Weber Q Low Flame with Quick Connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Weber Q Low Flame with Quick Connect

My Weber Q has been converted to run off the Escape’s low pressure quick disconnect, but the flame is very low. Has anyone else had this problem? It is as though the regulator at the trailer’s tanks is reducing the pressure more than the Weber would like. But I have read the many posts of people successfully doing this modification to the Weber Q’s and having good luck. (By way of background, the regulator on the Weber HAS been removed and there are NO leaks in the lines or connections.). Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:37 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Mine seems low too, but if given 10 min to preheat it's still plenty hot to burn my food. I sear directly over the burners. If I think of it I'll check the grate temp later.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Mine seems low too, but if given 10 min to preheat it's still plenty hot to burn my food. I sear directly over the burners. If I think of it I'll check the grate temp later.
Thanks Bob. The flame is a fair bit lower then when using the little 1lb disposable bottles, but like you I am hoping it is enough to work and avoid buying another (low pressure specific) BBQ!
Old 01-27-2020, 12:29 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Regulators are far from perfect, and at least some are also adjustable to some extent. The propane pressure could be checked, and if it is low it may be possible to adjust the regulator enough to correct it.

There will be pressure loss due to resistance to flow in the hoses and tubing between the regulator and the appliance. If the pressure only low at the end of the hose, it could be set a bit higher so that it is high enough at the Weber but still not above the acceptable range at any of the built-in appliances. To see if pressure loss due to flow resistance is the problem, you would need to check the pressure at the Weber while it is operating, which would mean adding a tee fitting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Regulators are far from perfect, and at least some are also adjustable to some extent. The propane pressure could be checked, and if it is low it may be possible to adjust the regulator enough to correct it.

There will be pressure loss due to resistance to flow in the hoses and tubing between the regulator and the appliance. If the pressure only low at the end of the hose, it could be set a bit higher so that it is high enough at the Weber but still not above the acceptable range at any of the built-in appliances. To see if pressure loss due to flow resistance is the problem, you would need to check the pressure at the Weber while it is operating, which would mean adding a tee fitting.
If checking the propane pressure this thread may be helpful. It focuses on checking at the refrigerator test port as fridge performance with low pressure has been an issue in the past, but I like the idea that Brian suggested that a fitting be made to check the pressure at the quick connect. This is exactly where you are speculating you have a problem so maybe you can hook a manometer up to this port. As Brian suggested it would be best done with some type of tee fitting so you can run the Weber during the test.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...tor-13755.html

Maybe a test fitting could be made with a quick connect tee and appropriate adapters to get to a barbed fitting for the manometer tube on the one leg while running the grill on the other. The tee fitting could be handy in the future if you wanted to run two items at once.
https://www.amazon.com/MENSI-Standar...13821437&psc=1
https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...01132-MBS.html
https://www.amazon.com/FasParts-Fema.../dp/B013VSD23O
Old 01-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
We use a Weber Q that has been modified to run on the low pressure quick connect. It easily runs at 400 degF, which is typically the temp that we use. If it is cold out, it may take a bit longer to get to temp.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Our Weber Q runs as well if not better on the quick connect. We did have the trailer regulator checked and adjusted as suggested above and it was low. After adjustment the fridge has run much better as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #8

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the insight - there are some smart folks on these forums, I am glad I asked the question. Rather than go and buy a manometer and fittings, I think plan A for me will be go to the Osoyoos Rally in a few months and hope that someone there has one I can use (and, perhaps, the knowledge of what to set the regulator to). If that doesn't work, I'll move to plan B!
Old 01-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Thanks everyone for the insight - there are some smart folks on these forums, I am glad I asked the question. Rather than go and buy a manometer and fittings, I think plan A for me will be go to the Osoyoos Rally in a few months and hope that someone there has one I can use (and, perhaps, the knowledge of what to set the regulator to). If that doesn't work, I'll move to plan B!
If Iowa Dave is there, he is your man. Helped me out at the Mississippi River Rendezvous.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17B - Café con Leche - 2020
I found this link:

I'm not sure if it is safe or reliable information to follow it.