is mid-ship. A few have gotten two Maxxfans and we considered it but are happy with this setup. This standard vent is the one where an AC would drop in and I found the electrical wire recently when I removed the vent housing to paint the metal screen that had some corrosion. I think the AC ready feature is standard but would double check.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I remember this post , very innovative ! Pat
Thanks, and the cost per hour is pennies because the vast majority of its use has been in the den window at home.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote