Trying to decide on our options for the 19ft - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #11

Re: Trying to decide on our options for the 19ft

Like you, we don't tend to travel to hot places. For us, air conditioning is extra up-front cost, extra weight and extra aerodynamic drag. We have not been in a situation where running the fan was not good enough. The windows are tinted, so the trailer is not a greenhouse. On a sunny 30-degree day, we can safely leave our dogs in the trailer with the fan running and a water dish on the floor.

I wish that we had sprung for extra insulation and double-glazed windows. Camping in freezing temperatures leads to condensation, and you want to minimise that.

I wish I had ordered a stainless steel sink.

Dual 6 V batteries are a must.

We have never used our screen room.

Biggest change we made after delivery was getting a 3-inch memory foam topper from The Foam Shop. We have a 17-foot without a permanent bed, so the topper would make it difficult to use the dinette feature. But having a comfortable bed is critical to vacation success - you can't be happy without enough sleep.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Geo

3-inch memory foam topper in our trailer.
Makes the bed just right :-)
Geo

Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21

These ideas are helping a lot. Don't like the idea of the exterior rivets either! We actually have a separate screen tent that we can take along. When we first ordered our Escape 19 we were going to be towing with a Honda Odyssey van and wanted to keep our options as light as possible. Upon reflection we started feeling very uncomfortable about towing at the van's full capacity and traded up to a Honda Ridgeline truck. Now we can tow more and carry more. I know, not always the smartest but those options keep beckoning! The extra insulation and thermal windows are doable as far as weight goes, it's the pocket book that now reaches capacity! lol
Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
3-inch memory foam topper in our trailer.
Makes the bed just right :-)
Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew

I wish that we had sprung for extra insulation and double-glazed windows. Camping in freezing temperatures leads to condensation, and you want to minimize that.

I wish I had ordered a stainless steel sink.
- you can't be happy without enough sleep.
Going for the stainless steel sink.
Also, a good night's sleep is critical for us too. We have an Ikea memory foam we will be using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist [quote=escape artist
Hi: donandbea...and WELCOME!!! I find instant gratification every time I set foot in our 5.0... never tire of seeing it or being in it!!!
It's great to hear the excitement doesn't end on delivery!!
Bea
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #15

We own a 15B and did opted for the screen room. It is very easy to set up by ONE person and comes in handy. We too live in the north and it does a great job of keeping the bugs at bay. Also it has the effect of reducing the wind's action on the canopy. Many others are rolling up their canopies when the wind comes up, but we find it reduces it's effect by a large amount. It also adds a little to privacy. In the morning we sit out there and have our coffees, many times still in our PJ's.
donwesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
Biggest change we made after delivery was getting a 3-inch memory foam topper from The Foam Shop. We have a 17-foot without a permanent bed, so the topper would make it difficult to use the dinette feature. But having a comfortable bed is critical to vacation success - you can't be happy without enough sleep.
One suggestion for those considering adding a "Topper" at least for the 17' is to ask Reace to move the receptacle under the folding table as high as possible so it isn't buried under the topper.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwesen
We own a 15B and did opted for the screen room. It is very easy to set up by ONE person and comes in handy. We too live in the north and it does a great job of keeping the bugs at bay. Also it has the effect of reducing the wind's action on the canopy. Many others are rolling up their canopies when the wind comes up, but we find it reduces it's effect by a large amount. It also adds a little to privacy. In the morning we sit out there and have our coffees, many times still in our PJ's.
Hi Don we just live around the corner from you on Teichman, next time we see a 15 in one of the local campgrounds on our morning walk we'll keep walking and say hi in the afternoon
PGDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #18

Suggestion:
Consider having some of the interior and exterior lights controlled by centrally located switches. We grouped all our outside lights on one switch near the door, and wish we had grouped the loft (Escape 5.0) lights on a single switch near the door. Opt for the LED lights...the extended battery is worth the price.

Dave
Old 05-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #19

Thanks Dave, We did just change to all LED's but hadn't considered the concept of a grouping the switches.
Bea
Old 05-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #20

The loft on the 5.0 requires clambering over the bed to flip on the lights. It won't be a problem in the 19, I' suspect. An additional change I wish we'd made was to have the lights installed at the extreme forward end of the trailer (at the head of our bed). They provide enough light for reading, but I would have preferred them mounted more "above our heads" when lying down. I think I'm going to install a second set of lights and wire the group into a single switch...but will do a bit of studying first...I'd hate to have the trailer detonate in a ball of fire (or just blow fuses).

Dave