The Big Debate - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2016, 08:36 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Mike Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Santa Rosa County, Florida
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Traveling South throughout the year, you'll need AC. One of the big wows is having the digital thermostat that controls both heat and AC and your AC fan shuts off when at temp unlike traditional RV systems. Big resale point.
Also, others on the forum have said that the digital thermostat will run the A/C at a slower, quieter speed. This is significant because otherwise the A/C unit is really loud. I'd get the A/C and the factory digital thermostat as well.
__________________

__________________
Mike Lewis
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie-- Propane.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
LeonW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Posts: 981
We have only used the AC in our trailer a few times, so like Brian, it has probably cost more than $10.00 per hour. That said, the few times we have used the AC we have been very happy to have it. Amazingly enough, those times were not south of the Mason Dixon line. They were places like Bozeman, MT, Gettysburg, PA and the Dalles, OR. In all those cases I would not have slept well without AC, and was very glad to have it, regardless of the cost. I guess I am getting whimpy in my old age...
__________________

__________________
Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 108
I recall a trip to Isle Royal where the ferry hop off point was Copper Harbor, temp was 90 and none of the motels had a/c or even ceiling fans.....yikes, long nights! The old adage applies here....better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.....But then again, most of your replies are geographically biased, as they should be!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Posts: 166
As of right now, we've decided to go without A/C in our 19' for several reasons.

#1. Hauling around (90 lbs?) of weight and extra wind resistance
#2. In 4 previous years of RV ownership, even living in California we only used it 3 times while camping. We almost never have hookups and running an 11K A/C on the generator was doubly loud.
#3. If we are going somewhere we know we will need it, we plan to use an 8K BTU portable unit and vent through one of the sliders (not getting frameless). These portable units are a lot quieter than the roof-mounted RV A/C units, are lighter weight, and can run easily on our Honda 2000 generator when boondocking. 90+ % of the time we won't even bring it.
#4. Save $1,100
#5. Don't really want another hole in the roof. One of our previous RV's had some water intrusion near the A/C in a very strong rain storm.

The big downside for NOT having A/C for us is going to be resale. That is a really valid point and the one thing that may change our minds. We have a while to think about it.
skyfree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
As of right now, we've decided to go without A/C in our 19' for several reasons.

#1. Hauling around (90 lbs?) of weight and extra wind resistance
#2. In 4 previous years of RV ownership, even living in California we only used it 3 times while camping. We almost never have hookups and running an 11K A/C on the generator was doubly loud.
#3. If we are going somewhere we know we will need it, we plan to use an 8K BTU portable unit and vent through one of the sliders (not getting frameless). These portable units are a lot quieter than the roof-mounted RV A/C units, are lighter weight, and can run easily on our Honda 2000 generator when boondocking. 90+ % of the time we won't even bring it.
#4. Save $1,100
#5. Don't really want another hole in the roof. One of our previous RV's had some water intrusion near the A/C in a very strong rain storm.

The big downside for NOT having A/C for us is going to be resale. That is a really valid point and the one thing that may change our minds. We have a while to think about it.
Lots of really good sound reasoning, except for the last one. The A/C unit does not use a separate opening, instead replaces the ceiling vent.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
#3. If we are going somewhere we know we will need it, we plan to use an 8K BTU portable unit and vent through one of the sliders (not getting frameless). These portable units are a lot quieter than the roof-mounted RV A/C units, are lighter weight, and can run easily on our Honda 2000 generator when boondocking. 90+ % of the time we won't even bring it.
Works for us. Takes a very few minutes to set-up. It cost about $89.

I wouldn't even think about the re-sale aspect maybe way down the road. The trailer has the wiring in place and it's no biggie for one to be installed in the future if required by a future owner.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21-05-2015 4-53-49 PM_0003_resize.jpg (192.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 21-05-2015 4-54-18 PM_0004_resize.jpg (154.3 KB, 21 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lots of really good sound reasoning, except for the last one. The A/C unit does not use a separate opening, instead replaces the ceiling vent.
OK, thanks ... didn't know that. So without A/C there are 2 ceiling vents and one is the MaxFan, or both are? I spoke with the salespeople at ETI and I got the idea that it was just fiberglass like the rest of the roof. Strange.
skyfree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:00 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Works for us. Takes a very few minutes to set-up. It cost about $89.

I wouldn't even think about the re-sale aspect maybe way down the road. The trailer has the wiring in place and it's no biggie for one to be installed in the future if required by a future owner.

Ron
I remember this post , very innovative ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
OK, thanks ... didn't know that. So without A/C there are 2 ceiling vents and one is the MaxFan, or both are? I spoke with the salespeople at ETI and I got the idea that it was just fiberglass like the rest of the roof. Strange.
There are two ceiling vents- the Maxxfan is furthest forward and the standard vent with translucent cover and cranks open is mid-ship. A few have gotten two Maxxfans and we considered it but are happy with this setup. This standard vent is the one where an AC would drop in and I found the electrical wire recently when I removed the vent housing to paint the metal screen that had some corrosion. I think the AC ready feature is standard but would double check.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I remember this post , very innovative ! Pat
Thanks, and the cost per hour is pennies because the vast majority of its use has been in the den window at home.

Ron
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.