Water leak in rear of 2014 Escape 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Water leak in rear of 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

We’re starting to get our 2014 Escape 5.0TA ready to head to South Carolina for New Years. The trailer has been sitting uncovered, outdoors in Massachusetts since July. We’ve been running the furnace while working in it and just discovered water and ice under the table toward the street-side. The street-side lower compartment is dry and the street-side of the lower rear compartment has a layer of ice. It appears to have been wet for a while as there is quite a bit of mold on the wood molding below the table.
Does anyone have any thoughts on where the water is coming in? There’s no signs of it coming in around the windows. The caulking around the upper taillights has shrunk allowing a slight build-up of pine needles to develop. Would that be a likely source? I don’t want to remove the taillight(s) before getting to a warmer place as I don’t think it should be re-caulked in freezing weather. What kind of caulking do you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your advice,
David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&R_MA View Post
We’re starting to get our 2014 Escape 5.0TA ready to head to South Carolina for New Years. The trailer has been sitting uncovered, outdoors in Massachusetts since July. We’ve been running the furnace while working in it and just discovered water and ice under the table toward the street-side. The street-side lower compartment is dry and the street-side of the lower rear compartment has a layer of ice. It appears to have been wet for a while as there is quite a bit of mold on the wood molding below the table.
Does anyone have any thoughts on where the water is coming in? There’s no signs of it coming in around the windows. The caulking around the upper taillights has shrunk allowing a slight build-up of pine needles to develop. Would that be a likely source? I don’t want to remove the taillight(s) before getting to a warmer place as I don’t think it should be re-caulked in freezing weather. What kind of caulking do you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your advice,
David
Hi: D&R_MA... We had a leak in the upper tail lights. The red lenses warped outwards in the middle and let the water flood in. Our overhead cabinet on the pass. side got soaked in a Mich. downpour and so did the blanket up there.
I pulled the light units away from the fiberglass, resealed the wire holes, replaced the #8 Robertson screws with #10 S/S ones and applied plenty of white ProFlexRV sealant around the lenses. No more leaking!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Any pictures would be helpful....showing the exact location. I believe your rear window is fixed and non opening so the tail lights would be a good starting place or the driver side Escape window. Does it have the drain holes drilled to allow water to exit?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi David my guess is it’s coming in the top brake/running lights. Ours also warped creating a gap in the hot weather. I have used a product called Mulco Flex 9000 as a glazier, it can be used in cold weather and stretches a phenomenal amount, skins over and sets rapidly. Remember to remove the screw put in some sealant and replace the screws.
https://buyat.ppg.com/REP_PafPaintTo...06XX0_CAEN.pdf

Cheers
Doug
Old 12-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Does it have the drain holes drilled to allow water to exit?
I'd be interested to know why manufacturers of tail lights don't provide this drain hole feature. Likely is a reason.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Yea, I think it's the tail lights too. Get some No Residue Duct Tape and tape the top of the lights. I used this stuff in January and left it on for nearly four months (because of rain!) and it literally was no residue.

Drain holes won't help these tail lights. They're the wide ones that warp and pull away from the body a tad which allows water to flow in through the wire holes. There's a reason ETI is no longer using these lights on the top rear of trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
NoResidueDuctTape.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yea, I think it's the tail lights too. Get some No Residue Duct Tape and tape the top of the lights. I used this stuff in January and left it on for nearly four months (because of rain!) and it literally was no residue.

Drain holes won't help these tail lights. They're the wide ones that warp and pull away from the body a tad which allows water to flow in through the wire holes. There's a reason ETI is no longer using these lights on the top rear of trailers.
Hi: Donna D... Red Green will be pleased!!! The Official Red Green Web Site Alf
Old 12-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I put a 2nd layer of Proflex on the upper lights the first spring I had mine, and 3rd layer of it this summer. Never had water in the trailer, at least not that I know of, but the light to trailer bond sucks. I also had to drill drain holes in the bottom aluminum window track of the escape hatch window. The only other thing over there is the electrical port.

Might try drilling a couple drain holes in the window trim, and pick up a tube of Proflex for when you get south, not much you can do in this cold although they are calling for mid 40's later this week.

Maybe try the caulk Doug mentions, might only take 1 application. I had tried removing one and cleaning off the old caulk, way too much work for me. The Proflex you can add over the old layer.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Another thing, the rubber gasket that's supposed to seal the closed escape window was smashed, I had to replace that too. Couldn't find anything like the original so I trimmed up some neoprene gasket to make it work. Never saw any water actually get in the trailer, just the lower channel fill up.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The drain holes I mentioned in my post was referring to the Escape window on the street side where the water was mentioned. It seems it tilts inward and water lays inside. Drain holes allow the water to exit. The drain hole in the running lights on the trailer sides and front were to allow condensation to escape and some are manufactured with them. No drain holes in the sealed tail lights as they are one piece sealed units.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Quote:

Donna,
When did ETI switch to different lights?
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetz View Post
Donna,
When did ETI switch to different lights?
I'm not sure of the exact date of the switch, but here's a photo of the Classic 5.0TA with the horizontal upper lights, and a photo from Escape's website of the newer ones. The long skinny lights do warp a little, and if the seal is not intact, they will leak.

I have two of the long skinny ones mounted vertically on the rear of my 19 (3rd photo) but have had no warping or leak issues with them. The lower horizontal ones (brake and signal lights) aren't warped either. Perhaps the warpage is increased when they are mounted up high because they are more exposed to UV light, or perhaps the mounting area isn't dead flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic 5.0TA Rear.JPG   RearDriversSide-2.jpg   19 Rear Classic.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Thanks!
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The long skinny lights do warp a little, and if the seal is not intact, they will leak.
Our top middle light has a problem and I can only guess that it needs ProFlex. We have not gotten up there yet to look. It has only four lights working and that is hardly.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
So, back to the weep hole thing. Shouldn't any water that found its way inside have drained down and out the weep hole located just behind the mud flap rather than allowing enough water to be retained inside to make a layer of ice inside?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
I'll try the No-residue Duck Tape to get to warm weather and then go with the Proflex RV Sealant. The Mulco product doesn't seem to be available anywhere close to us.

Thanks for the help,

David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #17

Hi: All... Here we go again... Four inches of Fla. rain last night outside and it started to drip in!!! It's like we camped under Niagara Falls. Going for more Pro Flex and doing a re seal. Wasn't on my to do list but hey... it's got to be done!!! Alf
Old 01-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Alf, can you tell us where the leak is?
Old 01-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Going for more Pro Flex and doing a re seal.
Rear upper tail lights?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Rear upper tail lights?
Hi: Donna D... Don't tell me how you know that!!! One in this "White house" is a leaker. Alf