Touch Audio VD-400i - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 15A
Touch Audio VD-400i

Does anyone else have this unit that Escape used for their DVD option?I have hardly used the DVD option on the unit and last time out during a big rain ,I decided to put in a DVD,but it only will play in Black and White.And no, it is not the TV as when I got home I checked that out and it is in full colour.Looking on other forums it sounds like most people think the Touch Audio VD_400i unit is pure crap and lots of problems.But can't find anyone else with the B&W issue.
What do others use and have any of you replaced that unit with something else and if so what?

Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Might find the manual here; maybe it's a setup/configuration issue. It is a weird problem.

Electronics - Customer Support

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
What type of connection is used between the DVD player and the TV? If it is S-Video (an old standard, but still a possibility) the colour information is transmitted on separate wires from the black&white, so a bad connection of just one wire can kill the colour. Other analog connection types (such as "component") and digital connections (such as HDMI) would not lose all colour and keep a clear monochrome signal with a simple physical connection failure.

Update
I just looked at the manual, and although the back panel has two unlabeled connection points, the labeled connections include only component (CVBS) wiring... so it won't likely be the S-Video possibility that I mentioned. On the other hand, the posted manual is for a different model (VD 300 WR).
It's looking more like an internal failure or a setup problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
I have not seen this model, but black and white only picture when playing a dvd is usually the result of an rgb/composite video mismatch. In other words, your dvd player may only have a composite output while your tv may have red, green and blue inputs, sometimes called component inputs. If that is the case you can try the following:

make sure the composite out from the DVD is plugged into the green input on the TV. Then go to your TV menu, and somewhere you should find an option to switch the tv's video input from component video to composite video. That usually does the trick.
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #5

I would check the manual which should have come with the trailer, or ask Lippert for a copy if one was not provided (or if it was lost).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I have not seen this model, but black and white only picture when playing a dvd is usually the result of an rgb/composite video mismatch. In other words, your dvd player may only have a composite output while your tv may have red, green and blue inputs, sometimes called component inputs.
Sure, but the usual result of that should be a green-only image, right?
It would be good to see manual for the right model; the one for which Lippert posts a manual is the opposite of this situation: the DVD player has only component (or RGB) outputs - no composite. I found an eBay listing for this model which described the same outputs as the earlier model.

It is 2014... the most reasonable way to attach a DVD (or BlueRay) player to a TV is HDMI, not any of these old analog systems. Perhaps mobile equipment is still stuck in the 20th century?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would check the manual which should have come with the trailer, or ask Lippert for a copy if one was not provided (or if it was lost).

Sure, but the usual result of that should be a green-only image, right?
It would be good to see manual for the right model; the one for which Lippert posts a manual is the opposite of this situation: the DVD player has only component (or RGB) outputs - no composite. I found an eBay listing for this model which described the same outputs as the earlier model.

It is 2014... the most reasonable way to attach a DVD (or BlueRay) player to a TV is HDMI, not any of these old analog systems. Perhaps mobile equipment is still stuck in the 20th century?
Sure looks stuck in the analog age to me. No, placing it in the green input would not produce a green picture. Component input doesn't work that way. This is a way of getting around the 3 into 1 limitation. It does work in many cases. I've done it before. It may not apply here, depending on the inputs available on the DVD or TV.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I'd just replace it with a new player - get Blu Ray capability and WiFi /Netfix, etc in a clean package for under $100. At least that's what my Sony cost.

Great to rent a DVD at a Redbox and drop if off at the next McDonalds down the road.......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd just replace it with a new player - get Blu Ray capability and WiFi /Netfix, etc in a clean package for under $100. At least that's what my Sony cost.

Great to rent a DVD at a Redbox and drop if off at the next McDonalds down the road.......
Well, I'd replace it to. But to make it work as is....
Old 07-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This is a way of getting around the 3 into 1 limitation. It does work in many cases. I've done it before.
I don't doubt that, but I've personally never seen a TV with component inputs that didn't also have a single-cable composite input... not that it likely matters in this case, since the player appears to have component (CVBS) output.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Is that a 12-volt DC mobile unit with radio tuner? It might be worth dealing with mounting and powering home-style equipment (that's what's in my motorhome), but mobile would be better.

Quote:
Yes, and even better in Blu-ray (high definition).